There's nothing like a juicy burger topped with Smashburger sauce served with classic french fries. But, sometimes, you just need something different. Thankfully, the best part about burgers is that they are super versatile and go great with a million delicious sides. So, if you're wondering what else to serve with hamburgers besides regular 'ol fries, you're in the right place.
This collection of easy sides (and more!) includes many perfect choices for savory burgers. These ideas are packed with great flavors so that your next BBQ, cookout, or family burger night will be one to remember!
Looking for tips to make burgers from scratch? Check out my homemade burger guide to learn which type of meat is best, how to form burger patties so they don't fall apart, hamburger freezing tips, and more.
What sides go well with hamburgers
Burgers are classic American comfort food. The main ingredients vary including ground meat, a binder (like an egg), and seasoning. So, these simple flavors go well with tons of your favorite delicious side dishes.
However, you can switch up the simple recipe as much as you like—there are enough perfect side dishes to go with whatever you're craving!
Pair a classic burger with classic sides, or experiment with a different type of burger. For instance, add some Mexican seasoning to your burger patties and serve them with black beans and sweet corn!
Since we're already eating the burgers with our hands, finger-food sides make a great option. However, don't shy away from sides you need a fork to eat—salads, pasta, and potatoes add the perfect flavor and texture to complement any of your favorite burgers.
Potato, pasta salads, and coleslaws
A good burger tastes even better when it's served with a great side dish. Break out of your meal-planning rut and experiment with these fabulous, mouth-watering recipes.
- Creamy avocado pasta salad
- Deviled egg potato salad
- Sweet potato fries
- Vegetable macaroni salad
- Diced and roasted sweet potatoes
- Italian bow-tie pasta salad
- Classic potato salad
- Homemade french fries (it is a classic pairing, after all!)
- Sweet potato wedges
- Air fryer baked potatoes
- Homemade potato chips
- Creamy and crunchy slaw
- Scalloped potatoes
- Slow cooker baked beans
- Southern-style ham pasta salad
- Vinegar coleslaw
- Cracker Barrel cheesy potatoes
- Pesto pasta salad
- Caprese pasta salad
- Smashed potatoes
Some of the best sides to serve with burgers are quite effortless—like vegetables!
With just a few simple ingredients and maybe some fresh herbs or zingy spice, you'll add so much flavor to an already delectable dinner.
- Corn casserole—shown in the photo above!
- Onion rings
- Baked Brussels sprouts
- Air fryer buffalo cauliflower
- Grilled mushrooms and onions
- Fresh corn on the cob (steamed is a great choice on busy weeknights)
- Grilled asparagus with Parmesan cheese and herbs
- Steamed broccolini
- Outback wedge salad
- Cucumber salad
- Pickled veggies
- Watermelon salad with feta cheese (not a veggie, but it's delish)
- Grilled potatoes/veggies—great way to cook your whole meal on the grill
- Cucumber tomato salad
- Italian stuffed mushrooms
- Caprese salad—don't forget balsamic vinegar and fresh basil
- Green beans
- Lemon and garlic broccoli
- Mediterranean white bean salad
- Baked zucchini chips
- Quinoa salad with spinach
- Bacon-wrapped and grilled asparagus
- Grilled squash
What's for dessert?
Treat your taste buds to a little something sweet! After a satisfying, simple dinner of burgers and classic side dishes, these easy desserts make a great addition to your meal.
- Easy, no-bake lemon icebox pie (pictured above)
- Root beer floats
- Ice cream sundae (don't forget hot fudge!)
- No-bake Oreo balls
- Strawberry crunch cake
- Snickers chocolate chip cookies
- Homemade Rice Krispy treats
- Mexican fruit salad
- Pineapple fluff salad
- Butterscotch pudding
- Air fryer pineapple
- Easy s'mores bars
- Pink lemonade cupcakes
What side dishes don't go with burgers
Though there are so many classic burger sides, it's important to remember not everything goes well with the yummy main meal.
For the best burger night ever, I'd save recipes like these for another time:
- Potstickers are super flavorful and have a tender, meaty filling. However, two types of ground meat in one meal is a little too much.
- While it tastes great as a base for tacos or burritos, cilantro lime white rice doesn't pair well with burgers. Save it for Taco Tuesday instead!
- Sausage balls with cream cheese taste great as an easy app or side dish, but are too similar to burgers to serve with them.
Great burgers recipes
Now that you've decided what to serve with hamburgers make sure that the star of your meal will shine! After all, the best hamburger sides will taste even better served with a perfect patty.
- When you don't want to grill outside, these Lipton Onion Soup baked burgers save the day! Plus, they're packed with flavor.
- Air fryer burgers are so easy, and, best of all, keep your kitchen clean! No grill smoke or splashing oil to worry about.
- Asian turkey sliders are a mini version of your new favorite burger recipe. Sliders are fun to eat and great with mango salsa!
- Or, opt for full-size with these grilled turkey burgers. They come out extra juicy every time!
- Even meat-eaters enjoy this vegan nut burger recipe. It's packed with protein and doesn't skimp on satisfying flavor.