You'll love how simple this crock pot baked beans recipe is. Baked beans is a classic recipe and always a hit on a hot summer day at your bbq and perfect for a picnic. Thet are great served hot or cold!
I've made them in the slow cooker and also on the stove top and in the oven. Whichever method you prefer you get the same pot of deliciousness at the end.
Love beans? Make sure to try the Navy Bean Soup Recipe!
Why you'll love this easy recipe
✔️ These Slow Cooker Baked Beans have great meaty flavor with the added bacon and sausage.
✔️ The barbecue sauce and brown sugar add the sweet flavor you're looking for.
✔️ Slow cooking requires so little effort! Cooking the beans this way is such an easy way to make this great recipe. Using canned beans makes it so simple!
A must-make for every summer barbeque, this traditional baked beans recipe is a flavorful side dish!
Please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post for the exact measurements.
- green pepper and red pepper
- canned beans drained - use a variety of beans; kidney beans, pinto beans, black, cannelloni beans, black beans, navy beans, great northern beans, garbanzo beans, etc. Use your favorite beans!
- crushed tomatoes
- barbecue sauce - use your favorite!
- you can use light or dark brown sugar
- dry mustard - substitute Dijon mustard if you'd prefer.
- slices of bacon
- mild or spicy Italian sausage
Instructions for crockpot baked beans
This is an overview of the instructions for the crockpot baked beans. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Start by sautéing the bacon and sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. (If you have one of those fancy slow cookers that sautés also you can eliminate that step and do that right in the cooker).
- Then just chop the veggies, open and drain the cans - mix it together and toss it in the slow cooker
- Set it on low and all the hard work is done!
- Eight hours later and the beans are ready.
Instructions for the stovetop and oven
- Follow instructions 1-2. above.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Place in casserole dish or heavy bottom pot, Seal well.
- Place in preheated oven for 2 hours
- You can also cook them on low on the stovetop for 1 hour 30 minutes.
This is the best baked beans recipe - use whichever method you'd prefer!
Yes, canned beans are perfect for making crock pot baked beans. It makes this dish super easy to make!
Yes beans can be overcooked in the crockpot. Rather than cook on high, cook on low 6-8 hours.
For this recipe, be sure to rinse the canned beans.
You can use uncooked dry beans for this recipe, however you'll need to increase the cooking time AND increase the amount of liquid.
Beans are cooked when they are tender. If they fall apart, they are overcooked.
- A teaspoon of chili powder or a pinch red pepper flakes will add heat.
- Ground beef can be swapped for the mild Italian sausage if you'd prefer.
- If you'd prefer, use maple syrup or molasses to the beans instead brown sugar.
- Apple Cider Vinegar gives the slow cooker baked beans a little tang.
- If you have some, toss in some pre-cooked bacon, it's a great addition!
Refrigerate - allow to cool completely, then place in an airtight container. Refrigerate up to three days.
Freezer - up to 3 months.
Reheat - Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
How to cook dried black beans is another easy side dish. This post gives step-by-step directions.
Bean with Bacon Soup is an easy recipe that takes minutes to make instead of hours - yum!
Here are more easy side dishes you'll definitely want to try!
- Bow Tie Pasta Salad Recipes
- Mediterranean White Bean Salad
- Southern Style Ham Pasta Salad
- Homemade Tomato Relish
There's nothing like a great pot of beans! These are terrific served with:
- Cheeseburgers - no need to start up the grill if the weather is sketchy! Learn how to cook frozen hamburgers patties in the oven!
- No cookout is complete without potato salad (we love mom's recipe!).
- Crescent Roll Hot Dogs - everyone loves pigs in a blanket!
- This bean recipe is terrific served for tailgating or cookouts with beer brats.
If you love a great pot of beans as much as I do, then you will really enjoy this recipe. The beans are sweet with just a hint of spice. They are delicious and so flavorful.
Slow Cooker Baked Beans
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 15.5 oz cans beans drained - I used kidney black, cannelloni and; garbanzo beans, but don't be limited by that. Use your favorite beans!
- 1 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 6 slices bacon
- ½ lb spicy italian sausage
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Chop the bacon and sausage cook on the stove until the fat is rendered from the bacon and the sausage is well browned and crumbled. Remove the bacon & sausage and drain on a paper towel to remove excess fat.
- While the meat is cooking chop the onion and peppers.
- Open and drain all of the cans of beans and place beans in slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients; crushed tomatoes, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, dry mustard, onions & peppers. Add the sausage & bacon and mix to combine.
- Cover tightly, set your slow cooker on low and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours.
- If you make this on the stove, complete all of the above and place into a heavy bottom pot. Turn on low and allow to cook on the stove for 1 hour 30 minutes. You can also place these in the oven and slow cook them at 300 degrees for two hours. Use whichever method you'd prefer.
- Simple and delicious! Great for a cookout or game day and such an easy and fabulous side dish!