These baked beans are seriously delicious! Baked beans are always a hit at a barbecue and perfect for a picnic. I've made them in the slow cooker and also on the stove top and in the oven, so you do what works best for you!
Whichever method you prefer you get the same pot of deliciousness at the end.
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ These Slow Cooker Baked Beans have great meaty flavor with the added bacon and sausage.
✔️ The barbecue sauce and brown sugar add the sweet flavor you're looking for.
✔️ Making them in the slow cooker? Well that makes life easier!
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- green pepper and red pepper
- canned beans drained - use a variety of beans; kidney black, cannelloni beans, black beans, garbanzo beans, etc. Use your favorite beans!
- crushed tomatoes
- barbecue sauce
- brown sugar
- dry mustard
- spicy italian sausage
Instructions slow cooker
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Start by sautéing the bacon & sausage on the stove (if you have one of those fancy slow cookers that sautés also you can eliminate that step and do that right in the cooker).
- Then just chop the veggies, open and drain the cans - mix it together and toss it in the slow cooker
- Set it on low and all the hard work is done!
- Eight hours later and the beans are ready.
Instructions stovetop and oven
- Follow instructions 1-2. above.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Place in casserole dish or heavy bottom pot, Seal well.
- Place in preheated oven for 2 hours
- You can also cook them on low on the stovetop for 1 hour 30 minutes.
Use whichever method you'd prefer!
They also freeze really well. Let's put this pot of slow cooked beans together and enjoy them tonight, YUM!
How to cook dried black beans is another great side dish. This post gives step-by-step directions.
More easy side dishes
- Bow Tie Pasta Salad Recipes
- Mediterranean White Bean Salad
- Southern Style Ham Pasta Salad
- Homemade Tomato Relish
If you love a great pot of beans as much as I do, then you will really enjoy this recipe. The beans are sweet with just a hint of spice. They are delicious and so flavorful.
Slow Cooker Baked Beans
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 15.5 oz cans beans drained - I used kidney black, cannelloni and; garbanzo beans, but don't be limited by that. Use your favorite beans!
- 1 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 6 slices bacon
- ½ lb spicy italian sausage
- Chop the bacon and sausage cook on the stove until the fat is rendered from the bacon and the sausage is well browned and crumbled. Remove the bacon & sausage and drain on a paper towel to remove excess fat.
- While the meat is cooking chop the onion and peppers.
- Open and drain all of the cans of beans and place beans in slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients; crushed tomatoes, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, dry mustard, onions & peppers. Add the sausage & bacon and mix to combine.
- Cover tightly, set your slow cooker on low and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours.
- If you make this on the stove, complete all of the above and place into a heavy bottom pot. Turn on low and allow to cook on the stove for 1 hour 30 minutes. You can also place these in the oven and slow cook them at 300 degrees for two hours. Use whichever method you'd prefer.
- Simple and delicious! Great for a cookout or game day and such an easy and fabulous side dish!