Homemade Tomato Relish Recipe – No canning required! Sweet, juicy tomatoes, onions and spices turned into the best condiment! Simple and delicious this is perfect for your bumper crop of tomatoes. Only 15 minutes with easy to make with step-by-step directions!
Why you’ll love it!
Tomato Relish is tangy, sweet and delicious! It only takes minutes to make and lasts for a couple weeks in the refrigerator.
And since summer is almost over you may have a tomato…. or two….. or ten! This will help you preserve some of those and trust me, it will be your new favorite condiment!
- tomatoes – you can use any variety or color of ripe tomatoes.
- jalapeño peppers or Fresno chili’s – either will be great.
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Dice the tomatoes and onion.
- Slice the pepper in half and mince well. If you don’t like heat, be sure to to remove the ribs and seeds.
- Mix everything together.
- Pour into a jar.
- Let stand for at least an hour.
🙋🏼♀️ Recipe FAQ’s
Chutney is slow cooked and thick and often made with fruits. Relishes are finely diced or grated – this requires no cooking at all!
• Toss it in macaroni salad for an extra added zing!
• Layer it on a toasted bagel with cream cheese, delish!
• Use it as a light salad dressing – it really has great flavor!
• Exchange tomato relish for pickles in potato salad – yum!
• Finish off a grilled veggie patty – everyone will be saying WOW that’s good!
• Better yet – enjoy with my Slow Cooker Mushroom Burger!
• Topping grilled vegetables with tomato relish will give them extra flavor.
• Slather on Toast Points
• It’s delicious on eggs; fried, scrambled or an omelet!
• Add it to your Egg Salad to give it an extra POP!
• Top off your favorite burger!
Not at all! That’s one of the reasons it’s so simple to make!
- You can use any type of tomatoes available; cherry, Roma or beefsteak. Organic or heirloom or the regular variety. Any color works too! Of course the more flavorful the tomato, the better the relish.
- Choose firm ripe tomatoes, overripe or green would not be a good choice.
- Consider doubling the tomato relish recipe! Why? Because the first time I made it…. we ate it all! So then I had to make it again and we ate it also! Refrigerate any leftovers.
Expert Tip: Do not try and can the relish, there is not enough acid to preserve the tomatoes.
I’m excited to share my homemade Tomato Relish recipe with you. This recipe has been in our family for over 100 years, passed down from generation to generation!
More yummy condiments
Alabama White Sauce – tangy and delicious, I love this as a dipper for chicken and it’s a delicious salad dressing. Need more ideas? Just dip a French fry in it and you’ll love it!
Sweet Red Pepper Relish is a tasty option. It’s the perfect balance of sugar and spice!
Don’t forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
I reply to every comment on the blog and I’d appreciate hearing from you! When you make this, be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or use the hashtag #bowlmeover – that’s me! If you love this as much as we do, be sure to leave a five star rating below!
Homemade Tomato Relish Recipe
- 1 cup tomatoes finely diced
- ½ yellow onion finely diced
- ½ jalapeño pepper finely diced,
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp celery seed
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Start by removing the stem of the tomato and finely dice. Do the same with the onion and place them in a bowl.
- Next slide the pepper in half and scrape out the ribs and seeds, finely dice.
- Add the salt, pepper, celery seeds and sugar.
- Using a spoon, miix together all of the ingredients. Allow it to stand at room temperature for about an hour and it's ready to enjoy! Refrigerate leftovers. This keeps in the refrigerator up to two weeks.