Best Egg Salad Sandwich with pickles recipe! It is easy to make, delicious and creamy with a hint of tangy Dijon mustard. Egg salad is the ultimate in comfort food, perfect for a great lunch or dinner.
Why you'll love this recipe
Dan and I were talking about egg salad and here are some of the reasons we love it.
✔️ Great comfort food.
✔️ Creamy and delicious.
✔️ Eggs are super affordable!
Conclusion? Eggs are darn near perfect food!
Let's face it, an egg salad sandwich can be pretty boring. It is often under seasoned and without any fresh ingredients, can really become a yellow, dense mess.
For the exact measurements for this classic egg salad recipe, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- large eggs, boiled
- pickles - sweet pickles or dill pickles, use your favorite!
- herbs - dill, parsley, chives
- dijon mustard, whole grain mustard or yellow mustard
- sweet yellow onion, white onion, red onion or green onion
- salt & pepper
This is an overview of the instructions for the dill pickle egg salad recipe. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Boil eggs, cool in an ice water bath, peel eggs.
- Roughly chop the eggs and add to a bowl.
- Mince the herbs, add the herbs to the bowl along with the mayonnaise, salt and pepper.
- Squeeze half a lemon over the mixture and mix together well.
- Spoon into your favorite bread, serve and enjoy!
Refrigerate cooked hard-boiled eggs, you can cook them ahead and they will last about a week.
Greek Yogurt or miracle whip are the best substitute for mayonnaise.
Egg salad will last about 3 days in the refrigerator.
Here are my favorite bread choices - buttery croissants, toasted rye, white or wheat bread, baguette.
Plunging boiled eggs in cold water will stop the cooking process and keep the yolks from turning green around the edges. Some also say it makes the eggs easier to peel.
Things to know
- Did you know older eggs are easier to peel? This is a great recipe when you have some eggs you need to use. What a perfect lunch!
- The fresh herbs add flavor without excess calories. Pickles and onions add great texture and a squeeze of lemon lightens the salad and brightens the flavor.
- If you are looking for low carb options consider using lettuce as a wrap.
- Add a dollop on a slice of cucumber or a spoonful nestled in a stalk of celery, delish!
- Easily chop the eggs using a fork, egg slicer or pastry cutter.
- Sweet relish, a pickle spear, dill relish are all great additions to this creamy egg salad recipe.
- A splash of pickle brine or dill pickle relish is a tasty addition!
- Substitute butter lettuce for bread to make lettuce wraps.
Egg Salad Sandwich is the ultimate in comfort food. It is easy to make. Delicious and creamy with a hint of bite from tangy dijon mustard. Full of herby freshness from the lemons and herbs.
Refrigerate - Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to three days.
- Deviled Ham Recipe + 25 Leftover Ham Recipes!
- Peanut Butter Honey Sandwich
- Tomato Sandwich with Avocado Pesto
- Portobello Mushroom Sandwich
- Best Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
Also, I’d love it if you would give me a five-star rating below, I know you’ll love this recipe! If you snap a photo and share it please tag me #bowlmeover or @bowl_me_over so I get to see your pics!!!
The BEST Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 2-3 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½ sweet or dill pickle seeds removed, minced
- 1 heaping tbsp herbs - dill, parsley, chives minced
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 heaping tbsp red or sweet yellow onion minced
- ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon each salt & pepper
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Peel and roughly chop the hard boiled eggs.
- Remove the seeds from the pickle with a spoon and mince. Mince the onion and herbs also.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and mix well. Chill until ready to serve.
When I asked Dan what he wanted for lunch he surprised me by asking for an egg salad sandwich. Maybe that was because he's seen me scrolling thru hundreds (thousands?) of Easter pins on Pinterest?
Maybe it is because he wanted normal food? (This happens sometimes in our house 😁) Maybe he was just in the mood for great egg salad sandwich?
When we were kids my folks bought a little home in the country. We had 2 ½ acres and the first thing we got were chickens.
Dad converted the old barn into a place for the chickens to roost and every morning my brother or I would feed the chickens and collect eggs.
I did not like chickens. When we were kids I was attacked by a rooster. It grabbed ahold of my sock and ripped a big hole in it! (True story!) I hated that chicken and I wasn't sad when Dad butchered that chicken.
Easter is right around the corner and soon you'll have an excess of boiled eggs, right?!! So if you have some eggs to use up, this recipe is a great option. If you don't, eggs are on sale right now. It's a great time to buy and make this egg salad sandwich recipe!