Look no further, this is the Best Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe ever! It is easy to make, delicious and creamy with a hint of tangy Dijon mustard. Egg salad is the ultimate in comfort food, packed with fresh herbs and a squeeze of lemon.
Best Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe
When I asked Dan what he wanted for lunch he surprised me by asking for an egg salad sandwich. Maybe that was because he's seen me scrolling thru hundreds (thousands?) of Easter pins on Pinterest?
Maybe it is because he wanted normal food? (This happens sometimes in our house 😁) Maybe he was just in the mood for great egg salad sandwich?
When we were kids my folks bought a little home in the country. We had 2 ½ acres and the first thing we got were chickens.
Dad converted the old barn into a place for the chickens to roost and every morning my brother or I would feed the chickens and collect eggs.
I did not like chickens. When we were kids I was attacked by a rooster. It grabbed ahold of my sock and ripped a big hole in it! (True story!) I hated that chicken and I wasn't sad when Dad butchered that chicken.
Anyway, Dan and I were talking about egg salad and here are some of the reasons we love it.
- Great comfort food.
- It reminds us of picnics and a slower time.
- Creamy and delicious.
- Eggs are super affordable!
Conclusion? Eggs are darn near perfect food!
Easter is right around the corner and soon you'll have an excess of boiled eggs, right?!! So if you have some eggs to use up, this recipe is a great option. If you don't, eggs are on sale right now. It's a great time to buy and make this egg salad sandwich recipe!
Let's face it, an egg salad sandwich can be pretty boring. It is often under salted and without any fresh ingredients, can really become a yellow dense globby mess.
Easy Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe
Grocery list for Best Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe
- hard boiled eggs
- herbs - dill, parsley, chives
- dijon mustard
- sweet yellow onion
- salt & pepper
How long do hard boiled eggs last?
Refrigerate cooked hard boiled eggs, you can cook them ahead and they will last about a week.
What can you substitute for mayonnaise?
If you're trying to make a healthier version, Greek Yogurt would be your best substitute for mayonnaise.
How long does egg salad last?
Egg salad will last about 3 days in the refrigerator.
What is the best bread for an easy egg salad sandwich?
Really, it's all about using your favorite and you can't go wrong! Here are my favorite bread choices
- buttery croissants
- toasted rye
- white or wheat bread
Egg Salad Recipe
Steps to make BEST Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe Ever!
- Boil the eggs and peel.
- Roughly chop the eggs and add to a bowl.
- Mince the herbs, add the herbs to the bowl along with the mayonnaise, salt and pepper.
- Squeeze half a lemon over the mixture and mix together well.
- Spoon into your favorite bread, serve and enjoy!
The fresh herbs add flavor without excess calories. Pickles and onions add great texture and a squeeze of lemon lightens the salad and brightens the flavor.
If you are looking for low carb options consider using lettuce as a wrap. Add a dollop on a slice of cucumber or a spoonful nestled in a stalk of celery, delish!
BEST Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe Ever!
Egg Salad Sandwich is the ultimate in comfort food. It is easy to make. Delicious and creamy with a hint of bite from tangy dijon mustard. Full of herby freshness from the lemons and herbs.
More of my favorite sandwich recipes!
- Deviled Ham Recipe + 25 Leftover Ham Recipes!
- Peanut Butter Honey Sandwich
- Tomato Sandwich with Avocado Pesto
- Portobello Mushroom Sandwich
- Best Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
- Deviled Egg Sliders
Also, I’d love it if you would give me a five-star rating below, I know you’ll love this recipe! If you snap a photo and share it please tag me #bowlmeover or @bowl_me_over so I get to see your pics!!!
The BEST Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 2-3 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½ pickle seeds removed, minced
- 1 heaping tbsp herbs - dill, parsley, chives minced
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 heaping tbsp red or sweet yellow onion minced
- ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon each salt & pepper
- Peel and roughly chop the hard boiled eggs.
- Remove the seeds from the pickle with a spoon and mince. Mince the onion and herbs also.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and mix well. Chill until ready to serve.