We've officially entered tomato season, I'm so excited! Depending on where you are, you'll be plucking tomatoes from bushes in your garden, visiting your local farmer's stand or maybe still buying them at the store. That means it's time to make a tomato sandwich!
Next time try this tomato relish recipe, one more wonderful way to enjoy those fresh tomatoes!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ It's easy!
✔️ It has salty pesto and creamy avocado? YUM!!
✔️ A sandwich doesn't get any better than this!
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- sliced tomatoes
- pre-made pesto
- artisan bread
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Slice the bread and toast.
- Next, slice the avocado in half. Scoop out the flesh into a bowl. Add a squeeze of lemon to keep the color a pretty bright green, sprinkle the avocado with salt.
- Add a spoonful of pesto.
- Mash everything together. Keep the texture kinda chunky - this gives it great texture.
- Evenly divide the avocado pesto between four slices of bread.
- Then add sliced tomatoes and enjoy!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Sharp knife - believe it or not, a bread knife is a great knife to use when slicing tomatoes. This is the knife I use.
Yes, a tomato sandwich is a thing! It's one of the best ways to enjoy vine ripe tomatoes and fresh flavor in the heat of the summer. Often times it's serve with a slather of mayonnaise. Great for lunch or dinner.
A thick sliced beefsteak tomato is the most popular choice for a tomato sandwich.
Slice the tomato ⅛ inch to ¼ inch slices.
Tomatoes will have the best flavor when stored at room temperature. Refrigerating tomatoes changes the texture and flavor.
Things to know
- Tomatoes are best stored at room temperature. Keep them on the counter stem-side down.
- Here's my word of advice. When tomatoes are the star of the show... it's time to go big or go home! What I mean by that, if you aren't able to buy farmers market fresh, splurge on organic heirloom tomatoes.
- Bread toasted or not toasted, that's your choice.
- A buttery toasted garlic bread is a great choice.
- Use a thick slather of mayonnaise on your sandwich instead of avocado. That how you serve a southern tomato sandwich!
Refrigerate - fresh tomatoes will keep about a week on the countertop.
More tomato recipes you'll love
Do you love tomatoes as much as we do? Or.... are you wondering what do with all of the tomatoes growing in your garden? Here are a few more recipes I know you'll love!
- This Tomato Tart is really easy and any time you roast tomatoes... they just keep getting better!
- Tomato Vegetable Soup - great way to enjoy all the summer produce!
- Or if you are in a salad kinda mood, how about this delicious Cucumber Tomato Salad!
See? If you're talking tomatoes, we're speaking the same language! 🍅
- Honey and Peanut Butter Sandwich - another classic sandwich.
- Twisted PB&J Sandwich - you have to trust me and try this one. It's an odd combination, but it is amazing!
- Portobello Mushroom Sandwich - dripping with bbq sauce you won't miss the meat, I promise!
- Deviled Egg Potato Salad, this creamy salad is the perfect combination of flavors!
- Amish Refrigerator Pickles - crispy, sweet and delicious!
- Don't forget the cookies! White Chocolate Dipped Oreos - so yummy!
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Tomato Sandwich with Avocado Pesto
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes sliced
- 1 avocado
- ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon pre-made pesto
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 slices bread artisan bread recommended
- Slice the bread and toast it (if desired).
- Next, slice the avocado in half. Scoop out the flesh into a bowl. Add a squeeze of lemon to keep the color a pretty bright green. Sprinkle with salt. Add the pesto. Mash everything together. Keep the texture chunky - this gives it a great texture.
- Slather the avocado pesto on the toast.
- Slice the tomatoes and arrange them on top. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
We are lucky, not only do we have great access to farmers markets - 3 days a week within a 3 mile drive, we also have a family two blocks away that sell fruit and veggies from their garden! Homegrown tomatoes I can stop by and grab whenever I want!
And when they are gone? You go on the honor code by weighing them and tucking the $'s in their lockbox - how awesome is that?
So let's talk this sandwich. A plain tomato sandwich is completely amazing! But this sandwich takes the flavors to a whole new level!
It has salty pesto!
And with creamy avocado? YUM!!
A sandwich doesn't get any better than this!
You're going to love this easy meal! One serving is two generous slices!