This easy Deviled Ham Recipe uses salty ham, crunchy celery, tangy pickles and creamy mayonnaise. The peppery bite from Tabasco gives it just the right kick! This ham salad sandwich spread is delicious on bread or crackers and perfect for a sandwich at lunch.
Next time try this Cuban Sliders Recipe - excellent!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
So let's say you make a magnificent meal for the holiday, but you have leftover holiday ham. You've made an amazing Ham and Bean Soup but you still have extra ham.
I make our lunches every morning and this is a terrific spread to use for sandwiches. Added bonus - tastes even better on day two!
Ditch the canned deviled ham! This homemade Deviled Ham Spread is a new way to repurpose leftovers and makes the best ham sandwiches!
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- ham - leftover ham or ham steak works great! You can even use deli ham.
- celery, onion - to add crunch and flavor, white, red, yellow onion or green onion would all be delicious.
- sweet pickle relish - adds crunch and sweetness to balance the flavors.
- mayonnaise - for creaminess and to bring it together.
- black pepper, Tabasco Sauce - for spiciness. Though if you have a spicy hot sauce you enjoy, by all means use that!
I love the combination of different textures and flavors. This is delicious on bread or crackers. Or if you prefer a low carb version pack it in a stalk of celery or top off a cucumber slice. Easy-peasy right?
This is an overview of the instructions for the Ham Salad Sandwich Spread. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Cut the ham into cubes and rough chop the celery and onion.
- Add these ingredients to the food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are chopped.
- Drain the relish well.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl, add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Spread on crackers or bread, refrigerate leftovers.
Of course you could also chop the ham using a sharp knife, but using your food processor or a meat grinder makes this recipe come together quickly and easily!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Food Processor - mine is an inexpensive model and it works just fine!
- Cutting Board - these boards come in a ton of different colors and are reversible too. Dishwasher safe, bonus!
- Glass Storage Containers - love these reusable containers!
The canned version you find in the grocery store is filled with preservatives and sodium. This homemade recipe eliminates all that and adds of a ton of flavor and crunch. This version is much better for you!
Refrigerate leftovers. Properly stored it will last up to five days.
Absolutely! Sealed well, just tuck it in the freezer - it will last about three months.
Deviled ham is a spiced up ham salad sandwich spread. You can use cayenne pepper, Tabasco sauce or even jalapeños. The meat is finely chopped and additional flavors are added to make it creamy and/or crunchy.
Spice it up with a hot pepper or two - jalapeños, sriracha or tabasco sauce would be delicious! A squeeze of fresh lemon juice would brighten the flavors!
A splash of Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce adds a little spice and a nice pop of salty goodness!
Make deviled ham salad sandwiches with cream cheese, deviled ham spread and cucumber slices. Add some zip with a bit of dijon mustard!
Probably the most popular "deviled" recipe is deviled eggs! Always yummy!
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Freeze up to three months.
Serve this on fluffy white bread or a great sourdough bread. It's also delicious on English muffins or rolls. Top a great green salad with the deviled ham spread as well - delicious!
More recipes using leftover ham:
- Ham and Potato Casserole - cheesy and delicious this easy to make casserole is a family favorite!
- Split Pea Soup - so much flavor and yet so easy to make!
- This recipe for Southern Ham Pasta Salad is a great side dish or light lunch. It's delicious!
- Homemade Hash - an easy meal that comes together in a snap. Perfect for breakfast for dinner.
- Don't forget to save the ham bone - that and a couple cups of ham will make the best Navy Bean and Ham Soup.
Still have leftover ham? Leftovers are perfect for salads, sandwiches, soup, and great for breakfast! Here are several recipes for more inspiration!
Be sure to save the hambone - it will add flavor and it's the start to a great soup!
Deviled Ham Recipe
- 3 cups cubed ham
- 2 stalks celery
- ½ sweet yellow onion
- ½ cup mayonaise
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon tobasco sauce
- ¼ cup sweet relish well drained
- Chunk the ham into cubes. Also rough chop the celery and onion. Add these ingredients to the food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are chopped.
- Drain the relish well. This will keep the spread from getting soggy.
- Remove the ham spread from the food processor and add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Spread on your favorite bread, crackers, cucumbers or celery. Refrigerate leftovers. Even better on day two!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
💭 Recipe backstory
Leftovers, do you love them or hate them? Me, I love them! I love repurposing leftovers into a great new meal. It's one of my favorite things to do!
Taking our Chinese food and combining it with some fresh veggies and making a soup.
Thinking I have an avocado for the salad but no! Dang it... I don't want to run to the store... and then digging in the back of the fridge and realizing I have marinated artichoke hearts. A quick switch can transform yesterdays dinner into a whole new meal!
You'll be surprised what you can come up with when your time and budget are limited!