This easy Deviled Ham Recipe uses salty ham, crunchy celery, tangy pickles and creamy mayonnaise. The peppery bite from Tabasco gives it just the right kick! This ham salad sandwich spread is delicious on bread or crackers and perfect for a sandwich at lunch.
Deviled Ham Recipe
Leftovers, do you love them or hate them? Me, I love them! I love repurposing leftovers into a great new meal. It’s one of my favorite things to do!
Taking our Chinese food and combining it with some fresh veggies and making a soup.
Thinking I have an avocado for the salad but no! Dang it… I don’t want to run to the store… and then digging in the back of the fridge and realizing I have marinated artichoke hearts. A quick switch can transform yesterdays dinner into a whole new meal!
You’ll be surprised what you can come up with when your time and budget are limited!
So let’s say you make a magnificent meal for the holiday, but you have a ton of leftover ham… of course you’ll want to save the hambone and make Ham and Bean Soup, right?
But there’s still a pile of ham leftover… This Deviled Ham Recipe is a great repurposing of leftover ham!
What is deviled ham?
Deviled ham is a spiced up ham salad sandwich spread. You can use cayenne pepper, Tabasco sauce or even jalapeños. The meat is finely chopped and additional flavors are added to make it creamy and/or crunchy.
You can also “devil” chicken or lobster. Probably the most popular is deviled eggs.
What is Deviled Ham made of?
- ham – leftover ham or ham steak works great!
- celery, onion – to add crunch and flavor.
- sweet relish – adds crunch and sweetness to really balance the flavors.
- mayonnaise – for creaminess and to bring it together.
- pepper, Tabasco Sauce – for spiciness.
I love the combination of different textures and flavors. This is delicious on bread or crackers. Or if you prefer a low carb version pack it in a stalk of celery or top off a cucumber slice. Easy-peasy right?
Is deviled ham good for you?
The canned version you find in the grocery store is filled with preservatives and sodium. This homemade recipe eliminates all that and adds of a ton of flavor and crunch. This version is much better for you!
Ham Salad Sandwich Spread
How to make deviled ham at home
- Cut the ham into cubes and rough chop the celery and onion.
- Add these ingredients to the food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are chopped.
- Drain the relish well.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl, add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Spread on crackers or bread, refrigerate leftovers.
I make our lunches every morning and this is a terrific spread to use for sandwiches. Added bonus – tastes even better on day two!
How long does Deviled Ham last?
Refrigerate leftovers. Properly stored it will last up to five days.
Can you freeze deviled ham?
Absolutely! Sealed well, just tuck it in the freezer – it will last up to six months.
Still have leftover ham? Leftovers are perfect for salads, sandwiches, soup, and great for breakfast! Here are several recipes for more inspiration!
p.s. Save the hambone – it will add flavor and it’s the start to a great soup!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Items you may need for this recipe
- Food Processor – mine is an inexpensive model and it works just fine!
- Cutting Board – these boards come in a ton of different colors and are reversible too. Dishwasher safe, bonus!
- Glass Storage Containers – love these reusable containers!
If you post a photo, please tag me! I’d love to see your pictures! You can tag me with #bowlmeover or if you’re on Instagram use @bowl_me_over I can’t wait to see how yummy this turned out for you!
I would love it if you gave this recipe 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars!!
Deviled Ham Recipe
- 3 cups cubed ham
- 2 stalks celery
- ½ sweet yellow onion
- ½ cup mayonaise
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp tobasco sauce
- ¼ cup sweet relish well drained
- Chunk the ham into cubes. Also rough chop the celery and onion. Add these ingredients to the food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are chopped.
- Drain the relish well. This will keep the spread from getting soggy.
- Remove the ham spread from the food processor and add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Spread on your favorite bread, crackers, cucumbers or celery. Refrigerate leftovers. Even better on day two!