Easy Potato Soup made with simple ingredients for the most savory and delicious meal! This is a thick, creamy filling soup that is easy to make. This vegetarian potato soup is hearty and filling and simply scrumptious!
Every couple of weeks I put together a care package for my mother-in-law. She’s 84 years old and no longer cooks. A few months back when I took her to the doctor for a check-up, we discovered she’d lost 22 pounds in a real short period of time.
No surprise since her diet consisted mainly of canned food & frozen meals. Really nothing tastes good to her anymore!
This is not unusual. As we age, we begin loose different senses including the sense of taste. Medicines can change the way things taste also. Sometimes it’s hard to find food that she enjoys.
It was tough trying to convince her we could help, but once we did, I started making meals for her. Her favorite soup is this easy potato soup.
SHOPPING LIST FOR EASY POTATO SOUP
- russet potatoes
- yellow onion
- vegetable stock
- cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- sour cream
This is an easy vegetarian soup and rather than purée it, I leave it chunky and so it is thick and satisfying. Also, I prefer adding sour cream instead of heavy cream or milk – the sour cream gives it a nice tang and depth of flavor. It tastes like it’s been simmering all day long!
How do you make potato soup from scratch?
- Chop the onion and celery, peel and dice the potatoes.
- Heat a large pot on the stove over medium heat.
- Add the butter & olive oil then add the onions, celery and season
- Next, add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and increase the heat to high. Bring to a boil – stirring quite often – this will release the starch in the potatoes and help thicken the soup.
- Depending on the size of the dice of the potatoes it will take 14-18 minutes. Cook the potatoes until they are fork tender. The stew will be quite thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in both kinds of cheese and the sour cream. That’s it! So thick and creamy and an easy meal to put together in a short amount of time!
Want all of my tips and tricks to make the BEST soups from scratch? Click here!
Now I hesitate to say this is a 30 minute soup, but I do make this in 30 minutes from start to finish. But I’m truly hustling the whole time.
Love Easy Potato Soups? I have a few more on the blog:
- Instant Pot Potato Soup with Ham – this one is DE-lish!!!
- Sweet Potato Soup – full of delicious flavor!
- Loaded Potato Soup – full of bacon, cheese, sour cream – everything you’ve dreamed of in a twice baked potato loaded into a bowl of soup!
- Turkey Corn Chowder – don’t let the name fool you, this tasty soup is loaded with potatoes!
Dicing the potatoes small will lessen the cooking time. Bonus? You can get a big scoop on your spoon! Simple, basic ingredients – you probably have everything in your fridge and pantry – so why not make this for dinner tonight?
SOUP MUST HAVES!
Click here for my soup gift guide! 10 MUST have items for making your own soups and stews at home!
I hope you give this recipe a try. I think after tasting this, it may be your favorite too!
Looking for more delicious potato soup recipes?
- Creamy Potato Soup – Cooking Classy
- The Ultimate Creamy Potato Soup – Sugar Spun Run
- Slow Cooker Potato Soup – Juggling Act Mama
Amazon Disclosure: Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
This beautiful Cast Iron Dutch Oven is perfect to make your favorite soup in!
Love this recipe? Please leave a comment with a five-star rating below, or pop me a note. I love hearing from you! If you make this, be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over
Easy Potato Soup
Easy Potato Soup #MeatlessMonday
Easy Potato Soup made with simple ingredients for the most savory and delicious meal! This is a thick, creamy filling soup that is easy to make. This vegetarian potato soup is hearty and filling. It's everyones favorite meal!
- 6-8 cups russet potatoes peeled and chopped (3-4 large potatoes
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream or cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Begin by chopping the onion and celery.
Heat a large pot on the stove over medium heat add the butter & olive oil then add the onions & celery - season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
Next peel and dice the potatoes - add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes.
Add the vegetable stock and increase the heat to high. Bring to a boil - stirring quite often - this will release the starch in the potatoes and help thicken the soup. Depending on the size of the dice of the potatoes it will take 14-18 minutes. Cook the potatoes until they are fork tender. The stew will be quite thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in both cheeses and the sour cream. That's it! So thick and creamy and an easy meal to put together in a short amount of time!
One last picture of Mama’s little helper…..I’ve mentioned this before, but we have dogs & and cats – it’s often challenging to take a picture with so many helpers nearby. Dudley was just dying for a taste! 😀 This picture is too cute not to share!