An Easy Potato Soup Recipe made with simple ingredients, this soup is savory and delicious, a thick, creamy filling soup that is easy to make! This creamy easy potato soup is hearty and filling and simply scrumptious AND on your table in just 30 minutes!
Easy Potato Soup
Dan and I decided to go rogue for V-Day. No perfume or roses, no pressure either. We both had a crazy busy week and because we were traveling to Sacramento on Friday, we decided we'd do Valentine's Day then.
That works, right?
So instead, I thought I'd make soup for dinner Thursday night. This is one of our favorites so I knew Dan would love it.
I was busy making soup and had it just about finished when Dan came home with dinner - a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich. He said it's no big deal, but I thought if I did this you wouldn't have to cook, but it's ok... we can eat soup instead.
Meanwhile, he was unwrapping the sandwich and put it on a plate. I took my half and enjoyed a big bite.
Soup and sandwich for dinner instead! Life is what happens when you're busy planning, right? 🤣
SHOPPING LIST FOR EASY POTATO SOUP
- russet potatoes
- yellow onion
- vegetable stock
- cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- sour cream
This is an easy vegetarian soup and rather than purée it, I leave it chunky and so it is thick and satisfying. Also, I prefer adding sour cream instead of heavy cream or milk - the sour cream gives it a nice tang and depth of flavor. It tastes like it's been simmering all day long!
Easy Potato Soup Recipe
What are the best potatoes to use in potato soup?
- Russet Potatoes - first choice, hands down! The only downside is you'll need to peel them. But that will only take a few extra minutes. A russet potato is very starchy and will help you thicken the soup without having to add flour or cornstarch. It's also the most affordable option
- Yukon Gold Potatoes - another great potato that you won't have to peel. These potatoes have a great creamy texture. They are a little starchy and would help thicken the soup. This variety is my second choice for a creamy easy potato soup.
- Red Potatoes - when scrubbed well, you won't have to peel them (always a bonus), these work if you don't want to run to the store.
Can you leave the skin on potatoes for soup?
I do not recommend leaving the skin on the potatoes unless you're using a potato with really thin skin like red, white or Yukon Gold Potatoes. If the skin doesn't completely disintegrate during cooking, it will not be as appealing. Take the time, peel the potatoes!
Can I freeze potatoes soup?
Nope, I do not recommend freezing this soup. The texture of the potatoes becomes mealy and it just doesn't freeze well. Eat and enjoy when fresh!
How do you make creamy easy potato soup from scratch?
- Chop the onion and celery, peel and dice the potatoes.
- Heat a large pot on the stove over medium heat.
- Add the butter & olive oil, then add the onions, celery and season.
- Next, add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sautée all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and increase the heat to high. Bring to a boil - stirring quite often. This will release the starch in the potatoes and help thicken the soup.
- Depending on the size of the dice of the potatoes, it will take 14-18 minutes. Cook the potatoes until they are fork tender. The stew will be quite thick.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Make it as creamy or leave it as chunky as you desire.
- Remove from heat and stir in both kinds of cheese and the sour cream. That's it! So thick and creamy and an easy meal to put together in a short amount of time!
Want all of my tips and tricks to make the BEST soups from scratch? Click here!
Now I hesitate to say this is a 30-minute soup, but I do make this in 30 minutes from start to finish. But I'm truly hustling the whole time.
Dicing the potatoes small will lessen the cooking time. Bonus? You can get a big scoop on your spoon! Simple, basic ingredients - you probably have everything in your fridge and pantry - so why not make this for dinner tonight?
How do I make loaded potato soup?
Loaded potato soup will be filled with bacon, cheese and sour cream, basically, everything that you stuff into your favorite twice-baked potato in a soup! It's delicious and you can find my recipe for Loaded Potato Soup here on the blog.
SOUP MUST HAVES!
Click here for my soup gift guide! 10 MUST have items for making your own soups and stews at home! And if you want to learn how to make all of your favorite soups and stews at home, click here for Homemade Soup; A Complete Guide.
I hope you give this recipe a try. I think after tasting this, it may be your favorite too!
Easy Creamy Vegetarian Potato Soup
Looking for more delicious potato soup recipes?
- Instant Pot Potato Soup with Ham - this one is DE-lish!!!
- Sweet Potato Soup - full of delicious flavor!
- Crock Pot Cream Cheese Ham & Potato Soup - easy crock pot soup loaded with ham and potatoes!
- Turkey Corn Chowder - don't let the name fool you, this tasty soup is filled with potatoes!
Amazon Disclosure: Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
This beautiful Cast Iron Dutch Oven is perfect to make your favorite soup in!
Love this recipe? Please leave a comment with a five-star rating below, or pop me a note. I love hearing from you! If you make this, be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over
Easy Potato Soup
- 6-8 cups russet potatoes peeled and chopped (3-4 large potatoes
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- ½ cup sour cream or cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Begin by chopping the onion and celery.
- Heat a large pot on the stove over medium heat add the butter & olive oil then add the onions & celery - season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Next peel and dice the potatoes - add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and increase the heat to high. Bring to a boil - stirring quite often - this will release the starch in the potatoes and help thicken the soup. Depending on the size of the dice of the potatoes it will take 14-18 minutes. Cook the potatoes until they are fork tender. The stew will be quite thick.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Make it as creamy or as chunky as you desire.
- Remove from heat and stir in both cheeses and the sour cream. That's it! So thick and creamy and an easy meal to put together in a short amount of time!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
The furry family comes out of the woodwork for this soup, can you see Sylvester sitting on the windowsill wishing he could get a bite?
One last picture of Mama's little helper.....I've mentioned this before, but we have dogs & cats - it's often challenging to take a picture with so many helpers nearby. Dudley was just dying for a taste! 😀 This picture is too cute not to share!
This post has been updated to improve the reader experience May 14, 2021.