Easy Tailgating Food – Cuban Sliders!!
I know this is National Soup Day, but Sunday is the Super Bowl and this is a recipe I just have to get to you before Sunday!
At any given time there are at least two jars of dill pickles in our refrigerator. I’m obsessed with pickles. I’m not sure why? When I was a teenager my summer job was working at Steinfelds Pickle Plant in Portland Oregon. (You can read all about it here.) So you’d think after wearing blisters on my thumbs from packing cucumbers into jars, I’d be sick of them.
But no. I eat pickles every day, sometimes several a day. I probably need to seek help! 🤣
When I first saw a recipe for a Cuban sandwich with a big slice of dill pickle of course I had to try it! Cuban sandwiches are stuffed with pork, ham, pickles, Swiss cheese mustard and grilled panini style. In a word, a Cuban sandwich is delicious!
I first got the idea to turn this sandwich into a slider when we were home For Thanksgiving. I developed the recipe there. Served it up to my entire family (for the first time) and got their unanimous stamp of approval.
Like my recipe for Sticky Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese Dip, Cuban Sliders are perfect for game day! They are sweet, buttery, salty, tangy, spicy, cheesy and amazing!
I have some high standards when it comes to game day grub.
- It has to taste fabulous with BIG flavor.
- It can be eaten with your hands while watching TV or tailgating in a parking lot.
- Make-ahead is a must (because I ain’t gonna be in the kitchen during the game).
- They have to be easy.
This recipe checks all of those boxes!
Prepare the butter sauce – melt the butter, add the spices and seasoning. Add about a third of the sauce to the bottom of a baking dish.
Slice the slider buns (this recipe for Easy Dinner Rolls makes a GREAT slider bun!) in half. Slather mustard on both sides of the sliced buns. Put the bottom half of the bun in the buttered baking dish on top of the butter sauce.
Top the bottom half of the bun with a slice of cheddar, thinly sliced deli ham, sliced pickles, top with Swiss cheese and tuck the top of the slider bun on top.
Pour the butter sauce over everything, cover with foil. Put it in the refrigerator for four hours or even better? Overnight.
Bake it off the next day – easy peasy!
Serve hot right out of the oven, delish! Or serve at room temperature. I’ve enjoyed them both ways and They are amazing. That’s why these are great for tailgating and great for the big game!
For these sliders I used sweet Hawaiian rolls. This paired with the salty ham & pickle, gooey cheese and tangy butter sauce, YUM! They are the perfect bite in a slider.
You will love these! They will be the first thing gone on the buffet. Cuban Sliders are sweet, buttery, salty, tangy, spicy, cheesy and amazing! They are perfect for game day!
More great game day grub!
- Vegetarian Pizza Bombs
- Pico de Gallo
- Baked Beans – perfect with these sliders!
- Chicken Wings and Blue Cheese Dip
- 1 package slider rolls (I used Hawaiian rolls - 12 roll package)
- 24 slices ham thinly sliced
- 12 slices Swiss cheese
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 1-2 dill pickles thinly sliced
- Butter Sauce
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp pepper sauce (I used tabasco sauce)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsps poppy seeds
- yellow mustard
- Prepare the butter sauce - melt the butter, add the spices and seasoning. Add about a third of the sauce to the bottom of a baking dish.
- Slice the slider buns in half. Slather mustard on both sides of the sliced buns. Put the bottom half of the bun in the buttered baking dish.
- Top the bottom half of each bun with 1/2 slice of cheddar, 2 pieces of thinly sliced deli ham, sliced pickles and top with Swiss cheese. Put the top half of the sliders on top.
- Brush the remainder of the sauce over the top of the buns. Cover with foil. While you're covering, press down lightly to bind the ingredients. Tuck in the refrigerator for four hours or even better - overnight.
- Remove the pan from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature for 15 minutes. Before baking loosen the foil from the top of the buns (that way they do not stick when you remove the foil after baking).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven. Remove the foil and return the pan back to the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes.