Hot Sloppy Joe Dip is the perfect game-day appetizer! It's easy to make, and this cheesy dip is always a crowd-pleaser. The perfect dip for game day or your next party!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ It's easy to make and a hot dip is always a crowd pleaser.
✔️ It's different than your typical game-day fare. Which makes it a great dip for the big game.
✔️ You only need simple ingredients for this easy sloppy joe dip. It's like the cheesier version of a sloppy Joe!
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- lean ground beef - I use a leaner meat like ground chuck, but if you use an 80/20 mixture just be sure to drain the excess fat.
- bell pepper - you can use green bell peppers, red, orange or yellow!
- diced onion
- Montreal steak seasoning
- brown sugar
- yellow mustard
- beef broth or chicken broth if you'd prefer.
- cheddar cheese
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Brown the ground beef with the onions and bell pepper until no longer pink, drain well.
- Add seasonings Montreal steak seasoning, brown sugar, catsup and yellow mustard. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes.
- Top the meat mixture with cheese. Place under broiler for 2-3 minutes until melted and browned.
*I used a cast iron pan, otherwise, spoon the mixture into a baking dish before placing it in the oven.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- large skillet
- measuring spoons
The sloppy joe sauce is made of Montreal steak seasoning, catsup, brown sugar, and yellow mustard.
If you want your sloppy joes to be thicker, you can add a little flour or cornstarch to the mixture.
The origin of the name u0022sloppy joeu0022 is unknown. However, it is believed to have gotten the name of the cook that originally made this loose meat sandwich.
Things to know
- If you are using extra-lean ground beef, you may need to add a small amount of olive oil or cooking oil to your skillet to prevent the meat from sticking.
- Be sure to brown the ground beef completely before you add the sauce ingredients.
- If you are serving this baked dip at a party, you can keep it warm by transferring the dip to a small slow cooker on low to keep the warm throughout the party.
- This recipe can easily be doubled if you are serving a larger crowd.
Sloppy Joe fans are going to love this recipe! I like to serve this dip with crackers, bagel chips, toasted baguette slices, chips tortilla chips, corn chips, and raw vegetables.
- If you want a little heat, you can add a teaspoon or two of chili powder, cayenne pepper, or crushed red pepper flakes to the sloppy joe mixture.
- For a fun twist, you can top the dip with chopped green onions or jalapeños.
- Instead of ground beef, you can use ground turkey or ground chicken.
- Add more flavor to this delicious dip by adding garlic powder or worcestershire sauce.
Refrigerate - Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Freeze - Freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Reheat - Reheat in a skillet over low heat until warmed through. You can also reheat in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds or so.
More sloppy joe recipes
- Be sure to try the saucy Sloppy Joe Casserole. It's beefy, cheesy and filled with pasta!
- Traditional Homemade Sloppy Joe's are always a great meal
- As is this recipe for Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole - YUM!
- If you're looking for an easy and delicious party appetizer, look no further than this ground beef taco dip! It's easy to make and perfect for feeding a crowd.
- Sticky Baked Chicken Wings - always a hit!
- These Chicken Bacon Ranch Pinwheels are the ultimate party appetizer. They are excellent made ahead and your whole family will love them.
- This Classic Velveeta Cheese Dip is cheesy, zesty, and full of tangy flavors. You can never go wrong with a cheese dip as an appetizer.
- Make this hot party dip and spoon the ground beef mixture over softened cream cheese, trust me you'll be the hit of the party!
- This Cuban Slider recipe is an excellent make-ahead dinner, tailgating bite, or movie night snack. And, it's perfect to serve at your next party with this tasty dip.
- These Italian Stuffed Mushrooms are delectable, creamy and a little bit spicy these mushrooms are mouthwatering and loaded with flavor. They are always a hit on party tables!
- These Sausage Balls are a classic party appetizer that is always a crowd pleaser. So, you don't want to miss making this protein-filled dish.
- If you have leftover Sloppy Joe Dip, slap it on a burger bun - it will be perfect for lunch!
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Hot Sloppy Joe Dip
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Brown the ground beef with the onions and belll pepper until no longer pink, drain well.
- Add the beef stock, Montreal steak seasoning, brown sugar, catsup and yellow mustard. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes until the stock is reduced and the dip is saucy.
- Top with cheese. Place under broiler for 2-3 minutes until melted and browned.
- Serve with baguettes, chips or your favorite dippers!