Easy to make Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole is an easy dinner your whole family will love and definitely have everyone coming back for seconds!
Next time try the Cowboy Tater Tot Casserole - it's one of my favorite easy meals!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️Only minutes of prep time for this easy weeknight dinner.
✔️ Like the Chicken Tater Tot Casserole it's super easy to make, using pantry and refrigerator ingredients.
✔️ it's a family friendly weeknight meal!
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- lean ground beef - can substitute ground chicken or turkey if you'd prefer.
- bell peppers - red bell pepper, green, orange or yellow - you can use whatever you have on hand.
- onion - I prefer yellow onions, white or red will be yummy too!
- Montreal steak seasoning
- brown sugar
- yellow mustard
- frozen tater tots
This is an overview of the instructions for the sloppy joe casserole recipe. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Preheat the oven, dice the veggies. If you're using an oven safe skillet, great otherwise prepare a baking dish by spraying with non stick cooking spray.
- Cook beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add diced bell pepper, onion and seasoning. Sauté until the onions are transparent and bell pepper is softened.
- Add the catsup, brown sugar and mustard to the beef mixture, combine the zesty tomato sauce with the meat.
- Place frozen tots on top of the Sloppy Joe mixture, bake uncovered for 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Cast Iron Skillet - this is a nice size 10.25 inches, I use mine almost daily!
That's really simple! It's a sandwich made with ground beef, typically with a catsup based sauce.
A bright green salad or steamed vegetables would go well with this salad. It will lighten up this rich meal.
Living in Minnesota, I can tell you it's called a hot dish. Super popular these old fashioned meals are perfect for family dinners.
Absolutely! Substitute a 15 ounce can of Manwich.
Absolutely! Brown the ground beef and prepare the meat mixture. Allow it to cool completely, cover and refrigerate. Remove the skillet from the refrigerate 30 minutes before baking. Add the frozen tater tots right before baking.
- Spread the potatoes in a single layer over the top of the casserole.
- For crispy tater tots, place the skillet under the broiler for 2-4 minutes adds great texture to the dish.
- Substitute chili sauce for the ketchup to add a little spice!
- A 15 ounce can of Manwich makes this even easier, but... this homemade sloppy joe sauce is SO GOOD! I hope you try it first!
- A tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce will add another layer of flavor and salty goodness.
- You can always substitute ground chicken or ground turkey for a lighter meal.
- You can stretch this meal by adding frozen corn or a can of corn (drained), and additionally by adding drained and rinsed black beans.
- Four ounces of cream cheese will make the meat mixture creamy and rich. A cup of shredded cheddar cheese sprinkled on the top of the casserole turns this into a cheesy tater tot casserole - yum yum!!!
Refrigerate - allow to cool completely to room temperature. Store in airtight container 3-5 days.
Freezer - this freezes well, up to three months.
Reheat - it can be microwaved, however, for best results reheat in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.
More tater tot casserole recipes
- Love tater tots? Be sure to try the Mexican Tater Tot Casserole next!
- Buffalo Chicken Tater Tot Casserole - tender chicken topped with crispy tater tots. This one is so good!
- Perfect for party or movie night, Tater Tot Nachos or Tachos are what to serve!
- Cowboy Tater Tot Casserole - it's one of my favorite easy meals!
Still hungry? Check out the BEST Tater Tot Casserole Recipes here!
- There are a couple more sloppy Joe recipes on the blog like Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes of course! Everyone's favorite and an easy meal your entire family will love! Or if you're having a party, serve this Hot Sloppy Joe Dip recipe, yum!
- Sloppy Joe Casserole - This beefy casserole is so saucy, filled with pasta and cheese.
- The Stuffed Pepper Casserole Recipe is the most popular casserole on the blog!
- The Rigatoni Bolognese Recipe is a terrific one-pot meal.
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Bake - we love this dish!
- Looking for a great casserole, be sure and try Chicken Spaghetti with Rotel - so cheesy and delicious this is a great make-ahead casserole too.
- Chicken Taco Bake - speaking of family favorites! What's not to love about this easy recipe!!
- A citrus salad with winter greens is absolutely fabulous! This recipe is so rich, keep your dinner light!
- Steamed green beans, steamed Brussels sprouts or roasted broccoli would be fantastic as well.
- For dessert, how about some yummy cookies? Grandma Josephine's Brown Sugar Cookie Recipe is a wonderful sweet treat!
Still, looking for the perfect side dish? Here you go what to serve with Tater Tot Casserole!
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tablespoon montreal steak seasoning
- 1 cup catsup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 cups frozen tater tots
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese optional
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Dice on onion and green pepper.
- Brown ground beef if a large skillet over medium-high heat, drain fat.
- Add diced bell pepper, onion and montreal steak seasoning. Sauté for five minutes until the onions are transparent and bell pepper is softened.
- Add the catsup, brown sugar and mustard, combine mixture thoroughly.
- If you're using the shredded cheese add half of it over the sloppy joe mixture.
- Top with frozen tater tots, (and the remaining cheese on top of the tater tots) and place in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- If desired place casserole under broiler for 2-3 minutes to crisp up the tater tots.