Easy to make Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole is an easy dinner your whole family will love and definitely have everyone coming back for seconds!
Next time try the Cowboy Tater Tot Casserole - another great weeknight dinner!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️only minutes of prep time.
✔️ it's super easy to make, using pantry and refrigerator ingredients.
✔️ it's a family friendly weeknight meal!
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- lean ground beef - can substitute ground chicken or turkey if you'd prefer.
- bell peppers - red bell pepper, green, orange or yellow - you can use whatever you have on hand.
- onion - I prefer yellow onions, white or red will be yummy too!
- Montreal steak seasoning - all the flavor without
- brown sugar
- yellow mustard
- frozen tater tots
This is an overview of the instructions for the sloppy joe casserole recipe. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Preheat the oven, dice the veggies.
- Cook beef if a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add diced bell pepper, onion and seasoning. Sauté until the onions are transparent and bell pepper is softened.
- Add the catsup, brown sugar and mustard to the beef mixture, combine thoroughly.
- Place frozen tots on top of the Sloppy Joe mixture, bake uncovered for 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Cast Iron Skillet - this is a nice size 10.25 inches, I use mine almost daily!
That's really simple! It's a sandwich made with ground beef, typically with a catsup based sauce.
A bright green salad or steamed vegetables would go well with this salad. It will lighten up this rich meal.
Living in Minnesota, I can tell you it's called a hot dish. Super popular these old fashioned meals are perfect for family dinners.
Absolutely! Substitute a 15 ounce can of Manwich.
Absolutely! Brown the ground beef and prepare the meat mixture. Allow it to cool completely, cover and refrigerate. Remove the skillet from the refrigerate 30 minutes before baking. Add the frozen tater tots right before baking.
- Spread the potatoes in a single layer over the top of the casserole.
- For crispy tater tots, place the skillet under the broiler for 2-4 minutes adds great texture to the dish.
Substitute chili sauce for the ketchup to add a little spice!
A 15 ounce can of Manwich makes this even easier (but I admit, the combination in this recipe is excellent! I hope you give it a try first!!)
A tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce will add another layer of flavor and salty goodness.
You can stretch this meal by adding frozen corn or can corn (drained). Additionally by adding drain and rinsed black beans.
Four ounces of cream cheese will make the meat mixture creamy and rich. A cup of shredded cheddar cheese sprinkled on the top of the casserole will send it right over the top.
Refrigerate - allow to cool completely to room temperature. Store in airtight container 3-5 days.
Freezer - this freezes well, up to three months.
Reheat - it can be microwaved, however for best results reheat in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.
- We're going to start with Old Fashioned Sloppy Joes of course! Everyone's favorite and an easy meal your entire family will love!
- Looking for a great casserole, be sure and try Chicken Spaghetti with Rotel - so cheesy and delicious this is a great make-ahead casserole too.
- Chicken Taco Bake - speaking of family favorites! What's not to love about this easy recipe!!
For dessert, how about some yummy cookies? Grandma Josephine's Brown Sugar Cookie Recipe is a wonderful sweet treat!
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tablespoon montreal steak seasoning
- 1 cup catsup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 cups frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Dice on onion and green pepper.
- Brown ground beef if a large skillet over medium-high heat, drain fat.
- Add diced bell pepper, onion and montreal steak seasoning. Sauté for five minutes until the onions are transparent and bell pepper is softened.
- Add the catsup, brown sugar and mustard, combine mixture thoroughly.
- Top with frozen tater tots, place in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- If desired place casserole under broiler for 2-3 minutes to crisp up the tater tots.