Roasted Broccoli with Lemon
If you live on the East Coast of the United States, just close out this email. You will hate me I’m sure.
For my friends in the midwest? You probably should do the same.
You know why?
It was 87 degrees here yesterday! Yup, spring is here a week early in the valley! This time next week and it will officially be spring, yay!
I have to say I do not miss living in the midwest. I miss the people yes, but the weather… not in the least!
Living in the valley definitely has it’s bonuses!
Earlier this week I stopped by a roadside farmers stand and was surprised to see broccoli. This is the first broccoli of the season and it is soo good. First, I was going to make some soup. However, since the weather was so nice we decided to grill, so roasting the broccoli definitely was the way to go.
It was super easy – first I cleaned it really well, washing it several times. I used my salad spinner to dry it. I wanted all of the water gone because when I put it in the oven I wanted it to roast, not steam.
After drying them off, I put them in a small bowl and seasoned the broccoli with olive oil, salt and pepper – that’s it! Then I lightly coated the roasting pan with a spray of non-stick coating and spread out the spears so they roast evenly.
400 degrees – 10 minutes and they were done!
Finish by grating some lemon peel over the broccoli and adding a squeeze of lemon right when it comes out of the oven. Easy, perfect and delicious!
So even if your farmer’s market aren’t open yet you can still have this amazing side dish. Use broccolini or slice the broccoli into small florets. Your cooking time may vary, but you can still enjoy this super easy side dish. Love roasted broccoli and topping it with fresh lemon gives it a super bright flavor and fresh taste!
Couple hints when you’re roasting broccoli (or any fresh vegetable)
- Preheat the oven – you want the oven HOT when the pan is inserted
- Use an aluminum sheet pan (not non-stick), cast iron or Dutch oven – that’s how you’ll get even browning, caramelized edges and flavor.
More of my favorite Vegetable Side Dishes!
Roasted Broccoli with Lemon
- 6-8 cups broccoli florets well cleaned & dried off
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash & clean the broccoli well. Also, dry it completely (you want it to roast, not steam). A salad spinner works great for this.
- Add a spritz of non-stick coating to the baking sheet or cast iron skillet.
- Add the olive oil, salt & pepper to the broccoli and mix well to combine. Pour on the baking sheet and tuck it into the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Depending on the size of your broccoli it will take 10 to 15 minutes to roast.
- When roasting is complete, remove it from the oven and place it on a serving dish. While the broccoli is still hot, sprinkle with grated zest from the lemon (just the yellow part of the skin!) and finish with a squeeze of lemon. Serve additional lemon wedges on the side if desired.