Steamed Green Beans are a super easy, delicious side dish that takes just minutes to make. With only three ingredients they take just minutes to make. Green Beans are perfect when paired with rich heavy meals and leftovers are always put to use. First Published: October 2016 … Last Updated: May 1, 2019
Steamed Green Beans
I want to share with you another recipe from our trip to New Mexico, which is Steamed Green Beans. As I had mentioned a couple of weeks ago, we’d visited with our friends Ron & Michelle in Santa Fe. Michelle had cooked up a storm and we were quite happy to sit back and enjoy her creations.
Michelle is a marvelous cook!
Over the years, one of the (many!) things I’ve learned from Michelle is the simplicity of a perfect dish. Sliced tomatoes, roasted carrots, sautéed Brussels sprouts, pot roast and lasagna – we were in heaven!
Green beans are readily available year-round. In the summer at the farmers market, in the bin at the grocery store or you can even purchase bags of pre-cleaned beans. Whatever works for you is best!
How long do you steam green beans?
How do you prepare fresh green beans?
- Start by snapping off the stems (the tails you can leave on, no need to remove them).
- Then cut them into 2 inch pieces.. Rinse them well and place them in a microwave dish.
How long does it take to cook fresh string beans?
- In the microwave it only takes 4-5 minutes to steam green beans perfectly every time!
How do you cook green beans healthy?
- Steaming green beans is a great way to enjoy a healthy side dish. Topping with just one tablespoon of butter is a guilt free way of adding a ton of flavor!
How do you steam green beans without a steamer basket?
- You can also add water to the bottom of a pan. Make tin foil balls and put a plate on top, adding the beans to a plate and steaming until crisp.
- Wrap the beans in foil, add a bit of butter and a couple tablespoons of water to the packet and seal completely. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake for 15 minutes until crisp tender.
- The microwave (instructions below) are my favorite method!
Steam Fresh Green Beans
How do you steam green beans in the microwave?
- Snapping off the stems of the green beans, no need to remove the ends.
- Cut them into bite sized pieces.
- Rinse them well and place them in a microwave dish.
- Add two tablespoons of water to the dish and microwave on high for four to five minutes. .
- Remove from the microwave and sprinkle with a teaspoon of soy sauce and add a tablespoon of butter, letting it melt over the top.
- Mix well and serve!
That’s it – perfect and delicious every time! Steamed green beans are great for a cookout or the holidays too because you’re not taking up valuable oven-space. If you keep the lid on the casserole dish the beans will stay warm until it’s time to serve.
Here are a few more of my favorite vegetable side dishes from the blog:
- Steamed Brussels Sprouts
- Garlicky Braised Chard
- Roasted Broccoli with Lemon
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Easy Steamed Green Beans
More recipes for healthy style green beans?
- Green Beans Almondine – The Clean Eating Couple
- Oven Roasted Green Beans – Skinny Taste
- Spring Pesto Green Beans – Garlic and Zest
Don’t they look delicious? This is a great side dish too because they compliment and balance when serving with rich heavy foods during the holidays. Steamed Green Beans are a great side when you’re grilling.
They are a quick, easy and healthy side dish.
On a side note, every time I get ready for a photo shoot it’s quite the production. I clean off my dining room table carefully removing all the dust and cleaning the surface well. Then I get out all of my lights. (I use artificial light as the majority of my photographs are taken inside.)
When I begin to take photographs for my blog post. My cat “appears” magically right in the middle of every photo shoot. I’m pretty sure her goal is to get in the middle of everything. Her name is NO (well, actually it’s Stella) because she is a very naughty cat.
Perhaps she likes to have her picture taken? Not sure…. 😀
Click here to check out a great steamer basket for the microwave.
Do you have a favorite side dish? Comment below, I’d love to hear from you! Don’t forget if you make this, please snap a picture and tag me on Instagram!!
3 Ingredient Steamed Green Beans
- 2 pounds green beans
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of butter or more!
- Snapping off the stems of the green beans. The tails you can leave on, no need to remove them. Cut them into 2 inch (bite sized) pieces. Rinse them well and place them in a microwave dish.
- Add two tablespoons of water to the dish and microwave on high for four to five minutes. The exact time will depend on your microwave - check after 3 minutes and adjust the microwave time.
- Remove from the microwave and sprinkle with a teaspoon of soy sauce and add a tablespoon of butter, letting it melt over the top. Mix well and serve. That's it - perfect and delicious every time! This is a great dish for the holidays too because you're not taking up valuable oven-space and if you keep the lid on the casserole dish the beans will stay warm until it's time to serve.