Creamy Beef and Noodle Casserole - seasoned ground beef and tender noodles in a flavorful Italian tomato sauce that's baked until hot and bubbly! This is an easy recipe and hearty ground beef casserole.
Table of contents
Why you'll love this recipe
Why make this recipe (beyond the fact it's delicious?). It's affordable and easy to make. It uses easy ingredients that you have in your pantry and refrigerator. AND it freezes great! If you're making make-ahead-meals, double the recipe and freeze the second meal.
The egg noodle beef casserole is super kid friendly! It's an easy recipe the whole family will love!
These are the ingredients you'll need for the beef egg noodle casserole dish. For the exact measurements, scroll to the bottom of the blog.
- wide egg noodles - egg noodles, but just about any type noodles works! Rotini, penne even elbow macaroni - use what you have on hand.
- ground beef - I use 85% mix - it's less expensive and frankly has more flavor. Just drain the excess fat, if desired.
- large onion - sweet yellow or white onion
- Italian style diced tomatoes - fire roasted tomatoes would also be great. You can use plain diced tomatoes but I like the extra flavor from the seasoned tomatoes.
- shredded cheese - I used Colby Jack, but shredded cheddar cheese would also be delicious!
Making the ground beef noodle casserole is super easy, just follow these easy step-by-step instructions!
- Preheat the oven. Cook the egg noodles and drain well, set aside.
- Now it's time to make the sauce. Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the ground beef, breaking up the meat with a spatula. Cook beef for about 5 minutes.
- Next add the diced onions and seasonings to the pan - cook until onion has softened and beef is completely cooked.
- Now add the tomato sauce and canned tomatoes to the meat mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add the noodles back to the pan with the beef and toss. Add 2 cups of cheese, mix again.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9"x13" baking dish, top with the remaining cheese. Bake this beef casserole recipe until cheese is melted and the casserole is hot and bubbly.
Absolutely! Prepare the recipe; boil the noodles and brown the meat, mixing with the seasonings and sauce. Mix everything together, just hold off on sprinkling the cheese on top - just like stated above. Cover and refrigerate. You can make it ahead up to 2 days. Sprinkle with cheese prior to baking.
You bet! This meal is freezer friendly. Prepare as directed add the cheese to the casserole and mix, pour into the prepared baking pan. Do not top with shredded cheese. Seal well and freeze. Top with cheese prior to baking.
Not really, you can substitute whatever noodles you have on-hand.
Be sure to cook the pasta for the egg noodle casserole al dente. If you overcook them, they will get mushy after baking.
Ground chicken or turkey are both great substitutions to lighten up this meal.
Use pre-shredded cheese to pull this meal together quickly and you can really use any cheese you prefer.
- Add 2 cups of frozen corn or a package of frozen peas and carrots when you're mixing all of the ingredients together - then you won't even need to cook a veggie to go with this yummy beef and noodle casserole!
- A can of drained kidney beans will stretch this meal out a little further and be a delicious addition to the cheesy beef noodle bake!
- Lighten it up by sub'ing ground turkey or chicken in place of beef.
- Toss in a packet of taco seasoning when you're browning the beef for a whole new flavor! Use a Mexican cheese blend and wa-la - great casserole dish!
- No tomato sauce or chopped tomatoes? Use canned spaghetti sauce instead!
Oh my goodness I have some easy dinner recipes on the blog! If you like this ground beef noodle casserole, then you'll be sure to love this recipe for Stuffed Bell Pepper Casserole - all the flavor with none of the fuss!
Butternut Squash Ravioli is amazing and so flavorful! It's fancy enough for company but easy enough for an everyday meal - it's delicious and a hearty meal. Tuna Noodle Casserole is another classic easy dish that everyone loves!
When you make this please comment below and let me know what you think! I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover - so I can see your photos!
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Beef and Noodle Casserole
- 8 ounces egg noodles uncooked
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 15 ounces can Italian style diced tomatoes do not drain
- 2 ½ cups cheddar cheese shrerdded and divided
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray, set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook egg noodles to aldente (cook one minutes less than package directions indicate). Drain well.
- Place the empty pot the noodles were cooked in back on the stove over medium-high heat. (No need to dirty two pots!) Add the olive oil.
- Add the ground beef to the large skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes, breaking up the meat with a spatula. Remove excess grease if desirerd.
- Next add the onion and seasoning to the pan - salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, until onion has softened and beef is completely cooked.
- Now add the tomato sauce, canned tomatoes and Italian to the beef mixture and stir to combine.
- Mix the noodles into the pan with the beef and sauce, toss to combine. Add 2 cups of cheddar cheese, mix again.
- Pour the meat sauce mixture into a 9"x13" baking pan that's been coated in cooking spray. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake the ground beef and egg noodle casserole for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted, enjoy!