Creamy Beef and Noodle Casserole – seasoned ground beef and tender noodles in a flavorful Italian tomato sauce that’s baked until hot and bubbly! This is an easy casserole recipe and delicious make-ahead meal. Your budget will love it as much as your family does.
Why make this recipe (beyond the fact it’s delicious?). It’s affordable and easy to make. It uses easy ingredients that you have in your pantry and refrigerator. AND it freezes great! If you’re making make-ahead-meals, double the recipe and freeze the second meal.
On those days you don’t feel like cooking, you are set!
- egg noodles – I prefer egg noodles, but just about any type noodles would work! Rotini, penne even elbow macaroni – use what you have on hand.
- ground beef – I use 85% mix – it’s less expensive and frankly has more flavor. Just drain the excess fat, if desired.
- onion – sweet yellow or white onion
- Italian style diced tomatoes – fire roasted tomatoes would also be great. You can use plain diced tomatoes but I like the extra flavor from the seasoned tomatoes.
- shredded cheese – I used Colby Jack, but cheddar cheese would also be delicious!
- Preheat the oven. Cook the egg noodles and drain well, set aside.
- Now it’s time to make the sauce. Add the olive oil to a large pan over medium heat. Brown the ground beef, breaking up the meat with a spatula. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Next add the onion and seasonings to the pan – cook until onion has softened and beef is completely cooked.
- Now add the tomato sauce and canned tomatoes to the beef and onions and stir to combine.
- Add the noodles back to the pan with the beef and toss. Add 2 cups of cheese, mix again.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9″x13″ baking pan, top with the remaining cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and the casserole is hot and bubbly.
🙋🏼♀️ Recipe FAQ’s
Absolutely! Prepare the recipe; boil the noodles and brown the meat, mixing with the seasonings and sauce. Mix everything together, just hold off on sprinkling the cheese on top – just like stated above. Cover and refrigerate. You can make it ahead up to 2 days. Sprinkle with cheese prior to baking.
You bet! This meal is freezer friendly. Prepare as directed add the cheese to the casserole and mix, pour into the prepared baking pan. Do not top with shredded cheese. Seal well and freeze. Top with cheese prior to baking.
Be sure to cook the noodles to al dente. If you don’t, the noodles will get mushy after baking.
Use pre-shredded cheese to pull this meal together more quickly and you can really use any cheese you prefer.
- Add 2 cups of frozen corn or a package of frozen peas and carrots when you’re mixing all of the ingredients together – then you won’t even need to cook a veggie to go with this yummy beef and noodle casserole!
- A can of drained kidney beans will stretch this meal out a little further and be a delicious addition.
- Lighten it up by sub’ing ground turkey or chicken in place of beef.
- Toss in a packet of taco seasoning when you’re browning the beef for a whole new flavor! Use a Mexican cheese blend and wa-la – great casserole dish!
- No tomato sauce or chopped tomatoes? Use canned spaghetti sauce instead!
What to serve with Beef and Noodle Casserole?
More of my favorite one pot meals
Oh my goodness I have some tasty easy meals on the blog! If you like this meal, then you’ll be sure to love this recipe for Stuffed Bell Pepper Casserole – all the flavor with none of the fuss!
Butternut Squash Ravioli is amazing and so flavorful! It’s fancy enough for company but easy enough for an everyday meal – it’s delicious and a hearty meal. Tuna Noodle Casserole is another classic easy dish that everyone loves!
Don’t forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you post a photo, please tag me! I’d love to see your pictures! You can tag me with #bowlmeover or if you’re on Instagram use @bowl_me_over I can’t wait to see how yummy this turned out for you!
I would love it if you gave this recipe 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars!!
Beef and Noodle Casserole
- 8 ounces egg noodles uncooked
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 15 ounces can Italian style diced tomatoes do not drain
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil add the egg noodles and cook one minutes less than package directions indicate. Drain well.
- Place the empty pot the noodles were cooked in back on the stove over medium high heat. (No need to dirty two pots!) Add the olive oil.
- Add the ground beef to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes, breaking up the meat with a spatula.
- Next add the onion and seasoning to the pan – salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, until onion has softened and beef is completely cooked.
- Now add the tomato sauce, canned tomatoes and Italian to the beef mixture and stir to combine.
- Mix the noodles into the pan with the beef and sauce, toss to combine. Add 2 cups of cheese, mix again.
- Pour the beef and noodle mixture into a 9"x13" baking pan that's been coated in cooking spray. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted, enjoy!