Gather round the dinner table for this meal. Tuna Casserole with Egg Noodles is classic comfort food!. Tender egg noodles and mushroom soup mixed with albacore tuna, combined with shredded cheese, sliced mushrooms and fresh peas. Baked until hot and bubbly with a crunchy golden brown topping
If you love a great casserole, be sure to put the King Ranch Chicken Casserole on the menu for this week! It's like a cheesy chicken enchilada without all the fussy prep!
🧡 Why you'll love this recipe
This Tuna Noodle Casserole recipe is pure comfort food! It's made using simple pantry ingredients that you keep on-hand.
Everyone needs a simple recipe like this to put together because it's all about pantry staples. It's a great meal when you don't know what to cook and don't feel like going to the store. Look in your pantry and refrigerator, I bet you'll have everything you need!
- tuna - you can substitute canned chicken, that will be terrific as well.
- egg noodles are the traditional choice, but you can use other types of pasta; penne, rigatoni or elbow macaroni would be delicious as well.
- mushroom cream soup - cream of chicken soup or cream of celery soup can be substituted.
- mushrooms - I used canned mushrooms, but you can also use fresh mushrooms. You can also omit them and this classic tuna noodle casserole will still be delicious!
- shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan - substitute Colby, or pepper jack, super yummy! You could substitute pecorino if parmesan cheese isn't available.
- frozen peas are best!
- bread crumbs - panko bread crumbs will make the topping super crispy - yum! You can also use Italian bread crumbs for crispy flavor.
- cook noodles to al dente
- mix together the soup, milk, mushrooms and tuna
- fold in the noodles and cheese, pour into a baking dish, add the crunchy topping
- bake the cheesy tuna casserole in the oven, finish under the broiler
How easy is that? A pantry meal that's delicious and doesn't break the bank - gotta love that!
Bread crumbs - store-bought or homemade, whatever you have! What, no bread crumbs? Substitute with potato chips, crushed pretzels or a can of fried onions.
You can easily make your own bread crumbs using stale bread, rolls or croissants. Just give them a rough chop and blitz them in the food processor.
Bake covered for the first 30 minutes - uncover and finish by browning under the broiler.
I recommend solid white albacore tuna packed in water, certainly use the tuna product you and your family enjoy most!
- Cheddar, Monterey Jack or ? Use your favorite cheese!
- Cook the noodles to al dente so the noodles don't get mushy after baking.
- Substitute chicken for tuna, that's an option also.
- Make in advance - Prepare the casserole up to a day before. Wait to add the topping un
Make in advance - prepare the casserole as directed but do not add the topping. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Remove and allow the casserole dish to come to room temperature. Add the topping on and bake until hot and bubbly.
Let's mix up the toppings! Top the noodle casserole recipe with crushed potato chips, crushed ritz crackers or French fried onions - yum!!
You can use any of the creamed canned soups in this recipe.
Refrigerator - This from scratch Tuna Noodle Casserole keeps in the refrigerator up to three days. Refrigerate leftovers in a food storage container.
Freezer - It freezes wonderfully as well, up to three months.
Reheat - you can reheat in the microwave but my preference is baking so the top re-crisps (that's a word, right?!!). It will take a few more minutes to reheat out of the refrigerator - plan on baking 30-35 minutes.
🥗 Serving Suggestions
- The classic tuna noodle casserole is a rich dish, this recipe for steamed Brussels sprouts balances it so well with its simple fresh flavor.
- 3 ingredient steamed green beans - super delicious and simple it takes just minutes to make!
- This one is a favorite! Braised Swiss Chard - buttery, savory - SO GOOD! Sauté on the stovetop while the casserole is baking!
- Southern Style Green Beans - loaded with bacon, onions and garlic, this isn't your ordinary side dish - YUM!
The blog is filled with easy dishes like Ritz Cracker Chicken Casserole and more simple one pot meals that are quick and easy to make!
- Loaded Baked Potato Casserole - easy to make this can be a side or main dish! I just love these tasty potatoes!
- Everyone loves this recipe for Cowboy Tater Tot Casserole! It's filled with big beefy and flavor and super easy to make and hello.... tater tots!
- Vegetable Casserole - loaded with vegetables topped with sauce and cheese, this one is delicious!
- Even your pickiest eaters will love this recipe! This ground beef casserole has a tomato cheese base and it's so simple to make - family favorite!
- Philly Cheesesteak Baked Tortellini Casserole, easy to make and a real crowd pleaser, this is always on the menu!
- Tamale Pie - an easy Tex-Mex casserole dish everyone loves!
- This recipe for baked pasta primavera is packed with vegetables and perfect for spring and summer!
If you post a photo, please tag me! I'd love to see the photo of your Tuna and Noodle Casserole! You can tag me with #bowlmeover or if you're on Instagram use @bowl_me_over I can't wait to see how yummy this turned out for you!
Classic Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 16 oz. egg noodles
- 2 5 oz. cans tuna packed in water, well drained
- 1 7 oz. can sliced mushrooms well drained
- 1 10 ½ oz. cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups cheese shredded
- 1 ¼ cups half and half
- ¾ cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp butter divided
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Boil egg noodles until just al dente (the package called for 7-8 minutes I boiled them for 6) in salted water. Drain well
- Butter the baking dish using 1 tablespoon butter.
- Drain the tuna and flake. Drain the mushrooms. Shred the cheese.
- In a large bowl, mix the mushroom soup with the half and half.
- Add the noodles, tuna, mushrooms, peas and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Mix everything together well and pour it in the buttered casserole dish.
- Top with bread crumbs and drizzle with the remaining melted butter. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. After 30 minutes, remove the foil and place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes until the top is golden brown.
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
First published May 23, 2018 - Last updated May 18, 2021