Tuna Casserole with Egg Noodles is classic comfort food!. Tender egg noodles and mushroom soup mixed with albacore tuna, combined with shredded cheese, sliced mushrooms and fresh peas. The casserole is baked until hot and bubbly. Finishing it under the broiler makes the top is golden brown and crunchy. It’s a mouthwatering meal your family will love!
Ok… I know, summer is here but before it heats up too much we’ve been enjoy some easy comfort food.
Truthfully, I was feeling sorry for myself too. In March I had eye surgery. A tube that was inserted into the tear duct a few years ago needed to be adjusted. The surgery went well and yesterday I went back to the doctor for a routine recheck, only to I need surgery again. Ahhhh…. So you see? Comfort food was definitely in order. I moped around the house for a couple of hours until I broke out my Mom’s famous quote…. “It is what it is!” Whining about it wouldn’t change anything so I buckled down.
Everyone needs an easy meal like this to put together because it’s all about pantry staples. It’s a great meal when you don’t know what to cook and don’t feel like going to the store. Look in your pantry & frig, I’m sure you’ll have everything you need!
Ingredients for Tuna Casserole with Egg Noodles
- egg noodles
- mushroom soup
- bread crumbs
What can I top a tuna casserole with?
- What, no bread crumbs? Substitute with potato chips, crushed pretzels or a can of fried onions. I didn’t have bread crumbs either but dug thru the freezer and found some croissants that had been in there for ahem… a while…. Into the food processor they went and they were a perfect topping for this easy casserole
Steps to make tuna casserole with egg noodles
- boil the noodles
- mix together the soup, milk, mushrooms and tuna
- fold in the noodles and cheese, pour into a baking dish
- bake in the oven, finish under the broiler
Do you bake tuna noodle casserole covered or uncovered?
- bake covered for the first 30 minutes – uncover and finish by browning under the broiler
How easy is that? A pantry meal that’s delicious and doesn’t break the bank – gotta love that!
What is a good side dish to go with tuna casserole?
- steamed Brussels sprouts – one of my favorite side dishes (easy too!)
- 3 ingredient steamed green beans – super delicious side dish taking just minutes to make!
- garlicky braised chard – these are SO. GOOD! You can cook them up while the casserole is baking!
What kind of tuna is best for this dish?
I recommend solid white albacore tuna packed in water, certainly use the tuna product you and your family enjoy most!
Need more reasons to enjoy this meal?
- It freezes wonderfully and reheats well!
- Cheddar, Monterey Jack or ? Use your favorite cheese!
- Substitute chicken for tuna, that’s an option also.
- One pan meal means easy clean up!
Ok – I wanted to share a couple other options for tuna casserole – all of these recipe have been rated five stars!
Skinnytaste has a recipe for a delicious casserole that doesn’t contain canned soup – Skinny Tuna Casserole Recipe
Another classic tuna casserole recipe I’d like to share from Art and the Kitchen – click here for this recipe
Speaking of five stars be sure to check out my recipe below and let me know what you think! Swing back and leave a comment, I’d really appreciated it.
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
A couple of items you might find helpful if you are making this yummy casserole!
4 piece casserole dish set – Love this set of casserole dishes – they are on my wish list!
Tuna Casserole with Egg Noodles
Tuna Casserole with Egg Noodles
Baked until hot and bubbling, tucked underneath the broiler, this Tuna Noodle Casserole with Egg Noodles is an easy meal and delicious comfort food!
- 6 oz. egg noodles
- 2 5 oz. cans tuna packed in water, well drained
- 1 7 oz. can sliced mushrooms well drained
- 1 10 1/2 oz. cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups cheese shredded
- 1 1/4 cups half and half
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp butter divided
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Boil egg noodles until just al dente (the package called for 7-8 minutes I boiled them for 6) in salted water. Drain well
Butter the baking dish using 1 tablespoon butter.
Drain the tuna and flake. Drain the mushrooms. Shred the cheese.
In a large bowl, mix the mushroom soup with the half and half.
Add the noodles, tuna, mushrooms, peas and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Mix everything together well and pour it in the buttered casserole dish.
Top with bread crumbs and drizzle with the remaining butter. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top.
Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. After 30 minutes, remove the foil and place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes until the top is golden brown.