Tuna Casserole with Egg Noodles is classic comfort food!. Tender egg noodles and mushroom soup mixed with albacore tuna, combined with shredded cheese, sliced mushrooms and fresh peas. Baked until hot and bubbly then finishing it under the broiler makes the top golden brown and crunchy. Tuna Noodle Casserole is an easy meal your family will love!
Easy Tuna Noodle Casserole
Ok… I know, summer is here but we’ve still been enjoy some easy comfort food.
Truthfully, I was feeling sorry for myself too. In March I had eye surgery. A tube that was inserted into the tear duct a few years ago needed to be adjusted. The surgery went well and yesterday I went back to the doctor for a routine recheck, only to I need surgery again.
Ahhhh…. So you see?
Comfort food was definitely in order. I moped around the house for a couple of hours until I broke out my Mom’s famous quote…. “It is what it is!” Whining about it wouldn’t change anything so I buckled down.
Everyone needs an easy meal like this to put together because it’s all about pantry staples. It’s a great meal when you don’t know what to cook and don’t feel like going to the store. Look in your pantry and frig, I’m sure you’ll have everything you need!
Table of contents
- Easy Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Tuna Noodle Casserole from Scratch
- Tuna and Noodle Casserole
Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole
Ingredients for Tuna Casserole with Egg Noodles
- egg noodles
- mushroom soup
- bread crumbs
What can I top a tuna casserole with?
Bread crumbs – store-bought or homemade, whatever you have! What, no bread crumbs? Substitute with potato chips, crushed pretzels or a can of fried onions.
You can easily make your own bread crumbs using stale bread, rolls or croissants. Just give them a rough chop and blitz them in the food processor.
Do you bake tuna noodle casserole covered or uncovered?
- bake covered for the first 30 minutes – uncover and finish by browning under the broiler
What kind of tuna is best for this dish?
I recommend solid white albacore tuna packed in water, certainly use the tuna product you and your family enjoy most!
Steps to make tuna casserole with egg noodles
- boil the noodles
- mix together the soup, milk, mushrooms and tuna
- fold in the noodles and cheese, pour into a baking dish
- bake in the oven, finish under the broiler
How easy is that? A pantry meal that’s delicious and doesn’t break the bank – gotta love that!
Tuna Noodle Casserole from Scratch
What is a good side dish to go with tuna casserole?
- steamed Brussels sprouts – one of my favorite side dishes (easy too!)
- 3 ingredient steamed green beans – super delicious side dish taking just minutes to make!
- garlicky braised chard – these are SO. GOOD! You can cook them up while the casserole is baking!
- Southern Style Green Beans – loaded with bacon, onions and garlic, this isn’t your oridinary side dish!
Need more reasons to enjoy this meal?
- It freezes wonderfully and reheats well!
- Cheddar, Monterey Jack or ? Use your favorite cheese!
- Substitute chicken for tuna, that’s an option also.
- One pan meal means easy clean up!
More of my favorite one pot meals
- Loaded Baked Potato Casserole – easy to make this can be a side or main dish! I just love these tasty potatoes!
- Vegetable Casserole – loaded with vegetables topped with sauce and cheese, this one is delicious!
- Turkey Pot Pie – more mouthwatering easy comfort food!
- Tamale Pie – an easy Tex-Mex casserole dish everyone loves!
Speaking of five stars be sure to check out my recipe below and let me know what you think! Swing back and leave a comment, I’d really appreciated it!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
A couple of items you might find helpful if you are making this yummy casserole!
4 piece casserole dish set – Love this set of casserole dishes – they are on my wish list!
If you post a photo, please tag me! I’d love to see your pictures! You can tag me with #bowlmeover or if you’re on Instagram use @bowl_me_over I can’t wait to see how yummy this turned out for you!
I would love it if you gave this recipe 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars!!
Tuna and Noodle Casserole
Tuna Casserole with Egg Noodles
- 16 oz. egg noodles
- 2 5 oz. cans tuna packed in water, well drained
- 1 7 oz. can sliced mushrooms well drained
- 1 10 1/2 oz. cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups cheese shredded
- 1 1/4 cups half and half
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp butter divided
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Boil egg noodles until just al dente (the package called for 7-8 minutes I boiled them for 6) in salted water. Drain well
- Butter the baking dish using 1 tablespoon butter.
- Drain the tuna and flake. Drain the mushrooms. Shred the cheese.
- In a large bowl, mix the mushroom soup with the half and half.
- Add the noodles, tuna, mushrooms, peas and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Mix everything together well and pour it in the buttered casserole dish.
- Top with bread crumbs and drizzle with the remaining butter. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. After 30 minutes, remove the foil and place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes until the top is golden brown.