Copycat Panda Express Honey Walnut Shrimp Recipe – Crispy oven-baked shrimp tossed in a sweet, succulent sauce then tossed with candied walnuts. this is better than takeout and easy to make!
- frozen coconut shrimp – I used
- sweetened condensed milk
- garlic sauce
- green onions (optional garnish)
- Preheat the oven. Meanwhile, bring the water and sugar to a boil.
- Add the walnuts, cook for two minutes.
- Remove, cool on parchment paper.
- Place the shrimp on baking sheet and bake according to package directions.
- Measure the ingredients for the sauce.
- Add the sauce ingredients to a bowl, whisk to combine.
- Remove the cooked shrimp and immediately toss it in the sauce along with the candied walnuts.
Pro Tips & FAQ’s
This is one of those meals when I first thought of the idea I was like hmmm…. how can I make this dish without all of the hassle?
No deep fat frying.
No messy cleanup.
Frozen shrimp is the way to go!
I used frozen Coconut Shrimp in this recipe. The coating is super crunchy, even after tossing in the sweet sauce.
Where did this dish originate?
Hong Kong perhaps, but most often enjoyed in the United States. This is a dish we see quite often here in California. Have you ever tried it?
What is honey walnut shrimp?
It so delicious! Basically the seafood is breaded and fried (or in this case roasted) and then dunked in in a sweet/spicy sauce. It’s the best combination of crunchy/tangy and sweet!
What is the difference between this and firecracker sauce?
Firecracker sauce is really similar using lemon in place of the mayonnaise and sweetened condensed milk. I definitely need to give it a try – it sounds a little light and the tang from the lemon really would give it a snap!
How do you reheat Panda Express honey Walnut Shrimp?
Putting the shrimp in a bowl and into the microwave will result in soggy shrimp. The best way to reheat this meal is by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Add the shrimp to an oven proof dish for about 15 minutes.
What do you serve with this dish?
My recommendations for are steamed white or brown rice as a side dish. Mongolian Beef would be a nice spicy compliment to this sweet dish or maybe some yummy potstickers – both are savory and would a great combination for a meal.
Steps to make Candied Walnuts
While the shrimp are roasting in the oven – make the candied walnuts. It’s very simple to do.
- Combine water and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Add the walnuts and cook for two minutes.
- Remove from the syrup and cool on parchment paper.
It takes 20 minutes to make this meal which leaves you time to relax! That’s why it is great to have a go-to meal in your pocket.
Panda Express Honey Walnut Shrimp is as delicious at home as when you go out to your favorite restaurant. It’s so good that you’ll never go out for it again!
Honey Walnut Shrimp Recipe
Baked Honey Walnut Shrimp is better than take-out and more affordable than going out!
I’m not kidding your here, this meal is fabulous! I’m so proud to be sharing it with you because you’re going to be proud of yourself serving this for dinner!
My folks go out for Chinese Food every Friday night. In fact, the whole family often meet at their favorite restaurant. There’s usually 10-12 family members and everyone gathers around the table. There’s lots of laughter and a ton of food passed.
It’s always a great time!
I’m a big fan of Asian food and have several great recipes on the blog. Step by step directions on how to make Tuna Poke – so good!!! Korean BBQ Beef and Korean Beef and Broccoli, YUM!! Even Pot Stickers and Fried Rice. There is something for everyone!
So it seems only fitting on today to share one of my quick and easy recipes. It’s a great meal that everyone loves. My Panda Express Honey Walnut Shrimp Recipe uses an easy shortcut and is on the table in about 20 minutes!
Instead of going out or calling for take-out, you’re going to make your favorite Chinese food meals at home!
Here’s why –
- Portion control is simple
- No fuss or mess
- Quick and easy
My shortcut uses storebought breaded frozen shrimp (I used SeaPak®). It’s a great shortcut that will save you a ton of time without compromising flavor! Clean-up is a breeze!
More Asian Food Favorites
Don’t forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
When you make this please be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – I’d love to see your pictures! And if you get a chance, please comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Easy Honey Walnut Shrimp Recipe
- 1 SeaPak® Jumbo Coconut Shrimp or use your favorite frozen breaded shrimp. I prefer the jumbo coconut shrimp
- Candied Walnuts
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 2 green onions (optional garnish) slice the green onions on the bias, set aside for garnish.
- 3/4 cup white rice (I used a quick cooking jasmine rice) cook according to package directions
- Cook rice according to product directions.
- Preheat the oven according to package directions.
- While oven is preheating make the candied walnuts. Bring water and sugar to a boil. Boil for two minutes, stirring often.
- Add the walnuts and cook an additional two minutes. Remove from the boiling sugar with a slotted spoon and allow to cool on parchment paper.
- Cook the frozen shrimp according to product directions
- Make the sauce. Combine mayonnaise, honey, sweetened condensed milk and chili garlic sauce in a large bowl. Whisk together to combine.
- Remove the shrimp from the oven and immediately toss it and the walnuts in the sauce to coat. Spoon over rice, sprinkle with sliced green onions. Serve immediately.