If you're a fan of Panda Express Honey Walnut Shrimp Recipe - Crispy oven-baked shrimp tossed in a creamy sweet sauce then tossed with candied walnuts. It's the perfect balance of sweet and crunchy!
This is better than fast food and easy to make!
Why you'll love this recipe
Baked Honey Walnut Shrimp is better than the Panda Express version and more affordable than going out to your favorite Chinese restaurants!
I'm not kidding you here, this meal is fabulous! I'm so proud to be sharing it with you because you're going to be proud of yourself serving this for dinner!
Here's why -
- the shrimp is crunchy and tender with a sweet coating.
- it's easy to make!
- No egg whites, tempura batter, deep fat frying or messy cleanup!
This copycat recipe uses store bought breaded frozen shrimp (I used SeaPak). It's a great shortcut that will save you a ton of time without compromising flavor!
Just like your favorite Chinese restaurant, you'll love this Copycat Panda Express Honey Walnut Shrimp Recipe! Using an easy shortcut puts it on the table in about 20 minutes!
For the exact measurements, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- frozen coconut shrimp - the freezer is the way to go here. No breading or deep frying needed! Choose large shrimp when possible. I like coconut shrimp because I like the crispy coating.
- walnuts - preferably whole or half walnut pieces.
- honey and sweetened condensed milk - for the sweet honey sauce.
- mayonnaise - helps make the sauce super creamy.
- garlic sauce - adds a little flavor and a hint of spice.
- sugar - for the candied walnuts.
- rice - for serving with the meal.
- green onions or cilantro - both are optional garnishes
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Preheat the oven. Meanwhile, bring the water and sugar to a boil.
- Add the walnuts, cook for two minutes.
- Remove, cool on parchment paper or a paper towel.
- Place the shrimp on baking sheet and bake according to package directions.
- Measure the ingredients for the sauce.
- Add the sauce ingredients to a bowl, whisk to combine.
- Remove the cooked golden brown shrimp and immediately toss it in the creamy honey sauce and top with the honey walnuts.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Sheet Pans - I prefer aluminum sheet pans (not non-stick) and they come in several different sizes.
- This metal spatula is great. The handle isn't wooden so it can go right into the dishwasher.
- You'll need a small saucepan as well. This one is great because the lid actually includes a strainer.
Hong Kong perhaps, but most often enjoyed in the United States. This is a dish we see quite often here in California. Have you ever tried it?
It so delicious! Basically the seafood is breaded and fried (or in this case baked) and then dunked in in a sweet/spicy sauce. It's the best combination of crunchy/tangy and sweet!
Firecracker sauce is really similar using lemon in place of the mayonnaise and sweetened condensed milk. I definitely need to give it a try - it sounds a little light and the tang from the lemon really would give it a snap!
Putting the shrimp in a bowl and into the microwave will result in soggy shrimp. The best way to reheat this meal is by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Add the shrimp to an oven proof dish for about 15 minutes.
Got leftovers? Yay!! If you're wondering what the best way to reheat honey walnut shrimp is in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake on a baking sheet and reheat until crispy, about 15 minutes or so.
Watch for frozen shrimp to be on sale, buy and freeze so that way when you're in the mood for honey walnut shrimp you won't have to make a special trip!
My recommendations for are steamed white or brown rice as a side dish.
- Mongolian Beef would be a nice spicy compliment to this sweet dish.
- Yummy potstickers, or egg roll in bowl - both are savory and would a great combination for a meal.
- Chicken Chow Mein - you'll love this delicious homemade recipe!
- This amazing Low Carb Thai Crunch Salad is a simple dish and so good!
I'm a big fan of Asian food and have several great recipes on the blog!
- You know those fancy Poke bowls? Check this out for step by step directions on how to make Tuna Poke - so good!!!
- Korean BBQ Beef and Korean Beef and Broccoli, YUM!!
- Egg Roll in a Bowl serve with some Pot Stickers or Fried Rice. There is something for everyone!
Asian food is my favorite cuisine, if you're looking for a few more tasty meals, how about trying Sesame Noodles, Korean Style BBQ Beef Recipe, Teriyaki Noodle Recipe or Korean Black Bean Noodles recipes next?!! They are so delicious and great meals with authentic flavor!
Easy Honey Walnut Shrimp Recipe
- 8-10 Jumbo coconut frozen shrimp or use your favorite frozen breaded shrimp. I prefer the jumbo coconut shrimp
- Candied Walnuts
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 2 green onions (optional garnish) slice the green onions on the bias, set aside for garnish.
- 1.5 cups white rice (I used a quick cooking jasmine rice) cook according to package directions. Or serve over brown rice if you'd prefer.
- Cook rice according to product directions.
- Preheat the oven according to package directions.
- While oven is preheating make the candied walnuts. Bring water and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Boil for two minutes, stirring often.
- Add the ½ cup walnut halves and cook an additional two minutes. Remove from the boiling sugar with a slotted spoon and allow to cool on parchment paper.
- Cook the frozen shrimp according to product directions
- Make the sauce. Mix mayonnaise, honey, sweetened condensed milk and chili garlic sauce in a large bowl. Whisk together to combine.
- Remove the shrimp from the oven. Immediately toss the crispy shrimp and the caramelized walnuts in the sweet creamy sauce to coat. Spoon over rice, sprinkle with sliced green onions. Serve immediately.
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
👩🏫 What I've Learned
This is one of those meals when I first thought of the idea I was like hmmm.... how can I make this dish without all of the hassle?
No deep fat frying.
No messy cleanup.
I used frozen Coconut Shrimp in this recipe. The coating is super crunchy, even after tossing in the sweet sauce. It's a great shortcut and makes prep and clean up so much easier!
It takes 20 minutes to make this meal which leaves you time to relax! That's why it is great to have a go-to meal in your pocket.
Panda Express Honey Walnut Shrimp is as delicious at home as when you go out to your favorite restaurant. It's so good that you'll never go out for it again!
First Published: February 28, 2017 Last Updated: May 4, 2022 to improve reader experience.