Super simple this savory, French Onion Chicken Bake is flavorful and delicious! Like the recipe for Apricot Chicken Casserole, you won't believe how little effort goes into this tasty meal! Topped with glorious melted cheese, it's yummy enough for Sunday supper or an easy weeknight meal!
Next time try French Onion Salisbury Steak - it's easy to make and SO GOOD!
Why you'll love this recipe
Of all the easy recipes on the blog, it uses your favorite soup and it's pure comfort food! This will be a go-to again and again.
✔️ Rather than taking an hour to make sweet caramelized onion, this recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make!
✔️ This one-skillet meal has tender, juicy chicken breasts that makes its own rich broth and gravy - love that! It's a meal your entire family will enjoy!
✔️ If you love the classic flavors of french onion soup, this recipe is for you!
This easy dinner recipe is one the whole family will enjoy! Be sure to top it with plenty of French onion sauce.
For the exact measurements for the French onion chicken skillet meal, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- classic French onion Soup mix, undiluted
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- French onion seasoning mix
- bread crumbs - recommend panko bread crumbs, but you can use Italian bread crumbs or plain if you'd prefer.
- Swiss cheese - I love how it gets all melty and browned. Though you can also use gruyère cheese, that would be amazing!
This is an overview of the instructions for the baked chicken. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Preheat the oven. Prepare a casserole dish or large skillet with non-stick spray.
- Pour the French Onion soup (undiluted) into the bottom of the pan, add the chicken.
- Spread mayonnaise on top of the chicken breast. Season chicken breasts with French onion soup mix and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Top chicken breast with a slice of cheese.
- Place in oven for 20-25 minutes. Test with meat thermometer. Remove from the oven when it reaches 160 and allow to rest for 5 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- The equipment for this dish is so simple! You'll just need a baking dish - these are super affordable and come in a variety of sizes (it's a great deal!)
- or a cast iron skillet - with this recipe I used a 12" cast iron skillet. This is also a great value and comes pre-seasoned.
Yes! Though it will add another step, it also adds a layer of flavor! Browning the chicken also means it won't take as long to bake - plan on 15-20 minutes in the oven. Just test it to make sure the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Of course! Sauté the sliced onions in olive oil and a little butter. Lay the cooked onions on the bottom of the baking dish, pour the soup overtop and finish the recipe as directed.
Absolutely! Layer the ingredients as directed, but do not add the cheese. Cover, place on low and cook 6-8 hours. Place cheese on the ½ hour before it's done, place the cover back on the crockpot and cook for an additional 30 minutes. Finish under the broiler if desired.
- Spoon a bit of the onion gravy on top when serving - AMAZING!
- If you have large chicken breast slice them in half (do what I didn't do!). That way no one has to share the amazing crust on top of the chicken.
- Tent the chicken after removing from the oven while it's resting so it stays HOT.
- If you want to deepen the flavor of the French onion soup, add a few dashes of worcestershire sauce.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Large cast iron skillet - this one saves you a step as it's pre-seasoned
Substitute ranch or Italian seasoning mix for the French onion mix for a whole new flavor.
You can make this with just about any kinds of cheese;
- parmesan cheese or provolone cheese. Last time I made this I added all three - a sprinkle of parmesan cheese from the green can and a slice each of Swiss and provolone - those melted cheeses are the best part!
- Gruyere cheese (love the nutty flavor!), a slice of provolone or mozzarella cheese would be fabulous too!
Use bone-in chicken breast or chicken thighs. You'll need to add about 20 minutes to the cooking time, but that's an option as well. Bone-in meat is always so juicy and tender!
Make this recipe for sautéed mushrooms and yellow onions top it with the chicken and bake, that would be amazing!
No chicken? Use pork chops! that would be amazing!
Refrigerator - allow to cool complete and cover with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container.
Freezer - this freezes great! Consider making a double batch and freezing one. Make sure you add plenty of sauce as well.
Reheat - Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, reheat covered in baking dish in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
- Cheesy Ranch Chicken - baked in the oven, this makes tender, juicy chicken every time!
- Love your onions? This Tangy Green Onion Dip is so simple and perfect for an easy party dip.
- Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Thighs - juicy and tender every time!
- This Pizza Spaghetti Casserole gets a BIG flavor punch from a can of French onion soup!
- Still hungry? Be sure to try this Easy Slow Cooker Roast Beef another recipe that starts with a simple can of soup!
- Be sure to try the Ritz Cracker Chicken Casserole Recipe soon - it's so amazing and has the best crispy crust!!
- Another family favorite is the Frito Pie Casserole Recipe - it's one of the most favorite casseroles on the blog!
- Looking for more one-pot cheesy goodness? Then you have to try Chili Mac n Cheese, it's filled with delicious tender pasta and loads of flavor!
This is a great main dish and one of my favorite easy chicken recipes!
- A perfect side dish would be steamed green beans or roasted broccoli. A delicious green salad like this tasty wedge salad is a great choice!
- Baked potatoes or Mashed Potatoes are a must! Because it's super yummy with the gravy.
- A couple of times I've served this with the Ham and Potato Casserole dish and that is an excellent combination!
- THIS jiffy cornbread in cast iron skillet recipe would be amazing this dish as well!
- For dessert, serve the Mountain Dew Apple Dumpling recipe - yum!!!
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
French Onion Chicken Casserole
- 10.5 ounce French onion soup undiluted
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ounce French Onion Soup Mix that's one package
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 3-4 slices Swiss cheese
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Pour the French Onion soup (undiluted) into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Lay the chicken on top of the soup.
- Slather the chicken with mayonnaise. Sprinkle with dry French onion soup mix, add the bread crumbs on top and finish with a slice of cheese on top of each piece of chicken.
- Place in oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove when it reaches 160 and allow to rest for 5 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.