Bright, crisp lettuce topped with creamy blue cheese, salty bacon and bright fresh tomatoes that burst with flavor! This copycat Outback Wedge Salad Recipe is an easy to make, delicious salad everyone loves!
Blue Cheese Wedge Salad
My brother and my cousin Wayne have a thing about Wedge Salads. Both travel for work often and when eating out always order this salad. When they do they always post a photo on Facebook.
Between the two of them they probably have 50 photos of salad from everywhere including the Outback Steakhouse Salad.
I’ve asked but I’m not privy to the joke? So…. I don’t get it, but suffice to say I’ve seen a lot of salad photos!
But when you think about it, who doesn’t love a great salad? (A Steakhouse Salad is one of my favorites!) The wedge salad is a favorite I love the creamy salad dressing and the blue cheese crumbles! Salty bacon with fresh tomatoes to cut thru the heavy dressing – YUM!.
This is an easy salad, so simple to put together!
I’ve even served it for large groups because it can be made ahead. One year at our family reunion, we had about 35 for dinner. I made this salad using 4 heads of lettuce cut into smaller wedges.
I figured it was safe because not everyone would eat it…right? Unfortunately, (fortunately?!!) everyone loved it! There wasn’t a crumb left in the pan at the end of the meal!
What is a wedge salad?
If you’ve never had a wedge salad it’s made from a head of iceberg lettuce, sliced into four wedges.
Ingredients for Outback Steakhouse Wedge Salad
- iceberg lettuce
- cherry tomatoes
- red onions
- green onions
- blue cheese dressing
- blue cheese crumbles
Optional Toppings for Salad
- bell peppers
- red onions
- nuts or sesame seeds
- avocado chunks
- raw corn
- frozen peas
Really you can top this salad with any of your favorite toppings!
How do you eat a wedge salad?
Iceberg lettuce is is served in a wedge and it’s best to use a knife to slice it into bite size piece at the table.
What is the best lettuce for this salad?
Iceberg of course! I know many think it is a throw-away lettuce, but when it is fresh, the flavor is so bright!
Can this salad be made ahead of time?
Yes, you can prep all of the ingredients – fry the bacon, drain and crumble. Slice and dice the fresh vegetables, have everything prepped so you can slice the lettuce and top shortly before serving!
Should you wash the lettuce?
Yes, you should wash the lettuce before serving. The best way is to remove any limp or brown outer leaves. Remove the core and run it under cold water. Invert it so water can easily drain.
Outback Steakhouse Wedge Salad Recipe
What to serve with wedge salad!
So many yummy savory ingredients – creamy blue cheese, salty bacon, fresh tomatoes
You can make your own salad dressing or cheat and use your favorite store bought dressing. Taking a shortcut? That’s ok by me, I’ll never tell! 😉
More of my favorite Salad Recipes!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
- You’ll need a great knife for all of this slicing and dicing! Click here for the knives I use and recommend.
- Here’s an affordable set of cutting boards for the kitchen.
When you make this please be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – I’d love to see your pictures! And if you get a chance, please comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Outback Wedge Salad
Iceberg Wedge Salad Recipe
- 1 head iceberg lettuce cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup red onions thinly sliced
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 4 slices bacon cooked & crumbled
- blue cheese salad dressing recipe below or store bought
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Slice the lettuce head in half and again so there are four wedges. Remove the core & place the wedges on a platter.
- Slice & quarter the cherry tomatoes, dice the red onion & slice the green onion.
- Top each wedge with blue cheese dressing (this helps the other items to stick), cherry tomatoes, red and green onions & blue cheese crumbles. Sprinkle with fresh ground pepper.
Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk or milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Mix all of the ingredients together – if the mixture is too stiff, add some buttermilk or milk to loosen it up. Refrigerate for 1 hour to allow the flavors to combine, stir again before serving – enjoy!