Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad Recipe with crunchy greens and tangy brussels with bright fresh fruit. Top your salad with creamy or tangy balsamic dressing. This is great side salad or an easy lunch for any time of the year!
Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad
I realized when I posted my Steakhouse Salad Recipe recently how much I’ve neglected my salad lovers! It has just taken off with 9,000 shares and counting. Shame on me, that won’t happen again, I promise!
At heart, I’m definitely a soup and salad kinda gal. Casual comfort food is probably one of the BEST ways to describe my blog, wouldn’t you agree? Yes, I think so too!
So having said that… I have a new salad for you today! This shaved brussel sprout salad with Lemon Vinaigrette is a tasty crunchy salad! It’s delicious because you can top it with your favorite fruit and a creamy salad dressing.
Brussels Sprout Salad
Grocery list for Brussel Sprout Salad
- Brussels sprouts
- kale salad mix
- red onion
- pomegranate arils
For the Vinaigrette
- Greek yogurt
- fresh lemon juice
- olive oil
- garlic powder
You can certainly take a shortcut and purchase a premade salad dressing – no judgment! If you do, get one that is creamy and citrus based or even coleslaw dressing! Those flavors compliment this salad mix.
How to shave brussels sprouts?
- If you’re using a stalk of sprouts, simply break each sprout off the stalk and clean well. (For tips on how to clean and store brussels, click here.)
- With a knife – slice the sprout in half and with a sharp knife, thinly slice until you reach the stem or core. Discard the core
- With a food processor – Clean the sprouts well. Remove and discard the core. Use the slicing blade and feed the sprouts into the tube pulsing the machine to process. Avoid overprocessing.
- With a mandolin – this is the best way to thinly shred the sprouts, but also the most dangerous. It’s so easy to cut yourself! If you do use a mandolin, protect your fingers with a slice-proof glove. They are inexpensive, no reason not to have them if you use a mandolin. Using a mandolin, set the blade to a thin cut and hold the end of the sprout and carefully shred. Discard when you reach to core.
Shortcut tip! Purchase a bag of pre-shredded sprouts at the store. Just to be sure to check the sell-by date so they are fresh.
Seasonal change-ups for the fruit on this salad
- Spring – mango, apricots, pineapple or strawberries
- Summer – blackberries, blueberries strawberries and peaches
- Fall – apples, dried cranberries, grapes and figs
- Winter – dried cranberries, persimmons, segmented oranges or mandarins
Roasted butternut squash, creamy chunks of avocado, walnuts, pecans or almond slivers are always a great addition to this salad!
How do you make brussels sprout salad?
- Clean all of the vegetables well
- Shred the sprouts
- Thinly slice the onions and nectarine
- Add all of the ingredients to a salad bowl
- Top with fruit
- Mix together the salad dressing ingredients – toss and serve
Don’t feel like making your own salad dressing? No judgment! I’ve even used the premade salad dressing that comes right in the kale salad kit, delicious!
Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad Recipe
Here are a few more of my favorite green salad recipes!
- Southwest Salad Recipe
- Garden Salad Recipe with Creamy Vinaigrette
- Grilled Shrimp Nicoise Salad Recipe
- Simple Green Salad
- Honey Glazed Orange Salad with Pistachios
- Healthy Superfood Salad
- Blue Cheese Wedge Salad Recipe
Amazon Disclosure: Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
This is definitely a great photo op too because this salad is gorgeous! Don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – enjoy!!
Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad
- 1 lb. brussel sprouts thinly sliced
- 1 8 oz. kale salad salad mix
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 nectarine or peach sliced into wedges
- Lemon or Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Add the pre-made kale salad dressing to a large bowl.
- Clean the brussel sprouts. Carefully slice or shred - add them to the salad.
- Thinly slice the red onion, core the nectarine and slice into wedges or dice it.
- Top with pomegranate arils and your favorite creamy or balsamic salad dressing. Enjoy!