Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad Recipe with crunchy greens and tangy brussels with bright fresh fruit. Top your salad with creamy or tangy balsamic dressing. This is great side salad or an easy lunch for any time of the year!
Next time try the Steamed Brussel Sprouts recipe if you're looking for an easy side dish!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ And delicious!
- Brussels sprouts - if you're picking thru them in a bin smaller sprouts are sweeter than the large ones.
- kale salad mix - this salad is full of big crunch!
- red onion - adds a nice peppery bite.
- peach in the summer or persimmon - in the wintertime.
- butternut squash -
a greatuse of leftover roasted squash pomegranatearils - the perfect finish for this salad.
For the Vinaigrette
- Greek yogurt - for creaminess
- fresh lemon juice - adds tangy deliciousness
- olive oil - this oil helps
marinadethe kale and brusselsto soften them.
- parsley, salt, pepper, garlic powder - flavors the dressing
You can certainly take a shortcut and purchase a premade salad dressing - no judgment! If you do, get one that is creamy and citrus based or even coleslaw dressing! These flavors will compliment this salad mix.
- Clean all of the vegetables well
- Shred the sprouts
- Thinly slice the onion and fruit
- Add all of the ingredients to a salad bowl
- Mix together the salad dressing ingredients - toss and serve
Shave Brussels Sprouts
- If you're using a stalk of sprouts, simply break each sprout off the stalk and clean well. (For tips on how to clean and store
brussels, click here.)
- With a knife - slice the sprout in half and with a sharp knife, thinly slice until you reach the stem or core. Discard the core
- With a food processor - Clean the sprouts well. Remove and discard the core. Use the slicing blade and feed the sprouts into the tube pulsing the machine to process. Avoid overprocessing.
- With a mandolin - this is the best way to thinly shred the sprouts, but also the most dangerous. Be careful! It's easy to cut yourself! If you do use a mandolin, protect your fingers with a slice-proof glove. They are inexpensive, no reason not to have them if you use a mandolin. Set the blade to a thin cut and hold the end of the sprout and carefully shred. Discard the end when you reach the
Things to know
Take a shortcut! Purchase a bag of pre-shredded sprouts at the store. Just to be sure to check the sell-by date so they are fresh.
Seasonal Change-ups for the fruit.
- Spring - mango, apricots, pineapple or strawberries
- Summer - blackberries, blueberries strawberries and peaches
- Fall - apples, dried cranberries, grapes and figs
- Winter - dried cranberries, persimmons, segmented oranges or mandarins
Roasted butternut squash, creamy chunks of avocado, walnuts, pecans or almond slivers are always a great addition to this salad!
Don't feel like making your own salad dressing? Used the pre-made salad dressing that comes right in the kale salad kit, delicious!
More recipes with brussels sprouts
- Sautéed Brussels Sprouts - cooked in butter and olive oil, this is an easy recipe!
- Baked Brussels Sprouts - a great side dish that takes only minutes to make!
- How about a yummy Citrus Salad with Winter Greens or a great Southwest Salad, YUM!
- Greek Coleslaw Recipe - loaded with crunch, this is the perfect recipe for cookouts!
- Be sure and try this recipe for Fall Harvest Salad, it's the best combination of flavors.
- This Green Salad with Fruit is as pretty as it is delicious!
- Enjoy a Grilled Shrimp Niçoise Salad - this one is a complete meal.
Love it? Please share your comments below along with a five-star rating. You'll make my day! forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – enjoy!
Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad
- 1 lb. brussel sprouts thinly sliced
- 1 8 oz. kale salad salad mix
- ¼ cup red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- 1 nectarine or peach sliced into wedges
- Lemon or Balsamic Vinaigrette
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Add the pre-made kale salad dressing to a large bowl.
- Clean the brussel sprouts. Carefully slice or shred - add them to the salad.
- Thinly slice the red onion, core the nectarine and slice into wedges or dice it.
- Top with pomegranate arils and your favorite creamy or balsamic salad dressing. Enjoy!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
I realized when I posted my Steakhouse Salad Recipe how much I have neglected my salad lovers recently! That yummy salad has just taken off with 11,000 shares and counting. Shame on me, that won't happen again, I promise!
At heart, I'm definitely a soup and salad kinda gal. Casual comfort food is probably one of the BEST ways to describe my blog, wouldn't you agree?
This is a recipe I developed when I was in Utah at a photography conference. It was fall, the air was cool and crisp and it just seemed like the best time to share a hearty salad!
The workshop was fun, I got to spend time with some of the BEST food photographers in my business to learn, take pictures and focus on food styling.
I had a blast!
So having said that... I have a new salad for you today! This shaved brussel sprout salad with Lemon Vinaigrette is a tasty crunchy salad! It's delicious because you can top it with your favorite fruit and a creamy salad dressing.