Fall Harvest Salad celebrates some of the BEST flavors of autumn! Buttery bib lettuce, caramelized butternut squash
Fall Harvest Salad Recipe
Since we're almost officially in fall I thought it was time to breakout some of those great fall flavors like roasted butternut squash and creamy salad dressings, wouldn't you agree?
This beautiful salad is very simple and uses great fall harvest fruits and vegetables - butter lettuce, roasted butternut squash, Fuyu persimmons, red onions, and a handful of micro-greens - that's it!
It's topped with a creamy homemade salad dressing. It's the perfect light lunch on a beautiful fall day!
But truly the star of the salad is the persimmons! What? You've never tried them?
I'm such a fan of persimmons! You know this right? A recipe I want you to be sure and try is the BEST Persimmon Cookie Recipe -
Rather than Hachiya persimmons, this recipe uses Fuyu (pictured below) are shaped like a tomato. The texture of persimmon is similar to that of a pear or apple, however, the skin will be a little thicker.
What does a persimmon taste like?
Persimmons have a rich flavor similar to apricot or peach but aren't juicy in the least. Fuyu's taste very sweet and have a crunchy texture.
How do you eat a Fuyu persimmon?
No need to peel them, you can eat the skin. Slice them into thin strips for snacking or dice them if you're adding to a salad, they make a great addition!
If you aren't able to find persimmons, you can certainly substitute a crunchy pear or even an apple (with a little lemon juice to keep them from turning color), but I'd encourage you to try them if they are available in your area - again, just make sure you get the eating - not *baking - variety.
Harvest Salad Recipe
Ingredient list for Fall Harvest Salad
For the salad:
- Roasted Butternut Squash - roasting the squash brings out the natural sweetness and all the caramelized deliciousness!
- Butter Lettuce - sweet and succulent, the texture of butter lettuce is almost creamy!
- Fuyu Persimmons - super sweet, crisp and crunchy - so much better than croutons!!
- Red Onion - brings a fresh tang to the salad.
- Micro-Greens - for the perfect peppery bite!
For the salad dressing:
- Roasted Butternut Squash - roasted squash adds flavor and creaminess to the base of this salad dressing.
- Yogurt - adds creaminess and tang!
- Honey - to sweeten the salad dressing naturally.
- White Wine Vinegar - tangy and acid
- Olive Oil - for flavor and richness - choose extra virgin!
- Salt and Pepper - to perfectly season
- Water - just enough to thin the dressing for easy drizzling.
Harvest Fall Salad
I promise you'll love this salad and the dressing is absolutely to die for! Roast extra squash so you'll have it
Steps to make Fall Harvest Salad
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees - roast the butternut squash, allow to cool.
- Tear the lettuce, top with micro greens.
- Thinly slice the onions and persimmons.
- Top the greens with onions, persimmons and squash.
- Add the ingredients for the salad dressing to the blender. Pulse until creamy and combined.
- Top the salad and enjoy!
More great salads from the blog!
I love salads (that's probably obviously, right?!!) and when we go out, that's often what I order when we go out! I love to recreate them at home and share them with YOU! Here are some of my favorites!
Fall Harvest Salad
Fall Harvest Salad
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 Fuyu persimmons - can substitute peach or pear if unavailable
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup micro-greens
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel the butternut squash, slice and cut into small cubes - sprinkle with olive oil, salt & pepper and place on a cookie sheet - roast in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, turning once.
- When roasted, remove from the ovenand allow to cool.
- Tear lettuce and place in a large salad bowl, top with the micro-greens.
- Slice persimmons and sprinkle over the top of the salad, add the red onions and add roasted butternut squash.
- Top with Salad Dressing and serve!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
Creamy Butternut Squash Salad Dressing
- ⅓ cup cooked butternut squash
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoona white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- Place the butternut squash, yogurt, honey, salt and pepper in a blender. Blend well until it is completely combined.
- While the blender is running, drizzle in the olive oil. Turn off the blender & scrape down the sides well and check the consistency of the salad dressing.
- Add in the water, one tablespoon at a time until it is the creamy and pour-able.