Old fashioned Persimmon Cookies are sweet and delicious. Baked with spices, nuts, cranberries and drizzled with white chocolate, this persimmon cookie recipe will be Santa’s favorite this holiday season! The aroma of these cookies baking will fill your home with holiday spirit!
Persimmons are a wonderful fruit to cook with or enjoy. This was a recipe I found in my Grandma’s old cookbook, it’s a classic persimmon cookie recipe. It’s full of wonderful spices and is really flavorful and fragrant. If you’ve never tried cooking with persimmons, this is the best recipe to try!
What do I do with a persimmon?
- I’ve talked about persimmons before, have you tried them yet?
- Persimmons are bright orange in color and are round or oblong. Hachiya is used to make cookies, jam and pudding and must be cooked.
- Fuyu can be eaten raw and are bright and crunchy. Persimmon jam was my Grandma’s favorite and I’d often make a batch and send to her at Christmas time.
What kind of persimmon do I have?
Here is a picture of persimmons I took at the grocery store. The round shaped persimmons on the top (Fuyu) are eaten raw. They almost look like tomatoes except they are orange.
The oblong ones (Hachiya – pictured on the bottom), need to be cooked before eating. The flesh is ripe when the persimmon feels very soft and super squishy. I know, I know – it’s the opposite of what you’d think!
How do I ripen a persimmon?
- Allow to ripen on the counter a couple of days in advance until soft and squishy or
- Place them in a paper bag with a banana or apple. This will hasten the ripening process. Again, leave them on the counter at room temperature.
When the flesh is soft, simply cut off the stem and squeeze the pulp into a bowl. Though I’m not an expert on persimmons, there is a ton of great information out there. If you want to learn more, click on this link – this is the most informative website I’ve found.
Ok – now that we’ve gotten the education part out of the way, let’s get to baking these cookies!
This recipe is a combination of Dan’s Grandma Bertha’s and an update I’ve given them over the last couple of years. I’ve jealously guarded this recipe, but hey – it’s time to share it with you! 😀
This Persimmon Cookie Recipe is easy to make!
Shopping list for Persimmon Cookies Recipe
- Hachiya persimmons (although I have made these using Fuyu)
- baking soda
- dried cranberries
- white chocolate chips
How to make Persimmon Cookie Recipe
- Cream together sugar, butter and egg until light and fluffy.
- While that is creaming together, prepare the dry ingredients – flour, allspice and salt.
- Take one cup of persimmon pulp and mix it with a teaspoon of baking soda.
- Add the persimmon mixture to the butter/sugar and cream together again.
- Next, add the dry ingredients. When this is thoroughly mixed together, add the cranberries, nuts and white chocolate.
- Drop the dough onto a cookie sheet and bake in the preheated oven until the cookies are golden brown.
- If desired, drizzle with some additional white chocolate when cooled. In addition, I topped them with some beautiful sprinkles to make them extra pretty!
Are you supposed to eat the skin of a persimmon?
Great question and it’s really personal preference. I do not eat the skin of the baking (Hachiya) persimmons. I just don’t like the texture.
The Fuyu Persimmons (the ones that look like a tomato that you can eat raw) taste great to me and have a similar texture to an apple skin. It’s really your preference.
More Sweet Treats from the Blog!
- 4 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Grandma Bertha’s Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Covered Cashews
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Easy Shortbread Cookies
Never cooked with Persimmon? Here are more Persimmon recipes to try and enjoy!
- Roasted Acorn Squash with Black Grapes and Cardamom Persimmons
- Persimmon Jam
- Fall Harvest Salad
- Persimmon Pie Recipe
- Stuffed Persimmons with Lentils
Sweet or savory, they are delicious!
I hope you put these cookies on your baking list for the holidays. They are so good and the addition of cranberries and white chocolate takes them right over the top!
Persimmon Cookies Recipe
Persimmon Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup persimmon pulp
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips plus additional for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 375
- Cut the top off the persimmon and squeeze the pulp into a measuring cup. You'll need 1 cup pulp, this is about three ripe persimmons. Sprinkle with baking soda, set aside.
- Add the sugar, butter and egg to a mixing bowl. Cream this together until light and fluffy.
- Mix together the flour, allspice and salt. Mix into the butter/sugar mixture until well combined.
- Stir in the cranberries, walnuts and white chocolate chips by hand.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool, drizzle with additional melted white chocolate if desired.