Grandma Bertha’s Homemade Butter Cookies are a family favorite. These cookies are a sweet snack for the kids and delicious with coffee or tea! This classic butter cookie recipe is simple to make with minimal ingredients and are certain showstoppers! This post has been updated from 7/28/17 to improve reader experience.
Homemade Butter Cookies
Disclaimer: This post has been made with delicious ingredients from our sponsors but all opinions are 100% mine! I would like to thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Rainier Fruit, OXO, Adam’s Extract, Land O’Lakes and General Mills Cereal! #ad #SummerDessertWeek
What is your favorite cookie? I have some wonderful cookies on the blog – chocolate moon pies, Persimmon Cookies, and 4 ingredient peanut butter cookies. I also have tasty treats like Blueberry Parfait and Great Grandma Darnell’s Blueberry Cobbler! Lots of tasty family recipes I’m proud to share!
Today I have one more sweet treat. This one is Dan’s Grandma’s recipe for the BEST Butter Cookies! Butter Cookies are slightly sweet, beautiful cookies that are delicious with tea or coffee.
Dan is so happy I picked this recipe to share! He has the best memories of time with his Grandma. One story he shared, was when he had a summer internship and he stayed with his Grandma in Lodi, CA. Every day she would pack his lunch before he went to work.
The position was a desk job, but Grandma packed his lunch like he’d be doing physical labor all day long. His lunch was HUGE! Every day she would pack probably twice as much as he could comfortably eat, but of course, he ate it all.
Finally, one of his co-workers said, “son, you’re gonna have to leave some lunch in the bag or she’ll keep packing it full!”
You see, he didn’t want to say something because he was afraid it would hurt Grandma’s feelings! (Dan’s a pretty wonderful guy – so sweet and caring! It’s one of the things I love most about him!)
Easy Butter Cookies
Dan’s Mom gave me Grandma Bertha’s recipe box and I’ve been having fun going through all the recipes. Though I never met Dan’s Grandma, I hear she had quite the sweet tooth! I think I did her proud sharing her recipe and these photographs!
What are the ingredients to make homemade butter cookies?
- pure vanilla extract
- baking powder
- decorating sugar (optional)
Are shortbread cookies and butter cookies the same?
- The difference between a shortbread and butter cookies recipe is a higher ratio of butter in the butter cookies. A butter cookie will hardly crumble and also can be rolled if you want to use a cookie-cutter. The butter gives a ton of flavor for a rich, dense cookie.
How does the temperature of butter affect cookies?
- Creaming room temperature butter with the sugar will result in cookies with a texture that is more cake-like. If you refrigerate the dough before baking the cookies won’t spread as much. When the butter is cold it takes longer to melt!
Can I use melted butter for cookies?
- No, use room temperature butter. Allow the butter to sit outside the refrigerator at least 15 minutes before creaming
How long do butter cookies last?
- Not long in our house! 😋 Seriously though homemade butter cookies will last 2-3 weeks.
Can butter cookies be frozen?
- Yes, these cookies will freeze beautifully. Store in an airtight container or ziplock bag for two to three months.
Best Butter Cookies Recipe
Step by step directions for how to make these treats!
- Soften the butter.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add the egg and mix.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Add to the creamed mixture in spoonfuls until completely incorporated.
- Cover and chill for at least an hour.
- Roll into one inch balls. Roll in plain sugar or brightly colored decorating sugar.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
Easy Butter Cookie Recipe
I also had fun photographing these cookies! But I guess you can tell that, huh? 😂 I hope you’ve
More delicious treats to feed your sweet tooth!
- Easy Shortbread Cookies with Confetti
- Soft and Chewy White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies Recipe
- Mississippi Mud Cookies
- 3 Ingredient Oatmeal Cookies
Butter Sugar Cookie Recipe
Butter cookies are simple to make with minimal ingredients and are certain showstoppers! Grandma’s recipe didn’t include rolling them in sugar, but that added a special touch and made them so pretty! Wouldn’t you agree?
Amazon Disclosure: Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
Now don’t forget if you make this be sure and tag me on Instagram at @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover, I’d love to see your awesome pictures!
Also if you love these yummy cookies, be sure to comment and leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below, I’d love to hear from you!
Best Butter Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup decorating sugar optional
- Be sure the butter is completely softened and room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and mix until completely combined.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder. Add to the creamed butter/sugar/egg in spoonfuls until completely incorporated.
- *Cover and chill for at least one hour. Roll into one inch balls. Roll in plain sugar or brightly colored decorating sugar.
- Place onto cookie sheet. Using the back of a spoon, press down to slightly flatten. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- *I have made the batter the night before. If you do so, cover tightly and refrigerate. This also makes a great dough if you want to roll out the dough and use a cookie cutter!