Grandma Few’s tried and true family recipe for Old-fashioned Gumdrop Cookies! Loaded with gumdrops, coconut and oatmeal they are sweet, delicious and a nostalgic cookie that everyone loves!
Gumdrop Cookie Recipe
Today’s post is sponsored by Barlean’s, Hamilton Beach, and Rhodes Bread as well as Crispy Green, The Spice House, and PackIt. However, all opinions are my own. #ad #Back2School #HamiltonBeach
Hey friends, I’m so happy you’re here today! Can you believe it’s back to school time already? Most people would tell you when fall rolled around they dreaded going back to school. How about you?
Not me! We lived in the country and were surrounded by boys. I didn’t have anyone to play with. Going back to school was ok with me.
Pretty sure it was ok with my brother too because I was his constant shadow and I know he tired of me following him around.
Yes he seriously picked on me, but he was my keeper as well! Big brothers are the BEST!
If you want to skip my tips and such, scroll to the bottom. Hey, that’s ok! I’m just glad you’re here!!
Grocery list for Gumdrop Cookies
- brown sugar
- white sugar
- baking soda
- baking powder
- vanilla extract
I love that they are loaded with oatmeal, coconut and gumdrops! These cookies are soft, chewy and delicious!
Oatmeal Gumdrop Cookie Recipe
Grandma loved her sweets and I’m so happy to preserve and share her recipes!
What kind of gumdrops can you use?
I used the classic sugar coated gumdrops, so yummy! You can also use gummy bears. Gummy worms would be super fun for Halloween, really you can use your favorite candy!
Although you can chop up the candy, I did not. I really liked chomping on big chunks of gumdrops! These cookies are super chewy and delicious!
For this recipe I receive a beautiful hand mixer from Hamilton Beach. I really like how throughly it mixed this thick dough. I highly recommend it!
What does drop cookies mean?
Drop cookies are “dropped” onto the baking sheet using spoons or an ice cream scoop.
I’ve made these cookies both ways and preferred using spoons. Yes the cookies are not perfectly round, but it was easier to control the size.
Does the candy need to be chopped or diced?
No, there’s not need to chop the candies.
Although Grandma’s recipe didn’t call for it, I studded the tops of the cookies with gumdrops to make sure there was candy in every bite!
How to make Gumdrop Cookies
Steps to make GumDrop Cookies Recipe
- preheat the oven
- measure the dry ingredients and sift
- cream together the butter, sugars, vanilla and eggs until creamy.
- add the dry ingredients in three batches
- stir in the oatmeal, coconut and gumdrops
- drop by spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheet
- bake and enjoy!
Ready to do some baking? Here are more of my favorite cookie recipes!
Easy Gumdrop Cookies
#Back2School Recipe Inspiration
For more amazing #Back2School recipes, please follow our #Back2School Pinterest board. Be sure to also check out my fellow bloggers participating all week long for more delicious dishes!
- Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Cooking With Carlee
- Everyday Eileen
- Family Around the Table
- Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Juggling Act Mama
- Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Mandatory Mooch
- Palatable Pasttime
- The Schmidty Wife
- Wendy Polisi
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
- Pyrex 4-Piece Glass Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons – I love the shape of these because they fit into spice jars
Don’t forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
When you make this please be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – I’d love to see your pictures! And if you get a chance, please comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup coconut shredded
- 1 cup gumdrops plus more to top the cookies with if desired!
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda, set aside.
- Cream together the butter, eggs, both sugars and vanilla.
- Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients in a couple of batches until completely mixed.
- Stir in the coconut, oatmeal and gumdrops.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet.
- This is optional, but I add 2-3 additional gumdrops to the top of the cookies before baking.
- Remove from oven, allow to rest on baking sheet for five minutes before removing and placing on cooling rack.