One of my very best friends Jessica lives in Sacramento, CA – she’s my running buddy and we’ve ran many half and full marathons together. Jessica is 13 years younger than me and she is a serious ball of energy! She lives a gluten free, vegan lifestyle.
One day we were on a quest for something (heaven knows what?) – Jessica was driving (like a crazy gal as always) and all of the sudden she cuts across three lanes and swerves into the Walmart parking lot and up to a little pushcart with a large rainbow umbrella. Time for lunch she announces! Ok…I’m looking around thinking….where…what? Well the pushcart has piles of fruit and a woman with a very large machete is peeling pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe, mangos, oranges, cucumber and jimica. That girl had serious skills with the machete! When she was done, she piled all of them in a large plastic glass, sprinkled chili powder and drizzled with half a lime. She stuck a fork in it and said $5!
Best lunch ever, from then on, I brake for rainbow umbrellas! Bad news is….they don’t do this in Fresno, so I’ve began making my own rainbow fruit salad.
The only thing I’ve changed is I don’t like pineapple. Ever since I was a little kid – I think it’s the only thing in the world I won’t eat. Yes strange, I know, but that’s just me. So when you make this, cut up the fruit and vegetables and sprinkle them liberally with chili powder. Don’t let the heat scare you. The sweetness of the fruit balances it. Squeeze a couple fresh limes right over the top and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Perfect lunch – truly doesn’t get much better than this and if you’re going to a bbq, this is a great salad to share.
Tucking in a couple extra pictures for fun – my helpers are never far away! Check out Brodi, he’s casually standing nearby just in case some of the fruit jumps overboard – because fruit is known to do that right? 😀
Then there’s Max who is much more aggressive with his begging!
Rainbow Fruit Salad
Great lunch or an easy salad that's wonderful for a cookout on a hot summer's day. Rainbow fruit salad combines fresh fruit & veggies for a real treat!
- 1/2 seedless watermelon peeled and chopped
- 1 cantaloupe peeled and chopped
- 1 honeydew melon peeled and chopped
- 2-3 mangos peeled and chopped
- 2 oranges peeled and segmented
- 1-2 cucumbers peeled (if desired) and chopped
- 1 jimica peeled and chopped
- chili powder for sprinkling
- 2-3 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Very simple, peel and chop all fruit into large chunks. Pile in a bowl, squeeze 2-3 limes over top and sprinkle liberally with chili powder as shown above. Finish by sprinkling just a touch of salt about 1/2 teaspoon over the salad. Perfect for lunch, also great to share at a cookout!