Easy to make tropical Mexican fruit salad filled with all your favorite fruit, cucumber and jicama. It's topped with a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of spicy Tajin.
Why you'll love this recipe
It's filled with fresh, delicious summer fruits like sweet cantaloupe, watermelon and pineapple. Cucumber and jicama give it great crunch and it's topped with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and sprinkle of ancho chili powder.
This is a great side salad or snack - perfect for the summer months, this salad is bright fresh and delicious!
📙 Recipe backstory
My BFF Jessica lives in Sacramento, my old stomping grounds. She's my running buddy and together we've
One day we were on a quest for something (heaven knows what?) - Jessica was driving like a crazy gal (as always!) and all of the sudden she cuts across three lanes and swerves into the Walmart parking lot and parks beside a pushcart with a large rainbow umbrella.
Time for lunch she announces! Ok...I'm looking around thinking... Walmart... sure, why not! Well, there's are pushcart with piles of fruit and street vendors with a very large machete was peeling pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe, mangos, cucumber and jicama.
When she was done prepping the fruit and vegetables, they were piled into a large clear plastic cups. Then it was sprinkled with chili powder and drizzled with half a lime.
It was the perfect lunch! From now on, I brake for rainbow umbrellas!
For the exact measurements for the Mexican fruit bowl, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- watermelon cantaloupe, pineapple and mangos
- cucumbers, jicama and limes
- Tajin or Tajin Chamoy Sauce (links below) - if you aren't able to find it, just substitute with spicy chile powder and salt.
You can really use any type of fruit, as long as it's fresh fruit! Use your favorite and enjoy!
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Peel and chop the fruits and vegetables.
- Sprinkle them liberally with Tajin or chili powder.
- Top with a squeeze of lime or lemon juice.
Place in a big serving bowl and enjoy!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- The equipment you'll need for this recipe is pretty simple! A sharp knife to peel and slice
Tajin is a classic chili lime seasoning. Used as a traditional topping for Mexican-inspired Fruit Salad, it's a great spice mix. Depending on where you live, it's available in the Mexican food section at the grocery store.
Tajin has a unique flavor. Not terribly spicy, but warm and flavorful. It's great on watermelon, mango, cantaloupe, really any sweet fruit! It's also delicious on vegetables like avocados, roasted corn and jicama. It's tasty on popcorn or potato chips too!
I've tried some delicious spice blends, but what we do and enjoy is simply chili powder and a squeeze of lime.
Use your favorite fresh fruit! I've made this with just watermelon, cantaloupe and mangos, but always adding cucumbers and jicama. I know it may sound a little different, but it's a great combination and it's delicious!
Papaya, strawberries, honeydew melon and blueberries are also delicious. Nothing is off limits! This salad is so fresh and tasty, it's a great side salad or snack!
If you can't find tajin, substitute with spicy chile powder. The sweetness of the fruit balances it. Squeeze a couple of fresh limes right over the top and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
This is a great side for Cinco de Mayo or your next pool party! It truly doesn't get much better than this and if you're going to a bbq, this is a great salad to share.
- Sliced Orange Salad with Pistachios - topped with an easy to make honey glaze this lovely salad is filled with crunch and bright fresh citrus!
- If you have some good tomatoes enjoy I think this is the best heirloom tomato salad - mixed with fresh basil and cucumber, it's so good.
- No watermelon? No problem! Make this yummy apple pecan salad, it is scrumptious!
- If it's winter time when beets are in season, this beet salad with pistachios is full of delicious crunch!
Mexican Fruit Salad with Tajin
- ½ watermelon seedless, peeled and chopped
- 1 cantaloupe peeled and chopped
- 2-3 mangos peeled and chopped
- 2 cups pineapple fresh, cut into chunks
- 1-2 cucumbers peeled (if desired) and chopped
- 1 jimica peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons Tajin for sprinkling
- 2 limes depending how juicy, you may want an additional lime
- Peel and chop all fruit into large chunks.
- Peel the jicama and dice, cut the cucumbers into chunks.
- Add the fruit and vegetables to a large bowl.
- Squeeze 2-3 limes over top and sprinkle liberally with Tajin
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
First published September 6, 2015 updated January 8, 2021 to improve instructions.