Easy to make tropical Mexican fruit salad filled with all your favorite fruit, cucumber and jicama. It's topped with a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of spicy Tajin.
It's filled with fresh, delicious fruit like sweet cantaloupe, watermelon and pineapple. Cucumber and jicama give it great crunch and it's topped with a squeeze of lime and chili powder.
This is a great side salad or snack - bright fresh and delicious!
📙 Recipe backstory
My BFF Jessica lives in Sacramento, my old stomping grounds. She's my running buddy and together we've
One day we were on a quest for something (heaven knows what?) - Jessica was driving like a crazy gal (as always!) and all of the sudden she cuts across three lanes and swerves into the Walmart parking lot and parks beside a pushcart with a large rainbow umbrella.
Time for lunch she announces! Ok...I'm looking around thinking... Walmart... sure, why not! Well, there's a pushcart with piles of fruit and a woman with a very large machete is peeling pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe, mangos, cucumber and jicama.
When she was done prepping the fruit and vegetables, they were piled into a large plastic glass. Then it was sprinkled with chili powder and drizzled with half a lime.
It was the perfect lunch! From now on, I brake for rainbow umbrellas!
Use your favorite fresh fruit! I've made this with just watermelon, cantaloupe and mangos, but always adding cucumbers and jicama. I know it may sound a little different, but it's a great combination and it's delicious!
For the exact measurements, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- watermelon cantaloupe, pineapple and mangos
- cucumbers, jicama and limes
- Tajin or Tajin Chamoy Sauce (links below) - if you aren't able to find it, just substitute with chili powder and salt.
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Peel and chop the fruits and vegetables.
- Sprinkle them liberally with Tajin or chili powder.
- Top with a squeeze of lime.
Tajin is a classic chili lime seasoning. Used as a traditional topping for Mexican Fruit Salad, it's a great spice mix. Depending on where you live, it's available in the Mexican food section at the grocery store.
Tajin is great on watermelon, mango, cantaloupe, really any sweet fruit! It's also delicious on vegetables like avocados, roasted corn and jicama. It's tasty on popcorn or potato chips too!
I've tried some delicious spice blends, but what we do and enjoy is simply chili powder and a squeeze of lime.
You can really add your favorite fresh fruit! Papaya, strawberries, honeydew melon, blueberries and more. Nothing is off limits! This salad is so fresh and delicious, it's a great side salad or snack!
Don't let the heat of the chili scare you. The sweetness of the fruit balances it. Squeeze a couple of fresh limes right over the top and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
Perfect lunch - truly doesn't get much better than this and if you're going to a bbq, this is a great salad to share.
- Sliced Orange Salad with Pistachios - topped with an easy to make honey glaze this lovely salad is filled with crunch and bright fresh citrus!
- If you have some good tomatoes enjoy I think this is the best heirloom tomato salad - mixed with fresh basil and cucumber, it's so good.
- No watermelon? No problem! Make this yummy apple pecan salad, it is scrumptious!
- If it's winter time when beets are in season, this beet salad with pistachios is full of delicious crunch!
If you post a photo, please tag me! I'd love to see your pictures! You can tag me with #bowlmeover or if you're on Instagram use @bowl_me_over I can't wait to see how yummy this turned out for you!
I would love it if you gave this recipe 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars!!
Mexican Fruit Salad with Tajin
- ½ watermelon seedless, peeled and chopped
- 1 cantaloupe peeled and chopped
- 2-3 mangos peeled and chopped
- 2 cups pineapple fresh, cut into chunks
- 1-2 cucumbers peeled (if desired) and chopped
- 1 jimica peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons Tajin for sprinkling
- 2 limes depending how juicy, you may want an additional lime
- Peel and chop all fruit into large chunks.
- Peel the jicama and dice, cut the cucumbers into chunks.
- Add the fruit and vegetables to a large bowl.
- Squeeze 2-3 limes over top and sprinkle liberally with Tajin
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
First published September 6, 2015 updated January 8, 2021 to improve instructions.