Sweet ‘n Spicy Strawberry Salsa – Serve it with chips or top off your favorite grilled chicken, pork or fish! Sweet strawberries and honey, spicy jalapeños and Sriracha with bright flavor from cilantro and lime! This post has been updated from the original 2016 to improve reader experience.
By now you know I LOVE strawberries….right? And I’ve created a ton of sweet recipes using strawberries… like this amazing Strawberry Margarita Jam, Baked French Toast with Strawberry Jam, Strawberry Shortcake Brownie and Sweet Strawberry Syrup and more…yes… I have even more recipes that use strawberries on my website. It’s fair to say I love strawberries!
So why not savory, right?
More recently though I’ve been using them as a savory addition to meals – of course they are terrific tossed on a salad, but salsa? Have you tried Strawberry Salsa? Oh my gosh, it’s sooo good, in fact says it’s addictive!
And he should know… he is my official taste tester! 😋
Grocery List for Strawberry Salsa
- red onion
- jalapeno pepper
- Sriracha Sauce
What pairs well with Strawberry Salsa?
- tortilla chips
- grilled fish
- sugar and cinnamon tortilla chips
- grilled chicken
- top off cream cheese, bright and pretty holiday dip!
- grilled pork
What is the BEST way to select ripe strawberries?
- Choose strawberries that are plump and red, orange or slightly green strawberries won’t be as sweet.
- Leave the stem on and do not wash the berries until you’re ready to use them, they will last longer.
- Pick thru and discard any spoiled fruit.
- Place the berries in the refrigerator in vegetable drawer – the cooler the better!
Making strawberries last longer by removing any moisture. Again, don’t wash them until you’re ready to use them! Cover them with plastic wrap and refrigerate. The key to fresh strawberries is removing moisture and keeping them dry!
When you’re ready to use the berries, you’ll want to make sure they are cleaned well. I wash them in a vinegar/water solution. One part vinegar to eight parts water. Swish them around well and then rinse them again in cool water.
Next remove the stem. There’s lots of fancy contraptions for this but frankly, I use a knife or in a pinch… my thumbnail.
I’ve never met a strawberry I didn’t like!
How to make Strawberry Salsa
- Clean the strawberries, remove the stems and dice, add to a bowl.
- Dice the onion and mince the cilantro and jalapeños (you can use fresh or canned peppers) and add to the bowl with the strawberries.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Serve and enjoy either as a dip or condiment. This is one terrific salsa!
Strawberry salsa is super easy, affordable, incredibly delicious! Sweet and savory at the same time, it’s a fabulous appetizer. OR …..perfect to top lemon pepper chicken or a great grilled pork tenderloin – even fabulous over grilled trout! Strawberries are just as delicious savory as sweet!
More of my favorite easy appetizers using fruit!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
Be sure to leave a comment below and tell me what you think of this recipe, I’d love a five star rating!! AND if you make it, be sure to tag me @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover
Strawberry Salsa is so tasty! It's perfect for a bbq or cookout because there's no need to refrigerate it. In fact it's better at room temperature! Serve it with chips or top off your favorite grilled chicken, pork or fish.
- 2 cups strawberries finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro minced
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 chopped jalapeno pepper - seeds removed use canned or fresh, whichever you prefer
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha Sauce
- pinch of salt
Clean the strawberries, remove the stems and dice.
Dice the onion and mince the cilantro and jalapeños (you can use fresh or canned peppers) and add all of the ingredients to a large bowl.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.
Serve with chips as a dip or on top of grilled chicken, pork or fish - delicious!