Jerk Chicken Bowl with California Fig Salsa
This post contains sponsored content from Valley Fig Growers® but the delicious opinions are all my own! #ad #sponsored
I want you to sit back and think of beautiful blue oceans, white beaches and chilling in the shade. Why? Because today I’m taking you to Jamaica baby, with my Jerk Chicken Bowl!
Well, I’m not taking you to Jamaica literally – but we’re going to do the next best thing and I’ve enlisted the help of my neighbors at Valley Fig Growers to help me! Valley Fig Growers, aka Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice and Sun-Maid Growers!
And I’m super excited to share this new recipe with you!
You know Valley Fig Growers right? They are my neighbors located right here in in the Central Valley in Fresno.
Today I’m going to share with you a recipe I developed using their awesome California Figs!
Because this is one of my recipes you know it’s super easy and incredibly delicious with BIG flavor! Let me introduce (drumroll please!) Jerk Chicken Bowl with California Fig Salsa! Ta-da!!! 😎
If you’ve never had traditional “jerk” flavors, here’s what to expect. Jerk Flavor is a mixture of smokey heat and sweetness. The heat comes from scotch bonnet peppers. These peppers are insanely hot, so a little goes a long ways. They have a fruity, unique flavor. The sweetness comes from the California Fig Spread. It’s a perfect combination and together makes an easy marinade for the jerk chicken.
Can’t find scotch bonnet peppers? You can substitute with habanero or Thai chili peppers. These peppers are HOT – protect your hands and do not touch your eyes. Be SURE to wash your hands immediately after handling them!
For this recipe I used chicken thighs, but if you prefer white meat, switch it out and use your favorite. The salsa has California Figs, mango and Fresno chilies. It mimics the flavors of the marinade with hints of warm spices.
Big flavor? Yes! But don’t worry, it’s not too hot. (If you like bigger heat – just toss in an extra pepper or two!)
Be sure to head over to the Valley Fig Growers website and pick out your favorite California Figs to make this amazing meal!
Now let’s get cooking!
Jerk Chicken Bowl with California Fig Salsa
- 6-8 chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 1 cup Orchard Choice California Fig Spread
- 3 green onions roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper stem removed, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Roughly chop the green onions and mince the garlic. Add to a blender or food processor.
- Remove the stem from the pepper and the seeds and membranes, but be careful handling the pepper. Touching the pepper/touching your eyes will burn! Roughly chop the pepper, add it to the blender.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the blender with the exception of the chicken. Blend until smooth and all ingredients are combined. Pour into a ziplock bag. Add the chicken thighs. Marinade for 3-4 hour or overnight.
- When you are ready to grill, remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry. Allow to come to room temperature before grilling.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Grill until cooked thru and juices run clear. Dice into bite sized pieces. Serve topped with California Fig Salsa over rice. Enjoy!
California Fig Salsa
- 1/2 cup California Figs stems removed, chopped
- 3/4 cup mango diced
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 red jalepeno pepper seeded, membrane removed, diced
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- Dice the figs and the mango. Thinly slice the green onions. Zest and juice the lime. Remove the stem from the pepper, seeds and membrane - dice.
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix throughly. Top over jerk chicken bowl and enjoy!
Since you’ve gotten this far that means you like big flavor like I do, so let me suggest a couple more recipes!
First up Ja Makin’ Me Crazy Mango Jam – using mangos and a touch of raspberries, this jam combines making a serene color transporting you to a tranquil Caribbean sunset!
Not in a bowl, but I can tell these bites really pack in the flavor – Cuban Sliders! Perfect for tailgating or any gathering they have big flavor and are easy make ahead dish! Cuban Sliders are definitely a family favorite!
I hope you enjoyed your Caribbean Sea cruise with all of these delicious island flavors! Be sure to try this yummy recipe and swing back by and let me know what you think!
p.s. Got leftover salsa? Stir it into Greek Yogurt for an delicious satisfying breakfast or snack!