This easy Teriyaki Chicken Bowl is a hundred times better than
Teriyaki Chicken Bowl
When Dan and I were dating he would drive up from Fresno to Sacramento Friday nights and stay until Sunday. Often times before he would leave we’d go out to lunch.
One of our favorite spots was I ❤️ Teriyaki, a small restaurant in Mather. They grill mounds of chicken and it’s served over rice with a small side salad.
I still have family in Sacramento and Dan is often in the area for business. We stop and dine here whenever we have the chance.
I’ve even been known to toss a cooler in the car. That way we can enjoy a meal from this restaurant, even when we’re on the road!
It never occurred to me to make it at home!! What? Seriously, this is what I do for a living. Ha!
It’s not hard either and I nailed it! 😀 I’ve been making all kinds of Chicken Teriyaki ever since
Easy Teriyaki Chicken
What vegetables are good with teriyaki chicken?
- grilled bok choy
- steamed carrots
- steamed broccoli
- stir fried snow peas
- sautéed asparagus
- green salad
How many calories are in a teriyaki chicken bowl?
The chicken thighs with the marinade have just over 400 calories each. Using chicken breast will lessen the calories but in my opinion, you lose a lot of flavor. I’m a big fan of thighs – but use your favorite cut.
Teriyaki Chicken Bowl Recipe
Chicken thighs, teriyaki sauce, rice. Pretty simple huh?
Steps to make bowl recipe
- You’ll combine the marinade ingredients. Soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, onion, garlic & sesame oil.
- Add the chicken. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight – even better!
- The next day or that evening, grill the chicken.
- I saved out a bit of the marinade (before adding the chicken) and simmered it until it had reduced and thickened.
- Then drizzle the sauce over the chicken before serving.
- Cook rice and grill the vegetables. Just look how wonderful this meal is!
Teriyaki is actually a Japanese method of cooking in which food is marinated and then broiled or grilled.
It works for just about any type of protein, so stay tuned for more delicious recipes!
What can you add to teriyaki sauce?
- Beef – steaks or tri-tip
- Chicken – breast or thigh meat also chicken legs
- Pork – tenderloin is a great cut for this marinade
- Noodles – better than take out!
Since the grill was already heated rather than making a salad I grilled some baby
For this I simply split them in half, drizzled with sesame oil and a splash of soy sauce and onto the grill they went. They only take a few minutes per side.
How do you make your own teriyaki sauce?
- Measure the soy sauce and brown sugar and place in a large ziploc bag.
- Grate the ginger and garlic.
- Chop onions and add them to the bag.
- Add the sesame oil.
- Mix well, that’s it!
How do you make chicken teriyaki?
- Add the boneless, skinless chicken thighs to the bag and refrigerate, you can even leave it overnight. (This is simple enough to put together before work in the morning and grill when you get home.)
- When it’s time to grill, remove the chicken from the bag shaking off the excess liquid. Discard the liquid.
- Grill the chicken until the thighs are completely cooked thru – about 6-8 minutes per side depending on the size of the meat.
- Remove from the grill and place on a plate. Cover loosely with foil and allow the meat to rest for 10 minutes. Chop into small
- Serve the meat over cooked rice, drizzle with teriyaki sauce. If desired, grill or steam vegetables and serve alongside.
Now we can have one of our favorite meals at home! And YOU can too! It’s easy. Super delicious and a perfect weeknight meal!
Love teriyaki? Here are a few more dishes to try!
More of my favorite Chicken Recipes!
- Grilled Chili Lime Chicken – the BEST chili lime chicken ever!
- Lemon Pepper Chicken – get your grill on with this fantastic marinade!
- Easy Chicken Kabobs – always delicious on the grill!
- Bourbon Chicken – Crunchy, creamy, sweet – YUM!!
What is your favorite restaurant meal you make at home?
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Pyrex 4-Piece Glass Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons – I love the shape of these because they fit into spice jars
If you post a photo, please tag me! I’d love to see your pictures! You can tag me with #bowlmeover or if you’re on Instagram use @bowl_me_over I can’t wait to see how yummy this turned out for you!
Teriyaki Chicken Bowl
- 6-8 boneless skinless chicken
- 2 cups soy sauce
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 inch piece ginger root grated
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- ¼ cup sesame seed oil
- 1 bunch green onions chopped (green and white parts)
- cooked rice
- grilled or steamed vegetables
- Measure the soy sauce and brown sugar, grate the ginger root and garlic. Place in a large ziploc bag.
- Chop the onions and add them to the bag, add the sesame oil. Mix well. Scoop out about half a cup and set aside to reserve.
- Next add the chicken to the ziplock bag. Refrigerate for at least two hours. You can even leave it overnight. (This is simple enough to put together before work in the morning and grill when you get home.)
- When it’s time to grill, remove the chicken from the bag shaking off the excess liquid. Discard the liquid. Grill the chicken until the thighs are completely cooked thru – about 6-8 minutes per side depending on the size of the meat.
- Remove from the grill and and place on a plate. Cover loosely with foil and allow the meat to rest for 10 minutes . Chop into small bite sized pieces.
- While the meat is resting put the reserved sauce in a small pan on the stove. Bring it to a boil, then turn the burner on low and allow to simmer and reduce for ten minutes.
- Serve the meat over cooked rice, drizzle with reduced teriyaki sauce. If desired, grill or steam vegetables and serve alongside.