The BEST Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Recipe starts with a ridiculously simple marinade. Lime, chili and cumin powder, minced garlic, cilantro, salt and olive oil spice up ordinary chicken and make it so tender and juicy! This is a wonderfully simple recipe that your whole family will request over and over again!
Chili Lime Chicken Recipe
As I was writing this post, Dan looked over my shoulder at the pictures and said “ooh! I forgot how good that chicken is, can we have that for dinner again?!” I stopped what I was doing, went into the kitchen and pulled some frozen chicken breast out of the freezer. Dinner for tomorrow night? Decision made!
What Dan asks…. Dan gets! Hey… he spoils me, so I can do the same for him! 😀
We’ve been doing lots of grilling now for the last month or so – grilled lamb, ribs, burgers – you name it! Ooh and if you’re looking for a great sauce, be sure to make this recipe for Alabama White Sauce – so yummy with grilled chicken!
The addition of a gas grill has made weekday grilling possible, but we’ve fired up the charcoal grill too – I tell ya it’s the best of both worlds!
If you haven’t kicked off grilling season, this is the recipe to start (or continue!) with. Why? Guys this is a great recipe, full of big flavor and it’s SO EASY!
Shopping list for Chili Lime Chicken Recipe
- olive oil
- chili powder
- boneless chicken breasts or thighs
Did you really need a shopping list? Ha! You have probably everything you need right?!!
Next up, steps to make chili lime marinade.
Chili Lime Chicken Marinade
How to make Chili Lime Marinade
- add the olive oil to a measuring cup
- juice the limes
- mince the garlic and cilantro add it to the cup
- add the spices
- whisk everything together to combine
See how easy?!!
Now just pour it over the chicken and let it marinade for only thirty minutes. The lime juice really helps tenderize the chicken and also keeps it juicy and moist.
Chili Lime Chicken
Then onto the grill it goes! Cook the chicken until it’s done (meat thermometer should register at 165 degrees). I pull the chicken off the grill when it’s 160 degrees and cover it with foil. The residual cooking will continue to cook the chicken. The temperature will raise to 165 degrees. Covering the meat with foil will keep it hot!
How can you tell if chicken is done?
- In addition to the thermometer, remove the chicken from the grill. Slice into the meat and see if the juices run clear. Additionally, the meat should be firm, not rubbery. Don’t over cook, nobody likes dry chicken!
I’m such a fan of marinades and there are several on the blog that I know you love and you should definitely try! It’s BBQ season – let’s break out our grills!
- Lemon Pepper Marinade
- Teriyaki Marinade
- Korean BBQ Sauce Marinade
- Tuna Poke Marinade
- Chicken Fajita Marinade
- Chef’s Blend Dry Rub
Which recipes have you tried? If there is a recipe you’ve tried and love, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!
What to serve with grilled chicken?
- The BEST Macaroni Pasta Salad!
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Bow Tie Pasta Salad
- BEST Crispy Baked Sweet Potatoes Fries
- Paloma Cocktail Recipe with Blood Oranges
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
Grill Cleaning Brush – I know this is something we use all the time, if you need a new cleaning brush or other grilling accessories, click on this link.
Want to try this Chili Lime Chicken Recipe? Then it’s time to get your grill on! And when you do, swing back and share your comments below along with a five-star rating, that will make my day!
Be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – so I get to see all of your great pictures!!
The BEST Chili Lime Chicken
- 6 chicken breasts breasts or thighs, use your favorite cut of meat!
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 limes zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp cilantro minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Start by making the marinade
- Measure the olive oil and add it to a measuring cup or small bowl.
- Juice and zest the limes - add them to the bowl.
- Mince the garlic and cilantro. Measure the spices and add everything to the bowl.
- Whisk everything together well. Pour into a ziplock bag.
- Add the chicken. Massage all the spices into the chicken. Allow to set for 30 minutes. Do not refrigerate, this way the meat will come to room temperature and be better for grilling!
- Now it's time to grill! Remove from the marinade, heat your grill and grill the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Cover and allow to rest for 30 minutes. Enjoy!