The BEST Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Recipe starts with a ridiculously simple marinade. Lime, chili and cumin powder, minced garlic, cilantro, salt and olive oil spice up ordinary chicken and make the best juicy chicken. Dunk it in white bbq sauce - AMAZING!
This is a wonderfully simple recipe that your whole family will request over and over again!
Serve the chicken thinly sliced over this teriyaki noodles recipe - what a perfect meal!
Why you'll love this recipe
If you haven't kicked off grilling season, this is the recipe to start (or continue!) with! and it's SO EASY!
✔️ Guys, this is a great recipe, and makes the most flavorful chicken! It makes terrific chicken tacos!
✔️ It's super easy and uses ingredients you have on hand.
✔️ Top off your southwest salad recipe on day two for a whole new meal!
Please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post for the exact measurements for the marinade ingredients.
- olive oil
- citrus juice, the recipe calls for limes but you could use orange juice as well.
- fresh cilantro
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
Did you really need a shopping list? Ha! You have probably everything you need right?!!
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Add the olive oil to a measuring cup.
- Juice the limes.
- Mince the garlic and cilantro add it to the cup.
- Add the spices.
- Whisk everything together to combine.
Add chicken and marinate for 30 minutes, up to four hours. Remove marinated chicken. Pat dry with a papertowel. Grill on your outdoor grill. Discard used marinade.
Remove the chicken off the grill at 160 degrees and cover it with foil. The residual cooking will continue to cook the chicken and the temperature will rise to 165 degrees.
Covering the meat with foil to keep it hot!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Grill Cleaning Brush - I know this is something we use all the time, if you need a new cleaning brush or other grilling accessories, this one is great.
Using a meat thermometer insert into the thickest part of the meat. Chicken is done when it reaches 165 degrees.
Citrus is great to tenderize chicken - lemon, lime or orange is always a great choice!
Yes you can, especially if it's too acidic. It will change the texture of the chicken making it mushy - ewe!
A plastic bag or zip-top bag is a great way to marinade the chicken. Be sure to place it in a large bowl just in case it springs a leak. Or place it in a large baking dish.
Things to know
- The meat should be firm, not rubbery. Don't overcook the chicken; nobody likes dry chicken!
- Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature of the meat.
- Cutting into or slicing the meat prior to resting will allow all of the juices to escape and make your chicken dry.
Discard any of the Mexican marinade that has been used. Do not reuse the chicken marinade.
Leftover chicken can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to three days.
I'm such a fan of marinades and there are several on the blog that I know you love and you should definitely try! It's BBQ season - let's break out our grills!
- Lemon Pepper Marinade
- Teriyaki Marinade
- Korean BBQ Sauce Marinade
- Tuna Poke Marinade
- Chicken Fajita Marinade
- Chef’s Blend Dry Rub
Which recipes have you tried? If there is a recipe you've tried and love, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!
- Grilled Shrimp Kabobs - a quick and easy meal and only 15 minutes on the grill!
- BBQ Tri Tip Recipe - super tender and flavorful. Leftovers are perfect for sandwiches on day two!
- Lemon Pepper Chicken - this simple marinade is made with ingredients you have on hand - so GOOD!
- If you'll love this, be sure to try the Teriyaki Chicken Bowl Recipe - so tender and flavorful, it will quickly become a family favorite!
The addition of a gas grill has made weekday grilling possible, but we've fired up the charcoal grill too - I tell ya it's the best of both worlds!
I do love anything grilled so while you're grilling the chicken, put together some grilled vegetables in foil and bbq them right alongside! Here are more easy recipes to enjoy with this meal!
This is recipe is so versatile and the chicken is terrific for taco salad, topping your burrito bowls or chicken fajitas.
- The BEST Macaroni Pasta Salad - classic pasta salad.
- Chipotle Black Beans and Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice are terrific side dishes with this meal!
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus - everyone's favorite!
- Bow Tie Pasta Salad - no mayo, perfect for cookouts.
- Crockpot Baked Beans - always a favorite!
- BEST Crispy Baked Sweet Potatoes Fries - these are so yummy, be sure to serving with Alabama White BBQ Sauce.
- Paloma Cocktail Recipe with Blood Oranges - so bright and refreshing. Great for a pool party.
Want to try this Chili Lime Chicken Recipe? Then it's time to get your grill on! And when you do, swing back and share your comments below along with a five-star rating, that will make my day!
Be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – so I get to see all of your great pictures!!
Mexican Chicken Marinade Recipe
- 6 chicken breasts breasts or thighs, use your favorite cut of meat!
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 limes zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoon cilantro minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Start by making the marinade
- Measure the olive oil and add it to a measuring cup or small bowl.
- Juice and zest the limes - add them to the bowl.
- Mince the garlic and cilantro. Measure the spices and add everything to the bowl.
- Whisk everything together well. Pour into a ziplock bag.
- Add the chicken. Massage all the spices into the chicken. Allow to set for 30 minutes. Do not refrigerate, this way the meat will come to room temperature and be better for grilling!
- Now it's time to grill! Remove from the marinade, heat your grill and grill the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Cover and allow to rest for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
As I was writing this post, Dan looked over my shoulder at the pictures and said "ooh! I forgot how good that chicken is, can we have that for dinner again?!" I stopped what I was doing, went into the kitchen and pulled some frozen chicken breast out of the freezer. Dinner for tomorrow night? Decision made!
What Dan asks.... Dan gets! Hey... he spoils me, so I can do the same for him! 😀
We've been doing lots of grilling now for the last month or so - grilled lamb, ribs, burgers - you name it! Ooh and if you're looking for a great sauce, be sure to make this recipe for Alabama White Sauce - so yummy with grilled chicken!