One of our favorite, easiest and most economical meals is a pot of beans. If you're looking to stretch a dollar or enjoy a filling side dish or meal, beans is the way to go. Save money by learning how to cook dried black beans in the Instant Pot, Crockpot or Stovetop!
Black Beans in the Instant Pot
The first of the year Dan and I both set a goal to lose fifteen pounds. We were going to do it simply - making better choices, eating smaller portions and exercising more.
Dan's temptations come in the form of sweets. My weakness is savory bites like potato chips (specifically Ruffles...) and tortillas with cheese.... mmmm!
We both have our challenges. Figuring out how to make a change was easy enough. I just went to the web and found an app - I took my weight, my how much weight I wanted to lose and my goal date to be at that weight.
From there I learned I should eat 1800 calories a day to lose fifteen pounds. 1800 calories is quite a bit. I portioned it out to just under 300 calories for breakfast, 500 for lunch and the rest was left for a snack during the day and dinner.
To date, Dan has lost eleven pounds and I've lost nine. We are well over halfway to our goal and are both excited about our accomplishment thus far!
We haven't felt deprived either. One thing that has really helped, is not eating empty calories. This is definitely where beans come in!
How and why to cook black beans from scratch
The how and why is pretty simple - easy and affordable! It's so simple and the beans are terrific as a side dish, stuffed in a taco or added to a soup. It's a versatile protein used many ways.
- dried black beans
- onion, garlic
- cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, coriander
- optional garnishes; green onions, cheese, sliced jalapeños
How long does it take to cook black beans?
- On the stove top it will take anywhere from one to three hours, depending on the size and variety of beans.
- Cooking black beans in the slow cooker takes about four hours on high.
- Using an Instant Pot or pressure cooker cooking time is reduced to just 45 minutes.
How do you cook dried beans by presoaking?
Start by sorting and rinsing the beans well. Then soak them overnight in the refrigerator. After soaking be sure to rinse them thoroughly. Next add the beans to a large pot and fill with water and begin cooking.
How do you cook beans without soaking?
- Sort and rinse the beans.
- Place in a large pot and fill with enough water to cover beans by two or three inches.
- Cover and bring to a boil, reduce to a low boil for 2-3 hours.
- Check for doneness (by tasting 5 beans) cook longer if needed.
- When beans are done, serve warm, or allow to cool, and store in airtight containers.
I've used all three of these ways to cook black beans and by far my favorite is using my Instant Pot!
- The first thing you'll do is chop and onion and mince some garlic.
- Sauté the onions for just a couple of minutes in the Instant Pot
- Add the garlic and sauté for another minute then in go the spices, beans and liquid.
- Cover and seal the top, move the valve to seal. Change to manual and set the timer to 45 minutes. The Instant Pot does the rest!
How to use home cooked beans
Vegetarian Black Beans are creamy, flavorful and easy to make. They are a super affordable side dish, serving alongside delicious Chicken Fajitas they are a great party food!
I've also topped off tortillas with black beans, cheese and jalapeños and baked them making healthy taquitos!
Black beans are delicious in soup and my recipe for Skinny Taco Salad is topped off with cooked black beans. Using canned beans is an easy shortcut, but making your own is so easy and affordable. They freeze great too - why not give this recipe a try!
I know the Instant Pot is still a fairly new kitchen device and many of you do not have it yet, but when you're ready, it's a piece of equipment I definitely recommend purchasing.
More recipes using black beans
- Vegan Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos - hearty burritos filled with sweet potatoes and black beans.
- Black Bean Soup Recipe - hearty, comforting and satisfying!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links, however, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
- Instant Pot Duo 6 qt. 7 in 1 - this is the pressure cooker I have, I highly recommend it!
- Instant Pot Accessories - this is a great bundle and will save you $ instead of buying them separately.
- Replacement parts - after I lost the valve down my garbage disposal... this was the first thing I bought for my IP.
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
When you make this please comment below and let me know what you think! I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover - so I can see your photos!
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Cooking Dried Black Beans
- 1 pound black beans dried
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp coriander
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 to 1 ½ tsp salt do not add salt until the beans are completely cooked
- green onions, cheese, sliced jalapeños for garnish as desired optional garnishes
- Pour the dried beans into a colander. Carefully pick thru them, removing any rocks, dirt clods or blemished beans.
- Rinse thoroughly under cold water until the water runs clear, set aside.
- Peel and dice the yellow onion, mince the garlic.
- Set your Instant Pot on sauté and allow to heat for one minute.
- Add the olive oil and diced onions, sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add the clove of garlic and sauté for another minute or so, just until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the salt and enough liquid to cover 1 inch above the level of the beans.
- Add the Instant Pot lid and seal. Turning valve to seal. Change to manual setting and set timer for 45 minutes.
- When the timer is done, natural release (NR) for 10 minutes.
- Check seasoning - this is the time to add salt. You'll need to add 1 to 1 ½ teaspoons salt to taste.
- Top with sliced jalapeños, salty cojita cheese and sliced green onions.