Spicy, cheesy and hearty Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup is everything you want in an easy crockpot meal! Loaded with chicken, cheese, peppers, onions and spices your crockpot does all the work for you!
If you enjoy this recipe be sure and try traditional Mexican Albondiga Soup next! It's a yummy meal and really amazing!
Why you'll love this recipe
A few weeks ago my niece Christy and her daughter Chloe stopped by for a visit. We always have fun visiting the girls!The girls were so excited to meet our new puppy Jones! I've told you about Jones, right?
I was doing some recipe testing while they were here and this soup Christy declared "the best soup she's ever had in her life!"
Frankly, I have some amazing soups here on the blog - I mean Authentic Posole and Mexican Meatball Soup? YUM!!! (And if you ever thought about up'ing the flavor consider roasting green chiles in the fall, it only takes minutes and adds so much smokey goodness!)
Better than those delicious, comforting?
For the exact measurements, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post. You'll love how easy this one pot Chicken Enchilada Soup is to make. It's beyond delicious!
- boneless skinless chicken breasts - though you could certainly use chicken thighs. Also a leftover rotisserie chicken would and cut the cooking time in half!
- chicken stock • crushed tomatoes.
- green or red enchilada sauce - you can even substitute homemade enchilada sauce - delicious!
- black beans - traditional in this soup, you could switch out with pinto or brown beans.
- canned mild green chilis
- orange, green or a red bell pepper - you'll need two, any combination works.
- yellow onion - just a bit of chopping for this recipe.
- cumin, chili powder and salt to flavor the soup.
- butter and flour to make the roux - you can also use masa harina (corn flour) which will give it a rich tortilla flavor.
- shredded cheese - I've also used Velveeta and cream cheese. Both are delicious and a great swap - if it saves a trip to the grocery store, why not!
- First things, start by melting the butter, add the flour and spices – whisk until the flour is incorporated and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add the stock while whisking the roux. Bring to a boil, whisking until the sauce thickens
- Remove from heat, stir in the cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Peel and dice the onion and bell peppers.
- Next Add the chicken breast to the slow cooker, crushed tomatoes, green chilies, black beans and enchilada sauce.
- Top with diced vegetables and pour the cheese sauce over. Set too low and cook for 8 hours.
- When cooking is complete for the crockpot enchilada soup, remove the chicken breast and shred. Return the meat to soup and serve!
Although it's tempting to cook this on high so it's done more quickly, the chicken will be better if cooked on low for eight hours. Cooking it on low will ensure the meat is tender and can be easily shredded.
Follow the directions when you make the cheese sauce. Taking the time to cook the flour in the roux makes all the difference in the world. It's not hard or time-consuming, it just takes a few minutes.
This soup is stand-alone delicious. but if you love toppings - here are my favorite garnishes and optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions, diced avocados
Refrigerator - allow the stew to cool completely and store in food storage container for 3-4 days.
Freezer - this soup freezes great and will last up to three months.
- Tacos al Pastor - Tender, savory pork tacos are full of flavor but so easy to make in the crockpot! If you're looking for an easy meal for Taco Tuesday, this is it! Everyone loves these tacos!
- Southwest Salad Recipe - Bright fresh crunch in an easy big salad! This southwest salad recipe takes just minutes to make and is topped with a simple homemade vinaigrette, this is an easy and delicious salad!
- Mexican Fruit Salad - Great lunch or an easy salad that’s wonderful for a cookout on a hot summer’s day. Rainbow fruit salad combines fresh fruit & veggies for a real treat!
- Easy Sangria Recipe - An easy red sangria recipe that is pretty refreshing and delicious! My go-to recipe for summer entertaining. It’s pretty, it’s refreshing and delicious.
Looking for more comforting soup recipes? Slow cooker soup recipes? Check this out - 40+ recipes for you to try and enjoy!
- Be sure to try the Ground Beef Taco Dip, it's super simple and so good. A great party starter!!
- One of my favorite Crockpot Chicken Recipes is Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy - so simple, but SO GOOD!
- Homemade Bean with Bacon Soup - easy to make and using this shortcut cuts the prep time to minutes instead of hours.
- If you enjoy enchiladas, be sure to try Queso Chicken Enchiladas, it's an easy recipe and they are just delicious!
- Layered Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Casserole is everything you love in a casserole without the fuss of rolling them - it's delicious!
- Love soup? This authentic posole recipe is my personal favorite. Simple ingredients are combined to make the most delicious bowl of soup!
📙 What I've learned
You're really going to love this cheesy chicken enchilada soup recipe. I think you'll find this is a new family favorite!
This comforting soup is easy to make, tastes better on day two and freezes great. It's a meal I make again and again. I hope you give it a try soon and it makes it's way into your mealtime recipe rotation!
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 15 ounce crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce green enchilada sauce
- 1 15 ounce black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 4 ounce diced green chiles mild or hot, use your favorite
- 2 bell peppers I used red and orange, diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter one stick
- ½ cup flour
- 1 8 oz. shredded cheese Mexican four cheese blend.
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan on the stove over medium heat. When hot and bubbly add the flour and spices - salt, cumin and red pepper. Whisk until the flour is incorporated.
- Slow add the chicken stock whisking the entire time. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens, about five minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese, whisk until smooth. Set aside the cheese sauce.
- Peel and dice the onion. Dice the bell peppers.
- Add the chicken breast to the slow cooker.
- Top with crushed tomatoes, green chilies, black beans and enchilada sauce.
- Add the diced vegetables and pour the cheese sauce over. Add the crockpot lid and set on low. Cook for eight hours.
- When the cooking is complete, remove the chicken breast shred with two forks and add the shredded meat back into soup.
- Top with crushed tortilla chips, diced tomatoes and olives, really any of your favorite toppings and enjoy!!
Originally posted August 1, 2019 updated April 25 to improve instructions.