Everything about this simple recipe is easy and delicious! Layered tortillas topped with tender chicken, cheese and onions. Topped with a creamy green chili sauce and baked until golden brown. This Layered Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole is a meal the whole family will love!
Next time be sure to try this recipe - King Ranch Chicken Casserole with Rotel. It's a little spicy and cheesy and so good!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas are so popular in our house, it's a family favorite!!
✔️ This delicious recipe uses pantry and refrigerator ingredients. You probably have everything you need on hand!
✔️ Just like our favorite Rotel Chicken Spaghetti, this is a quick and easy weeknight dinner recipe!
✔️ No fussy mess from rolling each tortillas, just layer them in the dish and layer the ingredients on top! This is pure comfort food.
If you prefer making traditional enchiladas this red enchilada sauce recipe is really the best I've ever tried!
This creamy chicken enchiladas recipe uses simple ingredients. For the exact measurements, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- corn tortillas - I like corn tortillas in this recipes, however flour tortillas can be used as well. Personally I think it makes the casserole a little runny.
- cooked chicken breast - rotisserie chicken is great! You can use leftover roast chicken breasts or cooked chicken thighs, whichever you'd prefer. You can even use canned chicken if that's what is available.
- diced onion - for crunch and freshness
- evaporated milk - I prefer evaporated milk because it makes everything super creamy, but you could substitute with half and half or cream.
- cream of chicken soup - you could substitute cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup if desired.
- diced green chiles - I use canned green chilies for convenience, but you can certainly roast hatch spicy green chiles or Anaheim peppers as well. It will take extra time, but roasted chiles are amazing!
- shedded cheddar cheese - you can really substitute your favorite cheese, Monterey Jack, pepper jack cheese, queso fresco cheese doesn't melt as well, but it's super yummy and will give you authentic flavor! Cojita cheese, a Mexican blend cheese will make a salty, delicious topping but it doesn't melt well.
This is an overview of the instructions for this easy casserole. For the complete directions for this easy recipe just scroll down to the bottom!
- Preheat the oven and prepare the 9x13 inch casserole dish by spraying with non-stick cooking spray.
- Shred the chicken or cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the green chile enchilada sauce - cream of chicken soup, evaporated milk and chopped chilis (this sauce is referred to as green Chile sauce or enchilada sauce).
- Ladle the green chili enchilada sauce in the bottom of the baking dish, then place first layer of tortillas on the bottom of the pan.
- Top with shredded chicken mixture, onions, half the cheese. Add half the remaining green enchilada sauce to the top of the chicken.
- Layer the remaining tortillas on top of the cheese, spread with the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas and finish with the cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes or until the casserole is hot and bubbly.
- To brown the top of the green chili chicken casserole, place it under the broil for 3-5 minutes. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn.
- Cover loosely with foil and allow to set/rest for 10 minutes before serving.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- This is my favorite casserole dish - I love this set and have used it for years.
You can make/bake it the day before and reheat it in the oven on day two.
Either will work! I prefer the yellow corn, I think they have more flavor.
They are normally found in the Latino food aisle. If your store doesn't carry them, substitute with roasted poblano chilis - delicious!
No, it isn't spicy at all! Choose mild green chilis. If you like a spicer meal, add jalapeños or top with spicy salsa.
Yes, this super yummy Layered Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole freezes well. Make/bake the casserole. Allow to cool then wrap tightly with saran wrap and freeze.
Be sure to allow the casserole to rest 8-10 minutes before serving. If you cut into it right away, it will ooze all over the plate when after you dish it up. Wrap it loosely with aluminum foil and allow it to set.
Want to learn all about New Mexico Hatch Green Chiles - be sure check this out!
- If you prefer more of a lasagna style, fry or toast the tortillas first. It will keep the tortillas more firm.
- Add a tablespoon of cream cheese to each enchilada. They become so creamy. I just love the tanginess of cream cheese!
- You can certainly roll the tortillas if you prefer a traditional style enchilada! Place chicken, onions and sauce in the tortilla and roll cigar style. Top the casserole with sauce, remaining cheese and a few diced onions.
- Can this recipe be made vegetarian? Of course! Substitute black beans (rinsed and well drained) and corn for chicken and cream of mushroom or celery soup. Easy to make and delicious!
- If you like a spicer meal, choose medium or hot green chiles or add fresh sliced jalapeños to layers!
- refrigerate - allow to cool completely. Wrap in plastic wrap or store in an airtight container 3-4 days.
- freeze - wrap well in Saran Wrap or aluminum foil and freeze up to three months.
- reheat - allow to thaw overnight in the freezer. Reheat in the oven 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees.
Don't you just love Mexican food? Really the only thing you need with this recipe is chips and red salsa or salsa verde!
If you'd like, add your favorite toppings: a dollop of sour cream, black olives, fresh cilantro, thinly sliced green onion and tomatoes. Super yummy!
Serve this authentic New Mexico Posole to start the meal.
A side of refried beans would be delicious! Serve with warm flour tortillas or tortilla chips on the side.
If you're looking for more yummy main dishes, be sure to check out these delicious casserole recipes!
- Frito Pie Casserole - topped with crunchy chips and baked cheese, it's easy to make and everyone loves it!
- This recipe for Taco Salad Casserole combines your favorite salad in a baked meal. It's delicious!
- What's not to love about this Cowboy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe?!! You'll love it because everyone will clean their plates and dinnertime will be a breeze!
- This cheesy Chicken Enchilada Recipe or if you're watching your carbs, give the Low Carb Chicken Enchilada Casserole a try.
- If you love tortellini, this is the one for you! Baked Tortellini Recipe is so good and easy to make!
- One of my favorite yummy recipes - Chicken Spaghetti with Rotel! It's creamy, cheesy with just a hint of spice an SO GOOD!
🤔 What I've learned
- Double the recipe for this and freeze an extra casserole!
- This recipe for delicious Enchiladas Verde (which really just means green Chile enchiladas) is an easy dinner and a real favorite. Having a meal in the freezer is just smart!
- Because this is such a great pantry meal, keeping the ingredients on-hand makes for an easy weeknight meal.
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
When you make this please comment below and let me know what you think! I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover - so I can see your photos!
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Layered Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken diced
- ½ cup diced onion
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 10.5 ounces can cream of chicken soup
- 4 ounces can diced green chilis
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare 9x13 baking dish by spraying with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the cream of chicken soup, evaporated milk and chopped green chilis. (referred to as green Chile sauce or enchilada sauce)
- Ladle a little enchilada sauce, about ¼ cup in the bottom of the prepared baking dish, then layer four tortillas on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Top with diced cooked chicken, half the cheese, half the onions and half the remaining sauce.
- Layer the second layer of tortillas on top of the cheese. Spread with remaining sauce covering the entire surface. Sprinkle with remaining onions and finish with a layer of shredded cheese.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake casserole for 40 minutes or until the casserole is hot and bubbly.
- To brown the top of the layered green chili chicken casserole, place it under the broil for 3-5 minutes. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn.
- Cover finished casserole loosely with foil and allow to set/rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- If desired, top green enchiladas with a little sour cream or a dollop of greek yogurt and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.