Cheesy, crunchy Frito Pie Casserole is easy to make and a terrific weeknight meal! Stuffed with ground beef, a handful of pantry ingredients then topped with a cheesy crunchy crust. It's fabulous!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
It's easy to make, crunchy, cheesy, beefy and SO YUMMY! Because it only takes 30 minutes to make this is a great weeknight meal your entire family will love!
For the exact measurements, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
🙋🏼♀️ Recipe FAQ's
Well the sky is the limit! Think of your Frito pie like a taco - top it with diced tomatoes, sliced onions, cilantro, olives, guacamole or avocado (yum!), salsa or sour cream. Really anything you love on a taco, goes great on top of this casserole.
It's a popular casserole dish, especially in the midwest and southern portions of the United States. Because this dish is normally served with Fritos corn chips, it's called a Frito Pie!
Well they are kinda sorta the same thing the difference is a walking taco is served in individual chip bags. Just crunch up the chips and spoon the casserole on top and serve with a spoon. Kids love this dish!
- Cover the casserole for baking and when time is up, heat it under the broiler for 2-4 minutes for a golden crust.
- No casserole dish handy? Make the entire meal in your cast iron skillet. Skip the chips and cheese on the bottom and instead sprinkle them on top and bake as directed.
- Love the dish but not all the sodium? Omit the chips on the bottom. Personally, I love the way the chips and cheese combine to almost make a crust on the bottom, but it totally works with just the chips on top.
- No Frito's - try Doritos! Super yummy as well!
- Turn this dish into walking tacos by serving it individual bags of chips - the kids love this meal!
- Lighten it up by substituting ground chicken or turkey for the beef. Make it vegetarian by omitting the meat entirely and just use three cans of beans. Just be sure to rinse and drain them well.
No meat in the freezer - substitute the ground beef and kidney beans with a couple cans of your favorite chili. Add the remaining ingredients the recipe calls for.
Refrigerator: Allow the meal to completely cool. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate up to four days.
Freezer: The Frito Pie Casserole freezes really well! Again you'll need to allow it to cool completely and wrap tightly with aluminum foil. It will freeze up to three months. Thaw it completely in the refrigerator overnight. Bake as directed. For best results, add the chips and cheese on top just prior to baking.
Reheating: For best results reheat in the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, bake for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Individual servings can be reheated in the microwave.
🥗 Serving Suggestions
Finishing the meal with this old fashioned blueberry cobbler, mmmm! Now that would be one delicious meal!
😋 Related Recipes
If you love this meal, be sure and try my Homemade Chili Recipe - it is delicious!
Looking for more yummy casserole dishes? Here are a few of my favorites that are super popular on the blog!
- This creamy beef noodle casserole is super easy to make and packed with cheesy, beefy goodness! It's been so popular and a real family favorite!
- Ditch all the fussy prep and make this instead! Super yummy bell pepper casserole is so flavorful and just the BEST hot dish!
- Crockpot Chicken and Gravy - another easy to make casserole that will quickly become a family favorite!
Frito Pie Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion peeled and diced
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup salsa
- 15 ounce kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce cream style corn
- 9 oz. bag Fritos corn chips divided
- 2 cups shredded cheese divided
- green onion, cilantro and tomato for garnish optional
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Prepare a 9x13-inch glass baking dish by spraying it with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- Crumble the ground beef into a large skillet. Add the onions and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the beef is fully browned. Drain off the excess fat if desired.
- Add the taco seasoning mix and cream style corn stir to combine. Add the salsa, corn and beans; stir well; bring to a simmer and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour half Fritos into the bottom of the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese. Evenly spread the meat mixture over the chips. Add the rest of the corn chips then top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover the casserole and bake the casserole at 350ºF for 18-20 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Cool slightly before serving. Sprinkle with garnishes; cilantro, sliced onions and tomatoes, serve with a dollup of sour cream and salsa.