With only a handful of ingredients slow cooker chicken and gravy is an easy kid friendly meal the whole family will love! Made in the crockpot and served over rice or noodles it's simple and delicious!
Next time try this easy recipe for Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole - you'll love it!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
Crockpot chicken and gravy is the easiest and best slow cooker meal! It's pure comfort food. When you get home from your busy day, just shred the chicken (I love to use a handheld mixer for this.)
It only takes minutes of prep time.
Serve the shredded chicken with rich, thick, creamy gravy over rice or noodles.
And just like this, your amazing dinner is done!
You'll only need a handful of simple ingredients for this easy chicken recipe. For the exact measurements, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- chicken gravy packets - though you can use brown gravy mix as well, grab the dry gravy packet.
- cream of chicken soup
- chicken broth
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions for Crockpot Chicken and Gravy just scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom of this post!
- Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper and garlic powder, place chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
- Whisk together the cream of chicken soup, packet of gravy mix, chicken broth and mustard (if using!) until completely smooth. Pour over the chicken.
- Seal the crockpot and cook on low.
- When the chicken is tender and cooked, shred the chicken.
- Serve over white rice, noodles or mashed potatoes, enjoy!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- I've used this Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker for years - it's a great piece of equipment!
- and yes.... I use a hand mixer for shredding the meat. It works brilliantly and it's super affordable!
If you don't want to use a gravy packet, consider making your gravy from scratch! Over here you'll find great a great gravy recipe with step by step instructions.
Absolutely! There is no need to cook the chicken first. However if you decide to sear it first, it's going to add a bit more flavor. Either way, this is a delicious meal!
There are many shortcuts to add additional flavor to a gravy mix. Consider adding a couple tablespoons of minced fresh herbs, a healthy pinch of red chili powder, a splash of dry white wine or a couple teaspoons of dijon mustard. Any of this will a just a little something and make your gravy even tastier!
- The easiest way to shred this chicken is with a handheld mix on low. Takes about two minutes for an easy mess-free method! Be sure to keep it on low though, if you turn the mixer any higher the gravy will splatter!
If you have leftover slow cooker chicken and gravy, but not enough for another full meal, how about making some soup? Add fresh sautéed or frozen vegetables and extra chicken stock and you'll have a yummy chicken soup. Toss in your leftover rice or pasta as well. It's a great way to stretch a buck and repurpose your leftovers!
Add baby potatoes and sliced mushrooms to the crockpot with the chicken. They will cook together and all be done at the same time!
Stirring in about half a cup of sour cream at the end will make this even more rich and delicious!
If you're looking for a great Thanksgiving dinner, sub out the chicken for turkey breasts. Just as delicious!
I'm such a big fan of an easy crockpot recipe! It's a great recipe and delicious over mashed potatoes, egg noodles and white or brown rice. Be sure to ladle a big spoonful of the gravy mixture on top!
- Refrigerate - store leftovers crock pot chicken in an airtight container. It will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Freezer - allow to cool completely and store leftovers in an airtight container. Freeze up to three months.
Shredded meat is a great way to add flavor and stretch a meal. This Instant pot chicken recipe makes for juicy shredded chicken!
If you're looking for another great slow cooker recipe, be sure to check out crockpot shredded chicken tacos here. Loads of flavor and super simple, everyone loves tacos!
I love all the flavor that's rendered in this recipe for Cola pulled pork made in the instant pot, even though it cooks so quickly!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy
- 3-4 skinless boneless chicken breasts You can use white meat chicken or boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 .87 ounce packets of chicken gravy mix
- 1 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 14.5 ounce can of chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard optional
- Prepare the crockpot by spraying with nonstick cooking spray.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, place chicken breast in the crockpot.
- In a small bowl combine the cream of chicken soup, gravy mix, chicken broth and mustard (if using!) until completely smooth. Pour over the chicken.
- Seal the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- When the chicken is tender and cooked, remove and shred with two forks. Return it to the chicken to the slow cooker. Mix everything together well.
- Serve over cooked rice, noodles or mashed potatoes, enjoy!