Pan Roasted Vegetables are lightly sautéed in butter and olive oil until caramelized and sweet. Adding tomatoes at the end makes a delicate light sauce. An easy lightened up side dish that only takes 15 minutes to make!
Pan Roasted Vegetables with Sauce
No room in the oven, but you want to make a delicious, easy side dish? Here’s one of my favorites! Pan Roasted Vegetables! Only 15 minutes to make and I know you’ll love them!
Side dishes not made in the oven are important. I’m thinking you have that same problem, right? Some of my favorite easy sides are Steamed Brussels Sprouts, 3 Ingredient Steamed Green Beans or a great Steakhouse Salad!
Pan Roasted Veggies
When we were kids Mom used to fry zucchini all the time and I’ve always loved it pan fried. I’ve updated Mom’s recipe by adding more delicious vegetables. Pan roasting the vegetables adds even more flavor to an easy side dish!
What’s even better about this recipe is you toss everything into the skillet and only stir them three times during the cooking process.
What? Yup, only three times because that’s how you get beautiful caramelization.
Here’s how easy this side dish is – clean and slice the squash, onions, slice the mushrooms in half. Dice the tomato and mince the garlic.
Do roasted vegetables need to be refrigerated?
Yes, after they’ve cooled completely, cover and refrigerate.
Can you reheat roasted vegetables?
Yes! The best way to reheat roasted vegetables is to put them in the oven. Microwaving them will result in mushy veggies.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spread the leftover vegetables onto a sheet pan and bake for 6-8 minutes.
How to Roast Fresh Vegetables
Steps to Pan Roast Vegetables
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium on the stove. When the skillet is hot then add butter and olive oil.
- When the butter and olive oil is hot and bubbly, add the squash, onions and mushrooms, season with pepper.
- Mix to combine the spices – spread the vegetables evenly in the pan, then set your timer for five minutes. Do. Not. Stir. Resist the urge! 😂
- Stir and set the timer for five more minutes. Don’t stir or move the vegetables around.
- After five minutes stir again, set timer for another five minutes. When there is one minute left on the timer, add the tomatoes and garlic and mix well.
- The garlic will cook in less than a minute, the tomatoes will reduce from the heat and make a light pan sauce.
Season with salt at the end. If you season during the cooking process, the moisture from the vegetables will make them steam, not caramelize.
Best Pan for Roasting Vegetables
See that beautiful caramelization? That’s what happens when you allow the vegetables to sear.
- A heavy bottom skillet – this is a great time to use a cast iron skillet or another heavy pan. A heavy skillet will evenly distribute the heat and sear the vegetables beautifully!
I know you’ll love this one – here’s the recipe!
Roast the vegetables that are in season!
- Winter – carrots, parsnips, rutabagas, brussels sprouts
- Spring – asparagus, fennel, leeks, carrots – wilting spinach at the last moment would be delicious!
- Summer – eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, beets, tomatoes
- Fall – potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes and yams
Love your veggies? Here are even more delicious side dishes to try!
- Oven Roasted Delicata Squash
- Roasted Radishes with Potatoes
- Loaded Baked Potato Casserole
- Vegetable Casserole
- Braised Purple Cabbage
- Sweet Potatoes Wedges
This post contains affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
Can’t go wrong with a great Cast Iron Skillet! They are affordable and conduct heat so evenly. A must for every kitchen!
When you make this recipe, I’d love it if you’d leave a five-star rating below! And if you post a photo, please tag me! You can tag me with #bowlmeover or on Instagram at @bowl_me_over so I can see how yummy they turned out!!
Pan Roasted Vegetables
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 red onion
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 1 tomato
- 1 clove garlic large clove, if your cloves are small use two.
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Clean and slice the squash, onions, slice the mushrooms in half. Dice the tomato and mince the garlic.
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium on the stove. When the skillet is hot the add butter and olive oil.
- When the butter and olive oil is hot and bubbly, add the squash, onions and mushrooms, season with black pepper and red pepper flakes. Mix to combine the spices - spread the vegetables evenly in the pan, then set your timer for five minutes. Do. Not. Stir.
- When the timer goes off, stir and set the timer for an additional five minutes.
- After five minutes stir again, set timer for an another five minutes.
- When there is one minute left on the timer, add the tomatoes, garlic and salt. Mix well. The garlic will cook in less than a minute, the tomatoes will reduce from the heat and make a light pan sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!