Roasted Radishes Recipe with Potatoes – Roasting radishes mellows their peppery bite and brings out the sweetness of this tasty vegetable. Paired with potatoes they are a yummy contrast in flavor and a great side dish to serve with just about any meal!
You know I’ve been talking about all the grilling we’ve been doing lately, right? There’s something about a big T-Bone on the Weber that makes my mouth water every time!
Yes we’re enjoying the gas grill…. but every now and then, it’s good to breakout the big-boy too!
Gotta love a great meal on the grill!
This time though I thought I would mix up our sides and rather than serve just the asparagus with the steak I broke out my roasted radishes recipe. Have you ever roasted radishes?
Can radishes be roasted?
- You betcha! Roasting the veg makes them slightly sweet and mellows the peppery finish you get from a raw radish. They are delicious roasted!
Do you have to peel a radish?
- While you can peel the radish, I certainly don’t. I love the pretty red color that comes from roasting. The bright red of the outside turns into a mauvish-red. The outside crust delicious, while the inside of the radishes gets light and fluffy!
Though it’s been hot, we’ve still been doing some BBQ’ing. Dan is quite the griller and I find it’s best when I just step out of the way and let him do his thing, because he does it very well!
I mean just look at that steak, right?
What does a roasted radish taste like?
Roasting the radishes tames the peppery finish you get from a raw radish and makes them slightly sweet. Think roasted potatoes with more flavor! Really this is an outstanding dish!
Why you should be roasting radishes:
- Great flavor, they are juicy and delicious!
- Mixes up your dinnertime side dish routine.
- They are a low carb, tasty veggie!
Ok… at this point are you thinking…. Deb that’s just weird? Perhaps but I want you to give this a try! Radishes and potatoes are affordable year-round, so go ahead and step out on that ledge just a bit. I think you’ll find that you really like these!
Lots of people roast potatoes, but if you’ve never tried roasted radishes, it’s time to change that! It’s super simple (that has definitely been my theme as of late) and really flavorful – it’s the perfect and affordable side dish for grilled chicken, pork or steak.
How long can you keep radishes in the fridge?
Unwashed, radishes will last three to five days in the refrigerator.
How do I keep radishes fresh?
- Remove the leaves.
- Wash them to remove any dirt.
- Remove the tip of the root.
- Wrap them in a damp paper towel and store them in a plastic bag.
- Properly stored radishes will keep in the refrigerator seven to ten days.
How do you make Roasted Radishes Recipe with Potatoes?
- Clean the potatoes well and slice them in half.
- Clean the radishes, lob off the greens and remove the root end – keep them whole. (Basically you want the potatoes & radishes to be about the same size for even cooking time.)
- Put the potatoes & radishes in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil, dash on some grill seasoning, salt & pepper – spread them out on a sheet pan, cut side down
- Bake in preheated oven, flipping once during cooking time.
We all know what roasted potatoes taste like and the radishes, well roasting mellows their peppery spice, lightens their color and sweetens the flavor just a bit.
They taste kinda like a roasted turnip with a peppery finish. We LOVE them – it’s definitely something you’re going to want to try! Plus they are a great low carb substitute if you omit the potatoes.
More great radish recipes?
- Radish Butter Spread – Feeding Big
- Radish Pico de Gallo – Little Figgy Food
- Sweet Hot Pickled Radishes – Bowl Me Over
When you give this a try, be sure to come back and comment below I’d love to hear what you think of roasted radishes! Or on Instagram, please tag me at @bowl_me_over – can’t wait to see your comments!!
Roasted Radishes Recipe with Potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds fingerling potatoes
- 1 bunch radishes
- 1-2 tablespoons grill seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Wash and clean potatoes. Slice any large potatoes in half - put them in a large bowl.
- Wash and clean radishes. Remove the green tops and the roots. Add them to the bowl. (The potatoes & the radishes should be about the same size so they have even cooking time.)
- Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and mix well. Sprinkle with grill seasoning, salt & pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Put all of the vegetables on a sheet pan. Make sure they are evenly spaced out so they can roast (not steam). Place cut sides down. Scatter the radishes around the pan.
- Place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes - remove & flip all of the vegetables over, return to the oven for another 20 minutes.
- Can be served hot or room temperature.