This pineapple casserole is the perfect dish to bring to your next potluck or holiday gathering! Not only is it delicious, but it's also super easy to make. The only question is will it be a dessert or side dish!
Next time try Cracker Barrel Fried Apples - it's a delicious recipe!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ It's easy to make and makes for an excellent dish to feed a crowd.
✔️ It's delicious and only requires a few basic ingredients.
✔️ It's perfect for potlucks and family gatherings.
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- canned pineapple chunks, well drained
- cheddar cheese
- butter, melted
- buttery Ritz crackers for the perfect crispy topping!
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ degrees, Butter 8x8 baking dish, set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, salt and reserved pineapple juice. Add pineapple chunks and toss well to combine.
- Spoon pineapple mixture into a casserole dish and top with shredded cheese.
- Crush the crackers. In a small bowl, combine Ritz crackers and melted butter. Spread Ritz cracker topping evenly on top of pineapple mixture.
- Place in a preheated oven. Bake for 30 minutes until hot and bubbly
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- medium bowl
- small bowl
- 8x8 baking dish
You need to drain the pineapple really well with a sieve (rather than a strainer.) Blot any excess liquid prior to baking.
This recipe can be either a dessert or side dish, it's up to you! I like to serve it as a side dish at potlucks.
Buttery crackers like Ritz work best. Salty crackers like saltines or gold fish would be the next best thing.
Yes, you can assemble the casserole ahead of time and bake it when you're ready. Just add 5-10 minutes to the baking time.
No, fresh pineapple really doesn't work well in this southern casserole.
- It's best to get as much juice out of the pineapple as possible. Be sure to blot it dry with a paper towel or kitchen towel.
- Use a good quality cheddar cheese, it makes all the difference in the flavor.
- Make sure to crush the crackers really well so they form a nice crust on top.
- If you don't have a 8x8 baking dish, you can use a 9x9 or even a 7x11. Just adjust the baking time accordingly.
- You could easily add in some chopped ham or bacon to this recipe changing it from a sweet dish to a savory side dish.
- Add some crunch to this recipe by mixing ½ cup of pecans or walnuts with the pineapple mixture.
- Another great addition to this casserole would be sweetened coconut flakes.
- Add some extra flavor by mixing in ground nutmeg or cinnamon.
- You can also add in halved maraschino cherries for extra sweetness and color.
Refrigerator - Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freezer - Pineapple casserole can be frozen for up to 2 months. Let thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Reheat - Place the casserole in a 350˚ degree oven for 15-20 minutes, or until heated through.
- If you love cracker topped casseroles you are going to love this Ritzy Chicken Casserole recipe.
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole is creamy, cheesy and makes for a filling casserole that your entire family will love.
- If you are craving a hearty and comforting casserole then look no further than this Easy Chicken Pot Pie recipe.
- Easter Ham with Orange Glazed Marmalade Ham is simple to make and turns out delicious for a holiday meal.
- Candied Sweet Potatoes are a classic holiday dish that your entire family is going to love.
- I didn't think you would get any easier than Southern Style Green Beans, but the pressure cooker has made it even easier, your whole family will love this simple side dish.
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
What do you think? Are you ready to give this unique casserole a try?!! If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Old Fashioned Pineapple Casserole
- 40 ounces pineapple chunks 2 (20 oz)cans, well drained - reserve ⅓ cup of the juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers coarsely crushed about 30 crackers
- Preheat oven to 350˚ degrees, Butter 8x8 baking dish, set aside.
- Drain pineapple chunks. Place in a sieve and drain completely, blotting any excess liquid. Reserve ⅓ cup of pineapple juice.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, salt and reserved pineapple juice. Add the sweet pineapple chunks and toss well to combine.
- Spoon pineapple mixture into prepared casserole dish and top with shredded cheese.
- Crush the crackers. In a small bowl, combine Ritz crackers and melted butter. Top with buttery cracker crumbs evenly on the pineapple mixture.
- Place in preheated oven. Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown, hot and bubbly.