WOW your family and make the best steak! Get your grill on with this simple BBQ Tri Tip Recipe! It's delicious and a great weeknight meal that takes just minutes to make!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
Today we're talking grilled beef. That super delicious open-the-fridge-grabbing-a-snack (well after dinner is done) grilled Tri Tip steaks. It's really a delicious meal!
Yes it's THAT good! In a word.... YUM!!
Santa Maria Style Tri Tip a lean cut of beef that grill up tender and moist. It doesn't take all day and that thinly sliced beef is absolutely delicious!
- tri tip roast - also known as a triangle roast, bottom sirloin butt or a Santa Maria steak. This cut is taken from the sirloin ares. The Tri Tip cut is rich and flavorful, but is lower in fat - so it can dry out quickly!
- dry rub - use a rich flavorful rub. The link is for my recipe, but you can use your favorite.
- BBQ sauce - this delicious homemade sauce is super yummy but if you have a great off-the-shelf sauce, by all means use that!
- olive oil - helps the dry rub adhere to the roast giving it even more flavor.
- Rub the roast with olive oil and sprinkle with dry rub or steak seasoning. Preheat the grill to heat. Insert a meat thermometer (or have an instant read thermometer handy) Place on grill, cook on side one for 3 minutes, flip and grill on side two.
- Reduce the gas grill heat to medium-low. The temperature of your grill should be between 275-325 degrees. Grill for approximately 20 minutes, baste with sauce.
- Sear the roast on both sides.
- Using a meat thermometer, cook the steak to your desired temperature: 140°F for medium rare, 145°F for medium. Do not overcook, this cut has very little fat and can dry out quickly
- Remove the triangle steak from grill and allow the meat to rest. Cut thin slices against the grain. Serve and enjoy!
What temp is tri tip done? Remove from the grill when the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees. Allow the meat to rest at room temperature for 10 minutes covered with foil. This will ensure a juicy, mouthwatering roast!
BBQ Tri Tip Temperature
- 135°F for rare
- 140°F for medium rare
- 145°F for medium
No need to be intimidated and don't think your meal won't be tender and mouthwatering. This will be as good (better?) than your fav BBQ joint and more fun! What I love about grilling
- no standing in line
- less expensive
- you're the star of the grill!
Expert Tip: Get an instant read grill thermometer. That way you can ensure it's perfectly cooked every time!
Slicing into the roast to check for doneness will allow the juices to escape and results in a dry roast. For best results use an instant read thermometer.
- Rest roast to rest for 10 minutes after removing it from the grill. It will allow the juices to redistribute through the meat.
- Slicing against the muscle fibers will result in a more tender juicy steak.
I think you should try this BBQ Tri Tip Recipe right away! It's so easy and it's a great weeknight meal.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
If you're interested in grill probe, I highly recommend it - takes the guess work and ensures tender steak every time!
It will take just over 30 minutes - this is an easy weeknight meal!
Sear it on both sides at a high heat and then reduce the heat cooking between 275-325 degrees.
It's very lean and it can be tough if not cooked correctly. It's not hard to cook though, just follow the step-by-step directions below!
Slice it against the grain. This will make it super tender. Slicing with the grain will result in tough meat.
I got mine at Costco, it was $6.99/lb., very affordable! Of course it will be different depending upon your area.
This particular cut of meat is readily available. It can be found at your local grocery store, or the local butcher shop.
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus - also made on the grill these are so good!
- 3 Ingredient Steamed Green Beans - this simple microwave recipe makes perfectly steamed green beans every thing
- The very BEST salad every! Filled with crunch and marinated vegetables, it's almost a meal in itself. Perfect with the meat - Steakhouse Salad: No boring salads here!
- The BEST Macaroni Pasta Salad - summertime needs a great macaroni salad!!
- a Paloma or Last Word Cocktail is a great compliment to this meal!
Beef... it's what's for dinner! And if you enjoy this tasty meal, then here are a few more of my favorite beef recipes!
- Salisbury Steak - easy to make, this simple meal takes less than 30 minutes to make AND it makes its own gravy. It's is really delicious!
- This simple recipe for Home Cooked Roasted Beef is super simple. And because it's made in the crockpot this is a hands-free easy dinner!
- Beef Noodle Casserole is what's for dinner! Super saucy and cheese this simple meal is a family favorite!
What I've learned
I wish my folks were here to enjoy this with us because this is exactly the kind of meal they would love!
It's a lean cut that's very affordable and when cooked correctly it's tender flavorful. Without a doubt, this is the BEST way to BBQ a Tri-Tip cut! It's one of my favorite recipes for an easy grilled steak.
Now I'm not kidding you, this is a grill, thinly slice kinda meal. You'll have dinner and then spend the rest of the evening sneaking into kitchen and grabbing slices out of the refrigerator.
It's that delicious! I love this BBQ Tri Tip Recipe!
Tried it and love this recipe? I knew you would!! Please share your comments below along with a five-star rating, you’ll make my day!
Be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – so I get to see all of your great pictures!!
BBQ Tri Tip Recipe
- Rub the tri tip roast with olive oil and sprinkle with rub, making sure to get in all the nooks and crannies.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit for an hour for the meat to absorb the flavor.
- Heat the grill to high heat. Insert the probe in the thickest part of the meat.
- Grill on side one for 3 minutes (fat side down first), flip grill on side two. Low the gas and reduce the grill heat to medium-low. This is give it a great crust. The temperature of your grill should be 275-325.
- Grill for approximately 20 minutes or until the internal temperature of registers to your preferred doneness. Flipping occasionally. Right before removing from the grill baste both sides with bbq sauce.
- Remove from grill, rest on platter tented with foil to keep the meat warm. Slice thinly against the grain of the meat. Serve with additional bbq sauce to pass. Enjoy!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
First published May 6, 2019 - Updated June 11, 2021 to improve instructions