WOW your family and make the best steak! Get your grill on with this simple BBQ Tri Tip Recipe! It's delicious and a great weeknight meal that takes just minutes to make!
Today we're talking grilled beef. That super delicious open-the-fridge-grabbing-a-snack (well after dinner is done) grilled meat.
Yes it's THAT good!In a word.... YUM!!
- tri tip roast - also known as a triangle roast, bottom sirloin butt or a Santa Maria steak. This cut is taken from the sirloin ares. It's rich in flavorful, but is lower in fat - so it can dry out quickly!
- dry rub - use a rich flavorful rub. The link is for my recipe, but you can use your favorite.
- BBQ sauce - this delicious homemade sauce is super yummy but if you have a great off-the-shelf sauce, by all means use that!
- olive oil - helps the dry rub adhere to the roast giving it even more flavor.
- Rub the roast with olive oil and sprinkle with dry rub. Preheat the grill to heat. Insert a meat thermometer (or have an instant read one handy) cook on side one for 3 minutes, flip and grill on side two.
- Reduce the grill heat to medium-low. The temperature of your grill should be between 275-325 degrees. Grill for approximately 20 minutes, baste with sauce.
- Sear the roast on both sides.
- Using a meat thermometer, cook the steak to your desired temperature: 140°F for medium rare, 145°F for medium. Do not overcook, this cut has very little fat and can dry out quickly
- Remove from grill and allow the meat to rest. Thinly slice against the grain. Serve and enjoy!
Tips & FAQ's
I think you should try this BBQ Tri Tip Recipe right away! It's so easy and it's a great weeknight meal.
No need to be intimidated and don't think your meal won't be tender and mouthwatering. This will be as good (better?) than your fav BBQ joint and more fun!
- no standing in line
- less expensive
- you're the star of the grill!
What do you eat with tri-tip?
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- 3 Ingredient Steamed Green Beans
- Steakhouse Salad: No boring salads here!
- The BEST Macaroni Pasta Salad
- a Paloma Cocktail is a great compliment to this meal!
How long does it take to cook a 3 pound tri tip?
It will take just over 30 minutes - this is an easy weeknight meal!
What temperature do you grill tri tip?
Sear it on both sides at a high heat and then reduce the heat cooking between 275-325 degrees.
What temp is tri tip done?
- 135°F for rare
- 140°F for medium rare
- 145°F for medium
140 degrees is the recommended temperature for a tender juicy roast!
Is tri tip a tough cut of meat?
It's very lean and it can be tough if not cooked correctly. It's not hard to cook though, just follow the step-by-step directions below!
How do you slice it?
Be sure to slice it against the grain
How much is tri tip?
I got mine at Costco, it was $6.99/lb., very affordable! Of course it will be different depending upon your area.
Why you should make this recipe
I wish my folks were here to enjoy this with us because this is exactly the kind of meal they would love!
It's a lean cut that's very affordable and when cooked correctly it's tender flavorful.
Now I'm not kidding you, this is a grill, thinly slice kinda meal. You'll have dinner and then spend the rest of the evening sneaking into kitchen and grabbing slices out of the refrigerator.
It's that delicious!
I love this BBQ Tri Tip Recipe!
More Grilling Recipes!
- Grilled Shrimp - a simple how to and they are perfect every time!
- Grilled Chili Lime Chicken - oh my goodness, this is one of my very favorite meals, the chicken is so tender from the marinade.
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus - yum! Bacon does make everything better
- Shrimp Tacos - oh my gosh, the easiest and the best and only 15 minutes to make? This is a weekly meal at our house!
Amazon Disclosure: Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
If you're interested in grill probe, I highly recommend it - takes the guess work and ensures tender steak every time!
Tried it and love this recipe? I knew you would!! Please share your comments below along with a five-star rating, you’ll make my day!
Be sure to tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover – so I get to see all of your great pictures!!
BBQ Tri Tip Recipe
- Rub the tri tip roast with olive oil and sprinkle with rub, making sure to get in all the nooks and crannies.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit for an hour for the meat to absorb the flavor.
- Heat the grill to high heat. Insert the probe in the thickest part of the meat.
- Grill on side one for 3 minutes, flip grill on side two. Reduce the grill heat to medium-low. The temperature of your grill should be 275-325.
- Grill for approximately 20 minutes or until the internal temperature of registers to your preferred doneness. Flipping occasionally. Right before removing from the grill baste both sides with bbq sauce.
- Remove from grill, rest on platter tented with foil to keep the meat warm. Slice thinly against the grain. Serve with additional bbq sauce to pass. Enjoy!