Summertime is all about grilling out and enjoying good food with friends and family. This recipe for grilled honey glazed chicken is perfect for any summer barbecue! The chicken is juicy and flavorful, and the sweet honey glaze gives it a delicious coating.
Next time try this recipe for How to Grill Tri Tip - seriously amazing and perfect every time!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ It's easy to make with just a few ingredients.
✔️ It's perfect for a summer BBQ.
✔️ The chicken is juicy and full of flavor and makes a delicious main course that the whole family will love.
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- soy sauce
- Dijon Mustard
- garlic salt, chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, black pepper
- lemon juice
- olive oil
- bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs or chicken breasts
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Prepare marinade, combine honey, soy sauce, dijon mustard lemon juice, olive oil and all of thee spices, set aside.
- Place chicken thighs in 9x13 baking dish.
- Pour half the honey mixture over the chicken pieces. Cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate. Reserve remaining marinade.
- Preheat BBQ to 350 degrees. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sear over direct heat. Transfer meat to indirect heat. Continue cooking for 10-15 minutes, cover closed.
- While grilling brush chicken thighs with a generous layer of the reserved marinade. Grill until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- mixing bowl
- 9x13 casserole dish
- plastic wrap
- grilling brush
It will take about 10-15 minutes to grill chicken thighs over direct heat, and another 10-15 minutes over indirect heat. The internal temperature should reach 165 degrees F.
There are a few things you can do to prevent chicken thighs from drying out on the grill. Grill over indirect heat so that the chicken doesn't overcook. And, brush the chicken with a little bit of olive oil, butter or marinade.
I flip my chicken halfway through, while it's on the grill. You can tell the chicken is ready to flip when it releases from the grill.
When the chicken is almost done cooking, you can place it over direct heat for a minute or two to crisp up the skin. Just be careful not to overcook the chicken.
I always grill chicken skin side down first, because it helps the chicken cook evenly.
Things to know
- The chicken can be marinated for up to 12 hours.
- The recipe calls for bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. You can also use chicken breasts or chicken legs.
- Make sure that you chicken the internal temperature of the chicken in the center of the thickest part.
- If you're using chicken breasts for this recipe, pound them out with a meat mallet first so that they are the same thickness and cook evenly - that means juicy chicken!
- Sliced green onions can be added to the marinade for a deep flavor.
- You can grill this chicken on a gas grill or if you're using a charcoal grill, over medium coals. Really any type of outdoor grill or even an indoor grill pan if you prefer.
- Add some heat to your marinade by adding red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, or hot sauce before you marinate the chicken.
- If you prefer low sodium recipes, then you can use low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos.
- You can add more flavor to the sweet honey glaze by using some grated fresh ginger to the sauce.
- Instead of garlic powder and garlic salt, you can use minced garlic cloves for a fresh flavor.
- Lime juice can be used in place of the lemon juice for a slightly different taste.
- Next time use boneless pork chops with this easy recipe!
- A splash of orange juice added to this sauce can bring a bright flavor to this chicken thighs recipe.
Refrigerate - Store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freezer - Freeze chicken thighs in a freezer safe bag or container for up to 2 months. Let thaw overnight in the fridge before cooking.
Reheat - Reheat chicken on the grill, in the oven at 350 degrees for five to ten minutes, or in the microwave.
- Grilled Turkey Burgers is a great recipe to make if you are trying to stay on track with your health goals.
- Grilled Chili Lime Chicken is a fresh and flavorful chicken recipe that is perfect for busy weeknights.
- If you love a great spicy chicken tenders recipe, be sure to try this recipe next!
- If you are looking for a new dinner recipe give this Grilled Shrimp Nicoise Salad a try soon.
- tGrilled Foil Pack Vegetables is a staple grilling season side dish, and your entire family will love it.
- Make a big batch of crock pot baked beans - they are so good and perfect with grilled chicken!
- This Cracker Barrel Potato Casserole is perfect if you're feeding a crowd!
- Are you looking for a simple side dish to serve with this weeknight dinner? Serve with Deviled Egg Potato Salad or a Classic Macaroni Salad recipe.
- Mexican Fruit Salad is the perfect blend of sweet and spicy and is a delicious fresh side dish to serve with this chicken.
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Grilled Honey Glazed Chicken
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- In a large bowl combine the marinade ingredients, soy sauce, Dijon mustard, garlic salt, chili powder and smoked paprika. Give it a good whisk. Add honey, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic powder, and ground pepper. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Remove chicken thighs from package, cut off excess skin. Place in 9x13 baking dish.
- Pour half the marinade over the chicken thighs. Cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate minimum 2 hours or overnight. Reserve remaining marinade for mopping the chicken during the grilling process.
- Preheat BBQ and bring up to temperature, 350 degrees. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sear two minutes on both sides over direct heat. Transfer meat to indirect heat. Cook for 10-15 minutes, cover closed.
- While grilling brush each chicken thighs with a generous layer of the reserved marinade. Grill until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Serve and Enjoy!