Deviled Egg Potato Salad: An easy to make, creamy, homemade recipe. Yukon gold potatoes, eggs, mustard, onions and mayonnaise. This is the BEST side dish for your next cookout! Everyone loves this dish!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
Mom's recipe is, without a doubt, the very best Deviled Egg Potato Salad! I've spent years at her side watching and asking questions so I could get it just right.
This is one good potato salad!
This is my favorite potato salad recipe and will be the first thing everyone dishes up when going through the buffet line or looking for snacks in the fridge. Leftovers are dangerous...for your waistline, that is!
Salads are a great side dish for a BBQ or perfect for any family meal. This one is filled with creamy potatoes, tangy mustard, and crunchy onions and herbs. It's just the best!
This is an overview of the main ingredients. For the exact measurements, please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Potatoes - Yukon golds are my favorite! You can certainly use russet potatoes or baby red potatoes. My personal preference is Yukon Gold because they are so creamy.
- hard boiled eggs, mayonnaise and yellow mustard
- sweet yellow onions - you can substitute with a red or white onion or thinly sliced green onions.
- salt and pepper - I use black pepper, but you prefer you can use white pepper.
- optional ingredients; dill pickles, sweet pickles or sweet relish and fresh herbs. Crispy bacon is also a great addition!
This is an overview, for detailed instructions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Scrub the potatoes under warm water.
- Dice into ½ inch pieces.
- Place potatoes in a large pot and fill with water to 1 inch over potatoes. Add a teaspoon of salt, bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender, drain potatoes well.
- Place the eggs in cold water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and cover for 30 minutes. Drain the hot water and peel the eggs, then dice into small pieces or mash. Dice the onions.
- Cool the potatoes and eggs to room temperature and refrigerate.
- When you're ready to prepare it, add the cup mayonnaise to a small bowl, along with the mustard, salt and pepper, mix well. Add the potatoes, diced hard boiled eggs and onions to a large bowl. Add with the deviled eggs mixture and mix together well.
- Adding a sprinkle of paprika to the top of the potato salad makes it extra pretty!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- This is a great 6 quart stainless steel stock pot. It's dishwasher safe and comes in several sizes.
- An egg slicer is the best way to quickly slice and dice eggs, I even use it for slicing strawberries!
There are several types of potatoes that work well for this recipe - I prefer Yukon Gold potatoes, as they are creamy but still firm after boiling. In addition to being delicious, they don't need to be peeled! Red potatoes would be my second choice and russet potatoes my third. (I'm not a fan of peeling potatoes!)
Place eggs in a medium saucepan in a single layer. Fill with water to an inch over the eggs, add a teaspoon of salt. Bring a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and cover for 30 minutes. Perfectly boiled eggs every time!
Actually no, older eggs are easier to peel. If you have a choice purchase your eggs in advance or use up your older ones first, they will peel more easily!
Boil the potatoes until they fork (not knife) tender. The time will depend on the size of the potatoes; whether they are whole or diced etc. Check them often when they are getting close. You don't want the potatoes to be falling apart or mushy.
If you mix mayonnaise with hot potatoes or eggs, you'll end up using nearly twice the amount of salad dressing. It will absorb twice as much of the egg dressing. It's best to plan ahead for this salad.
Absolutely! The salad can be made two days ahead. Give it a good stir and check the seasoning before serving. It may need a little more mayo, salt or pepper. Just taste it first and adjust the seasonings.
I prefer the classic flavor of mayonnaise in this delicious potato salad recipe. If you're a miracle whip fan - by all means try that!
Unfortunately no, you can't freeze potato salad. It's best enjoyed fresh.
What kind of seasoning goes into a great potato salad?
If you're looking to give your homemade potato salad a little extra spice here are some variations for more zip!
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- white wine vinegar
- dill pickles or pickle juice
- sweet pickle relish
- Celery seed or crisp celery for a great crunch!
- fresh herbs
- crunchy celery
- red bell pepper
- A couple dashes of hot sauce (like tabasco sauce) gives is a great tangy flavor.
- mustard - yellow, stone ground or dijon
Things to know
- You could take the time to separate the egg yolks from the egg whites to make the sauce, but why? Use an egg slicer to slice the eggs. It dices them nicely and makes it easy to combine the eggs, mayonnaise and mustard to make a creamy dressing.
- If you're putting this on a buffet, fill a large bowl with ice and place the potato salad right on top of the ice. This will help keep it cool and at temperature for several hours!
- We often make the ingredients - boiling the eggs and potatoes, dicing the onions the day before and then mix everything together the day you're serving it. That way the ingredients are cool and several steps are done in advance.
Because the salad contains mayonnaise and eggs do not let it sit out more than two hours on the counter.
Leftovers must be refrigerated and can be kept four to five days in airtight container.
Here are more of my classic favorites!
- This egg salad recipe is dynamite! It's filled with herbs and pickles, creamy and crunch - it's just so good!
- A couple more of my favorite salads that are super tasty, family favorites are this Caesar Pasta Salad Recipe and this yummy BLT Pasta Salad.
- How about German Potato Salad? YUM!! This recipe looks delicious!
- This recipe for Loaded Macaroni Salad has it all - filled with vegetables, bacon and cheese!
Of all the potato salad recipes, this is my favorite!! It's made with simple ingredients, and pairs with so many dishes.
- It's great with a nice juicy steak, grilled meat, burgers or grilled brats.
- Serve with hot dogs of course! This recipe for air fryer hot dogs is so easy! Or Crescent Roll Hot Dogs - I love these, they are stuffed with cheese.
- It's terrific with BBQ Tri Tip and Hawaiian BBQ Chicken - I love it with this Korean BBQ Chicken Recipe - it's the best combination!
- Oh no, it's raining, and you have to move the party indoors? Learn how to cook frozen hamburger patties in the oven and still enjoy your bbq!!
Deviled Egg Potato Salad Recipe
- 3 lbs. yukon gold potatoes
- 9 large eggs
- 1 sweet yellow onion diced
- 1 - 1 ½ cups mayonnaise
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- optional ingredients - ½ dill pickle minced, ¼ minced herbs - parsley, cilantro, dill, etc. - use your favorite!
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Scrub the potatoes under warm water, dice them into ½ inch pieces.
- Add the potatoes to a large pot and fill with water to 1 inch over potatoes. Add a tablespoon of salt, bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender, drain well.
- Boil the eggs, drain well and peel. Refrigerate the potatoes and hard boiled eggs until they are completely cooled. We often do this the night before.
- Dice the onion into a small dice.
- When you're ready to make the potato salad, Add the mayonnaise to a small bowl, along with the mustard.. Chop the hard boiled eggs and add them to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the potatoes and onions to a large mixing bowl. Top with the creamy mayonnaise dressing and stir everything together well.
- *If you're adding the optional herbs and pickles, finely mince and add to the salad - stir to combine.