Korean BBQ Chicken Recipe – Simple ingredients combine for a terrific marinade and barbecue sauce! Taking the time to brine the chicken makes it flavorful, juicy and tender! Everyone loves this recipe!
Korean BBQ Chicken Recipe
I have a confession
We’ve been enjoying this Korean BBQ Chicken Recipe for the last six weeks. It’s time for me to quit being stingy with the recipe and pass it along to you! 😀
I kept telling myself I was trying to get it just right….when in reality I’ve barely tweaked the recipe each time I’ve made it. It’s just that good!
You know what’s even better? This is another recipe that you may just have everything you need on hand – love that!
Simple ingredients combine for a terrific marinade and barbecue sauce. A
Korean BBQ Chicken
How to make Korean BBQ Chicken
Ok, let’s get back to the marinade – soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil
You’ll put that together, then pour it over the chicken to marinade. While it’s getting all happy together, put the rest of the marinade into a
Grocery list for kabobs
- chicken breasts
- red pepper
- red onion
- soy sauce
- brown sugar
- sesame oil
- rice wine vinegar
What does Korean BBQ consist of?
Korean BBQ is grilled meat; beef, pork or chicken and a flavorful marinade.
What do you eat with Korean BBQ?
Some of my favorite side dishes to serve with this meal are:
- Corn on the Cob – always a favorite side dish!
- Deviled Egg Potato Salad – Mom’s recipes and this is the BEST
- A great tossed salad – this Steakhouse Salad has
bigflavor or this easy Garden Salad, YUM! Either will compliment this meal perfectly!
Traditional side dishes would be a spicy kimchi or a delicious coleslaw.
Korean BBQ Chicken Marinade
Steps to make marinade
- Cut the chicken into chunks.
- Grate the pear and onion with a box grater. Place them in a bowl.
- Add the soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil
andrice wine vinegar. Mix all of the ingredients together well.
- Reserve 1 cup, add the chicken to the marinade. Cover & refrigerate the chicken for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Take the remaining marinade and put into a small pan over medium heat on the stove. Bring to a low boil, reduce the heat simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Then mix a slurry together with the cornstarch & water. Pour it into the barbecue sauce and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Core and seed the bell pepper. Cut it into chunks.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade (discard marinade) and skewer it onto the kabob alternating with the bell pepper. Grill the chicken, basting with the barbecue sauce.
Korean BBQ Sauce Chicken
See those dark crunchy bits on that kabob – that’s big flavor, it will caramelize as it cooks. It is sweet and spicy, making the chicken tender and full of deliciousness!
It is so good, our leftovers, magically disappeared in the middle of the night. My husband said we were robbed. Then he said blamed it on the dogs, but I reminded him they were too short to open the fridge. 😆
I’m a big fan of Korean food, I just love all of that flavor! Here are more of my favorite recipes!
- Korean BBQ Beef Bowl
- Korean BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Instant Pot Korean Meatballs
- Korean Black Bean Noodles; Jjajangmyeon
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- That cactus kabob holder is pretty cool, huh? Here’s the link to purchase one! Cactus Kabob Holder
If you post a photo, please tag me! I’d love to see your pictures! You can tag me with #bowlmeover or if you’re on Instagram use @bowl_me_over I can’t wait to see how yummy this turned out for you!
I would love it if you gave this recipe 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars!!
Korean Barbecued Chicken Kabobs
- 2-3 inch chicken breasts cut into 2 cubes
- 1 red pepper diced into large chunks
- 1 pear grated (I used a Bosc pear)
- ¼ cup grated red onion
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger grated
- 1 cup soy sauce
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- *Barbecue Sauce*
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoons cold water
- Cut the chicken into 2 inch chunks and place into a ziplock bag or glass bowl.
- *Using a box grater, grate the pear & onion, place in a plastic bag or medium-sized bowl. Add the soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and rice wine vinegar.
- Mix all of the ingredients together well and pour all but 1 cup of the ingredients over the chicken. Cover & refrigerate the chicken for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Take the remaining marinade and put it into a small pan over medium heat on the stove. Bring to a bubble – keep an eye on it though as there is a lot of sugar in it and you do not want it to burn.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes. Then mix a slurry together with the cornstarch & water. Pour it into the barbecue sauce and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Core and seed the bell pepper. Cut it into chunks.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and make the kabobs, alternating chicken with bell peppers. Discard the remaining marinade.
- All you need to do now is grill – baste with the barbecue sauce and cook until the chicken is cooked thru 180 degrees. Enjoy!
- I used a micro-plane grater for the garlic & ginger, though I’m sure you could use the box grater for this also.