Easy Mexican Coleslaw Recipe - Spicy coleslaw with a tasty twist, you'll love this easy salad! It's the perfect tasty side dish or
Love this salad? Be sure to try my Mom's recipe for Deviled Egg Potato Salad next - hands down the BEST!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
It's crisp and crunchy and a nice change from the traditional recipe. No heavy coleslaw dressing, this recipe has a mayo-free salad dressing that makes it perfect for cookouts and bbq's and summer picnics. It's one of the best side dishes for a hot summer's day.
Hey friends I'm so glad you're here! It's time for another fun Freaky Friday Blog Hop! and I'm excited to share this yummy coleslaw recipe. My Greek Cole Slaw Recipe was such a hit, I know you'll like this one too!
This time I was assigned Lisa's blog from Lisa's Dinnertime Dish and as always, it was hard to pick a favorite!
Should I share Lisa's Black Bean Corn Salad, her bright and delicious Chicken Caprese Salad? Boy those look good! Then I got to checking out this recipe for Thai Peanut Salad with Chicken Skewers - delicious!
It was so hard to choose! So if I didn't choose the recipe you're looking for, be sure to swing by her blog and do some browsing. Lisa has wonderful recipes that aren't complicated. Really great delicious food - you can learn more about her blog here.
You're really going to love this great recipe. It all comes together with a light delicious mayo-free slaw recipe! Here are the ingredients you'll need for this recipe. You'll find the exact measurements below on the recipe card.
- packaged cabbage slaw or shredded green cabbage
- black beans - make your own with this copycat Chipotle Black Bean Recipe!
- fresh cilantro
- red onion
- rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- olive oil
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Rinse and drain the black beans
- Seed and dice the tomato
- Mince the onion, cilantro
- Add the slaw mix and above ingredients to a large bowl. If you're using a whole head, cut cabbage or shred it as finely as possible.
- Whisk together ingredients for salad dressing in a small bowl
- Pour dressing over ingredients and toss gently to combine
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to develop
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- These mixing bowls - I have two sets and use them daily!
- I have two sets of measuring spoons. I like these because they fit in the spice jars.
- Every cook needs a good knife - this is the one I use. Be sure to keep it sharp!
Absolutely, this is a great make-ahead side dish! This keeps in the fridge 2-3 three days and keeps getting better!
You bet! You know I'm just lazy right? Pre-sliced cabbage just eliminates a step.
If you're looking to mix it up a bit - add some fresh corn, just slice it off the cob and toss it in. Chunks of creamy avocado? Another great addition! Want to add even more crunch? Add some toasted pepitas! You will love this mayo-free slaw!
This is a great mayo free coleslaw recipe. Keeping it bright and fresh and not weighed down with heavy sauce.
- Watch for the date when you pick up the coleslaw mix, make sure it's fresh!
- If you're shredding the cabbage, you'll make the coleslaw better by adding shredded carrots and shredded red cabbage.
This slaw is terrific used as a topping on fish or chicken tacos for Taco Tuesday, it's really the BEST salad!
Added thinly sliced green onions to add a light oniony flavor. Red bell pepper would be a pretty and tasty edition as well!
Serve Mexican cole slaw with barbecue, it's delicious! Some of my favorite meal pairings are:
- Barbecued Pork Ribs - fall off the bone, tender and delicious!
- Korean BBQ Chicken Recipe - loads of big flavor, combine perfectly!
- Fish Tacos - top off the tacos with this salad, YUM!!
- Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs - what a great meal!!
I'm a big fan of easy delicious side and salad - here are more from the blog I think you should try soon!
- Mexican Fruit Salad - this is another mayo-free, light delicious salad - perfect for cookouts and pool parties!
- This yummy Watermelon Quinoa Salad has great crunch, it's sweet and salty - super yummy!
- Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad is a great side salad or a great light lunch!
Mexican Coleslaw Recipe
- 14 ounce coleslaw mix
- 15 ounce black beans 1 can - well rinsed and drained
- 1 tomato seeded and diced
- 1 red onion small - minced
- 1 jalapenos seeded and minced
- ½ cup cilantro minced
- Salad Dressing
- ½ cup lime juice you'll need 3-4 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Rinse the black beans and drain well.
- Seed and dice the tomato, mince the onion, cilantro and jalapeños. Add the slaw mix and all of the ivegetables and black beans to a large bowl.
- Whisk together ingredients for the salad dressing and pour over the slaw, tossing gently to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
- Serve and enjoy!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
Originally published July 18, 2019 - Updated May 20, 2021