Instant Pot Barbecue Pork Ribs Recipe - use your pressure cooker to make moist and delicious, fall-apart tender ribs! Slather with homemade bbq sauce for sticky delicious goodness! These ribs are finger-licking good and take minutes to make instead of hours!
Instant Pot Ribs are finished on grill or under the broiler to ensure they are perfect every time!
If you don't have an electric pressure cooker, you can still make super tender ribs , skip over to this recipe for instructions that don't require using an Instant Pot.
Why you'll love this recipe
If these Instant Pot barbecued pork ribs don't have your stomach growling and your mouth salivating then I'm here to tell you I just ain't doing my job! 😀
If you are frustrated because your ribs turn out tough and chewy, this is the recipe for you. It's easy, just use your Instant Pot and follow these guidelines.
Tasty, tangy these are the BEST ribs that are moist and delicious are now possible in minutes instead of hours!
Let me take you thru the step-by-step directions to make bbq'd ribs in a pressure cooker.
You only need a handful of simple ingredients to make this dish!
- slab of pork ribs
- Dry Rub - store bought or use the recipe from the blog.
- apple, cranberry or peach juice, ginger ale will also work!
- barbeque sauce - homemade or store-bought, your choice!
How to make bbq pork ribs in the Instant Pot
- Ribs prep time - Start by removing the silver skin on the back of the ribs it might take you a bit, but grasp under the skin and slowly peel it away. Taking the time to remove the skin will make the ribs much more tender. Be patient and remove as much as possible. This is an optional step but not only will it make it more tender, the rub and sauce will be able to penetrate the meat making it more flavorful.
- Season both sides of the meat with a simple dry rub. Be sure to season the pork well. Flip the ribs over and season both sides rubbing the dry rub into the meat,
- Next roll up the slab of ribs - jellyroll fashion. Wrap it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes - longer is even better.
- When you're ready to cook the ribs, add one cup of juice to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Place the rolled up ribs on the into the IP and top it with a half cup of your favorite BBQ Sauce. Secure the lid of the Instant Pot, close the valve and set in on manual for 25 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, do a quick pressure release. Preheat the broiler or grill.
- Carefully remove ribs from the Instant Pot. Slather them with your favorite barbecue sauce and place them on a hot grill or under the broiler.
- BBQ for five minutes on each side or until the sauce is seared and delicious!
For this recipe it takes 25 minutes in the pressure cooker and the ribs are then finished on grill - start to finish about 45 minutes. (This includes time for the pressure cooker to come to temp.)
Rolled up jelly-roll style, one full rack of ribs easily fits in a six quarter pressure cooker.
Yes! The intense heat of the Instant Pot cooks the meat quickly and tenderizes it.
Quick release the valve when the timer goes off.
At the market you'll have a choice of baby back ribs or spare ribs. For this recipe I used baby back ribs.
- Baby back ribs are the smallest and much more tender.
- Spare ribs are meatier, and fattier.
Always remove the silver skin on the back of the ribs. The ribs will be much more tender! If your hands become too slippery, use a paper towel to graph the fatty skin.
Serve additional bbq sauce on the side for dipping!
Be sure to place plastic or parchment paper under the ribs before seasoning. Sprinkling the seasoning can cause quite a mess and this will make cleanup a snap!Deb Clark
Are you wondering what to serving with the Instant Pot Barbecue Pork Ribs? Some of my favorite sides to serve with ribs are:
- Corn on the cob - only two minutes to make!
- Of course Mom's potato salad recipe. Just the BEST!!
- And Crock Pot Baked Beans - this recipe is fantastic and leftovers freeze great as well.
You'll find all the easy recipes for the pressure cooker here!
Instant Pot Barbecue Pork Ribs
- 1 slab pork ribs
- 6 tablespoon Chef's Blend Spice Mix
- 1 cup apple juice or cranberry peach juice I've used both, use your favorite!
- 1 ½ cups barbecue sauce use your favorite!
- Remove the silver skin on the back of the ribs it might take you a bit, but grasp under the skin and slowly peel it away. Taking the time to remove the skin will make the ribs much more tender
- Season both sides of the meat with a flavorful dry rub. Flip the ribs over and season both sides rubbing the dry rub into the meat.
- Roll up the slab of ribs - jellyroll fashion. Wrap well in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes - longer is better you can even do it overnight.
- Add one cup of juice to the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place the rolled up ribs on the into the IP and top it with a half cup of your favorite BBQ Sauce. Secure the lid of the Instant Pot, close the valve and set in on manual high pressure. Set the cooking time to 25 minutes.
- When the timer goes off quick release the ribs. Preheat the broiler or grill.
- Remove the ribs from the Instant Pot and place on a baking sheet. Slather them with your favorite barbecue sauce and place them on a hot grill. BBQ for five minutes on each side or until the sauce is seared and delicious!
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
First Published: March 20, 2018 Last Updated: May 6, 2021