A big beefy Instant Pot Chili Recipe that is easy to make and super flavorful! Chili Con Carne is filled with spoon tender beef, warm chili spices and braised in stock and beer. It has excellent flavor and is easy to make in your pressure cooker!
If you love this meal, be sure and try Homemade Chili Recipe next - it's so good!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ The ingredients are simple - you probably already them on hand!
✔️ This dish is amazing comfort food, it’s perfect for cool days.
✔️A set-and-forget recipe. The pressure cooker does all the heavy lifting with only 15 minutes of prep time!
For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- chuck roast
- beef broth
- canned tomatoes
- crushed tomatoes
- spice mix - chili powder, dry mustard, cumin, smoked paprika, cocoa powder, cornmeal, salt
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Mix all of the spices together and set aside
- Remove excess fat from the meat, then cube the roast, put in a ziplock bag, add a tablespoon of oil.
- Add the spice mix, massaging it into the beef.
- Dice the onion, mince the jalapeños and garlic.
- Set the pressure cooker on sauté, add oil and sauté the beef browning on all sides. Remove when browned and set aside.
- Next sauté the diced onions and jalapeños until soft.
- Add the garlic and sauté another minute. Turn the pressure cooker off.
- Pour in the beer and with a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir well to combine.
- Seal the pressure cooker, set on high pressure, the timer to 30 minutes and valve to seal.
- Natural pressure release at the end.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The flavor comes from all the chilis. Though it may seem like there's a lot of hot spice, the spices in this chili are warm, aromatic, and flavorful.
Chili con Carne means chili with meat. No beans, but beef braised in warm chili spices, tomatoes, and beer.
No, not really. It's got a lovely mild spice level but nothing so severe that you'll be needing to rush for a glass of water or milk!
There are many variations of chili - meaty chili, vegetarian chili, and those most well known that include beans. Chili con carne has meat as the star of the show, NOT beans.
Browning the meat first is really important to get that extra savory flavor throughout the dish and improves the texture of the meat.
- Always use a high quality beef for best flavor and results.
- I haven’t specified what type of onion to use but either white or yellow would be great!
- Using cocoa or even dark chocolate adds a beautiful depth of flavor to this dish.
- While I’ve added beer to this recipe as part of the cooking liquid, you could use red wine instead if you don’t enjoy beer - it adds richness and a touch of luxury to this comfort food.
- Love spicy heat? Consider increasing the chili powder or add in hot sauce, cayenne pepper or other favorite ingredients that you know will give you that extra kick of spice and heat.
- While the focus on any traditional chili con carne is the meat, you can also use canned - black beans, pinto beans, red kidney beans, cannellini beans, and even lentils are all excellent options and will add bulk to the meal.
- Lean ground beef or ground turkey is another popular choice for making chili con carne. Make sure to brown it first like just like the chuck roast.
Refrigerate - Leftover chili con carne can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Freezer - Thaw overnight in the refrigerator
Reheat - on medium-low heat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
If you LOVE chili as I do then you’ll definitely want to add these recipes to your meal rotations:
- Tailgate Chili - the perfect chili for football season that isn’t too hot for the kids.
- Velveeta Chili Mac and Cheese - A mouth-watering marriage of the ultimate comfort foods … Chili and Mac and Cheese!
- White Bean Turkey Chili - Ditch the beef and use up your leftover holiday turkey.
- Smokey Chipotle Chili - The depth of flavor in this Chipotle is just incredible!
Toppings for chili con carne
- a dollop of sour cream
- thinly sliced green onions
- diced red onions or white onions
- chopped tomatoes
- sweet corn
What's your favorite topping?
It doesn't have to be complicated, a handful of tortilla chips is just about perfect! If you want something more substantial, check out these recipes.
- Southwest Salad Recipe - Loads of crunch and an easy side that pairs perfectly with this chili!
- Easy Skillet Cornbread - We love this recipe and I make it all of the time!
- Vegetable Tacos - What better way to keep your side dish within the Tex-Mex cuisine for this meal than by pairing your chili con carne with veggie tacos?!
- Baked Potatoes - These fluffy baked potatoes are a scrumptious side dish for any chili dish.
- Cheesy Pizza Hut Breadsticks - These breadsticks can be enjoyed with almost anything. Picture dipping these cheesy breadsticks into your chili con carne - a great way to soak up any remaining drops in your bowl!
- You can wash it all down with a Paloma Cocktail Recipe with Blood Oranges
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Instant Pot Chili Recipe
- 3-4 lb. beef chuck roast
- 1 onion diced
- 1 jalapeños diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 14.5 beef broth
- 1 14.5 canned tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 1 12 oz. beer recommend a lager
- spice mix
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon corn meal
- 2 teaspoon salt
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Prepare the spice mix, mix everything together and set aside
- Remove any excess fat from the meat, then cube the roast. Place in a large ziplock bag, top with a tablespoon olive oil, then sprinkle the spice mix over the meat, massaging it in well.
- Peel and dice the onion. Slice the jalapenos in half, removing ribs and seeds if desired, mince. Mince the garlic.
- Set the pressure cooker to saute, add 2 tablespoon oil and saute the beef in a couple of batches, browning on each side, about 3 minutes per side. Remove all the meat when browned and set aside.
- If necessary, add additional oil to the pressure cooker and saute the diced onions and jalapenos until soft, about five minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute another minute. Turn the pressure cooker to off. Pour in the beer and with a wooden spoon, scrape everything off the bottom of the pressure cooker, removing all the browned bits.
- Now add the remaining ingredients - beef broth, canned tomatoes and pureed tomatoes. Stir well to combine.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker, set on manual (high) pressure and set timer to 30 minutes. Set valve to seal.
- When the timer goes off allow to natural pressure release. Stir well, serve and enjoy!