Don’t be afraid of the spices here. It’s warm spice rather than hot & spicy! The cocoa powder gives it an added dimension of flavor and it’s a delicious hearty chili. Enjoy!
Love a great bowl of chili? Here are more recipes of my favorites!
- White Bean Turkey Chili
- Green Chili Chicken Posole Recipe
- Butternut Squash Chili
- Tailgate Chili
- 30 Minute Chili Mac and Cheese
Smokey Chipotle Chili
I love all types of chili and this Smokey Chipotle Chili is a favorite (all chili is a favorite for me right?) Love the new flavors this introduces, I bet you will too!
- 1 lb . ground beef
- 6 oz . chorizo
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 chipotle pepper with juice minced
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 4 15 15 oz cans beans; mix it up and use your favorites - kidney black beans, pinto and chili, etc. - do not drain
- Spices - mix all spices together a in small bowl set aside
- 1 tablespoon dry yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, & the onions. Saute the onions until soft, stirring occasionally about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic, saute about 30 seconds until it just becomes fragrant. Add the ground beef, chorizo & chipotle pepper and saute until the meat is browned.
- Add the spices to the meat mixture and toast the spices for two minutes, stirring them frequently. Toasting the spices will enhance their flavor.
- Add the tomatoes and the beans and bring the pot to a boil, reduce to low, cover and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.