Whether you use your Instant Pot or stove top this Butternut Squash Chili is sure to please! It is filled with big, warm spices. The cumin, chili powder and dry mustard add big flavor – not hot – but warm and bold. Loads of butternut squash, turkey and beans balance out the spices. Brown sugar gives it just the right amount of sweetness!
I have been working hard on Instant Pot Recipes for the website. Some recipes are starting from scratch, some recipes, like this one for chili with butternut squash is a recipe that has been on the blog for a while but needed an update.
The Instant Pot is the perfect way to update this recipe!
When I say I’ve been working hard, I mean I’ve have been making the recipes several times. IP (Instant Pot) cooking is fairly new to me and may be new to you also – like Goldilocks I want to make sure I get it just right! 💁♀️
My Mom is a recent convert to Instant Pot cooking also. I’ve been sending my recipes to her to try before sharing them with you. My folks have certainly enjoyed their Instant Pot cooking!
Dad is the other camera nut in the family (I come about it honestly, I swear!) and he posted this picture on Facebook the other day. He actually got in a debate with another asking WHY there were beans in this chili? And WHAT are you doing with all that cheese? (that isn’t cheese, it is squash!)
Butternut squash in chili? Sure, why not! People feel pretty strong about their chili so I’m calling this a healthier version of chili. Here’s what you’ll need.
Butternut Squash Chili – grocery list
- turkey meat
- black beans or kidney beans
- butternut squash
- canned tomatoes
I would be amiss not to mention if you’re looking for a great side dish to serve with this chili, my skillet cornbread…. now there’s a great choice! It’s super easy to make and a cast iron skillet makes for a great crust all over the chili!
Now when it comes to this chili, whether you make it in the Instant Pot or on the stove top, this is a great chili and a delicious meal.
Butternut Squash Chili – directions
- Start by sautéing the turkey meat in the Instant Pot
- Add the diced vegetables
- Season with the spices
- Add the tomatoes and beans
- Seal and let the Instant Pot do the work for you!
See how easy it is to make?
More great chili recipes!
- White Bean Turkey Chili
- Green Chili Chicken Posole Recipe
- Smokey Chipotle Chili
- Tailgate Chili
- 30 Minute Chili Mac and Cheese
Do you love this recipe? Be sure to give it a five star rating below!
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Chili is filled with big, warm spices – cumin, chili powder and dry mustard it gives a pow of bold flavor. Loads of butternut squash, turkey and beans balance out the spices. A hint of brown sugar gives it just the right amount of sweetness!
Butternut Squash Chili
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 4 cups butternut squash
- 1 bell pepper diced, I used red bell pepper
- 1 sweet yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 14 oz can black beans* undrained - I've used both black beans & kidney beans.
- 1 28 oz. can peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon to 1 salt to taste at the end of cooking
- Instant Pot Directions - Turn the IP to saute, when hot add the ground turkey and brown.
- While it is cooking dice the onion, bell pepper. Peel and dice the squash.
- When the meat is browned, add the onion, bell pepper & squash to the stock pot. Also add the spices - cumin, chili powder, yellow mustard & black pepper.
- Sauté for about five minutes until the vegetables begin to soften. Mince the garlic and add it to the pot, sauté for another minute.
- Next Add the black beans, canned tomatoes and brown sugar. Stir well to combine.
- Change setting to chili/beans. Add the lid and seal. Set timing to 15 minutes
- Quick release when done. Stir and serve
- Stove Top Directions - In a large stock pot over medium heat, brown the ground turkey. While it is cooking dice the onion, bell pepper & squash.
- When the meat is browned, pour off any excess fat - then add the onion, bell pepper & squash to the stock pot. Also add the spices - cumin, chili powder, ground mustard & black pepper. Sauté for about five minutes until the vegetables begin to soften. Mince the garlic and add it to the pot, sauté for another minute.
- Next Add the beans, canned tomatoes and brown sugar. Stir well to combine, reduce heat to low and simmer covered for about 45 minutes - stirring occasionally.
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
If you love chili as much as I do, be sure to check out these recipes!
Tailgate chili is an easy meal and a great hearty bite to enjoy during tailgate season or on the weekend. This is a delicious bowl of chili that’s easy to make and delicious to enjoy!
Here’s a delicious Midwestern Style Chili from Restless Chipotle – full of ground beef, beans, and macaroni in a rich flavorful broth this is a satisfying bowl of chili!
Scoop up a big serving of white bean turkey chili. It is hearty, flavorful and filling! Great on a cold winter’s night and feeds a crowd.