White Bean Turkey Chili Recipe - Filling and easy to make this naturally creamy chili is a must for soup season! It's a hearty, delicious version of your traditional chili. Packed with turkey, white beans and warm spices it's an easy meal that comes together quickly and tastes even better on day two!
Love this meal? Be sure and try my Homemade Chili Recipe next!
White Bean Turkey Chili
Earlier this week on Instagram I shared a couple of stories of Dan and I traipsing the neighborhood enjoying all of the holiday lights!
The air has been cool and crisp and we were both bundled up. Dan had his sock hat on, me with my earmuffs and mittens. It was a bone-chilling 51 degrees!
Yes, I embarrassingly admit that! I've lived in the valley long enough to acclimate to the weather!
BUT, whether you live in Cali or Green Bay, WI - right now is the perfect time for chili. Whether it's to switch up the flavors of heavy, rich holiday food or warm your soul, the timing is perfect.
I have been making this chili for years. I developed it when I lived in the Midwest, hot soups, stews and chilis were a must.
Turkey and White Bean Chili Ingredients
Unlike the standard red chili, this features white beans, green chilies and yellow tomatoes.
This chili uses a combination of flavorful spices to give you a refreshing taste on an old favorite. It's not spicy hot 🔥, but spicy flavorful! This chili is delicious and I know it's going to be hard to stop with just one bowl!
Ingredients for Chili Recipe
- ground turkey - you can substitute with ground chicken.
- onion, yellow and green bell peppers, garlic, yellow grape tomatoes - loads of fresh vegetables go into this meal.
- canned white beans - you can use cannellini or white beans.
- canned green chilis - adds great flavor and spice.
- chicken stock - use low sodium stock.
- cumin, dry mustard, salt, black pepper - delicious spices perfectly flavor this chili.
- olive oil - to sauté the vegetables
Chili is the perfect go-to food. When the chili is done, immediately freeze a quart for busy days when you don't have the time or energy to cook. This chili freezes GREAT!Deb Clark
What type of beans do you use in white bean chili?
You can use Great Northern Beans or Cannellini Beans, both will taste great! Cannellini beans are a little softer and creamier. Great Northern are more firm, so they will hold their shape a better. Both beans are great so it's more about what you have on hand.
Can you use canned beans?
Absolutely! It's a great shortcut and cuts the cooking time down by hours!
Optional Toppings for White Bean Turkey Chili Recipe
Dan enjoys his chili plain, I load mine up with all the fixings! Here are some of my favorites
- fresh sliced or canned jalapenos - to add a spicy flavor. Remove the seeds to cool the heat.
- sour cream and chunks of avocado - are a cool creamy topping.
- sliced radishes and minced cabbage - adds great crunch!
- cilantro - minced cilantro will add freshness to the soup.
- corn chips or tortilla chips - for crunch and texture.
- shredded Monterey Jack, Colby or cheddar cheese - use your favorite!
Steps to make Turkey Chili Recipe
- Peel and chop all of the vegetables
- Place a large stockpot over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil the ground turkey. When browned, drain the fat, remove from the pan, set aside.
- Next, sauté the vegetables until they are browned and tender.
- Add the browned turkey back into the stockpot, add the minced garlic and sliced tomatoes and sauté for another couple minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, reduce to low and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.
What to serve with chili
More great Turkey Soups, Stews, Chilis and Chowder Recipes to enjoy!
You know soup is my jam, right? Well if you want all of my soup-making tips and tricks, be sure to click here!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant a variety of affiliate programs, including in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
If you’re like me, you’re freezing a quart of soup or stew right? Click here for the plastic containers I use, they are inexpensive, freeze well and easy to clean!
When you make this please comment below and let me know what you think! I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover - so I can see your photos!
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
White Bean Turkey Chili Recipe
White Bean Turkey Chili
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeds removed, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper seeds removed, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pint yellow grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 3 14 oz can white beans drained and rinsed
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chilis
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Peel and chop the onion, mince the garlic. Slice the tomatoes in half. Dice the green and yellow peppers.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and brown the ground turkey. When browned, remove from the heat and drain the fat. Set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pot. Add the onion, yellow and green pepper and all of the spices. Sauté for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are browned and tender.
- Next put the browned turkey back into the stockpot. At this time also add the minced garlic and sliced tomatoes and saute for another two to three minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients; green chilies, beans and chicken stock. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, reduce to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, enjoy!