Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup is a healthy, fresh soup bursting with bright lemony flavor! A cozy soup filled with delicious vegetables, tender orzo pasta and hearty chunks of chicken. Greek Lemon Chicken Soup is pure comfort food and ready in less than 30 minutes!
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
I’m serving up another amazing soup today! Dan and I have been devouring this soup for the last week! If you love chicken noodle soup, then you’ll really love the Italian version – Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup!
A light lemony broth, with veggies, tender chicken and orzo pasta, mmmm!
I was talking to my Mom about carbs and pasta. Specifically, the best way to enjoy them in your diet without overdoing it. Many of our family members are diabetic, so carbs are always a concern. Mom was saying when she makes spaghetti, she only uses about a nickel’s worth of dry pasta (unlike me who pours the whole box in) for just the two of us….
So along these lines, when I was working on this recipe, I’ve made it more times than I can count. The first time I made it I made a HUGE batch and (wrote the recipe accordingly) using 3 quarts of chicken stock and well….since it’s just Dan and I, we ate this for days.
Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
The second time I made this I used less chicken stock but did not adequately reduce the amount of pasta! I ended up with a lemony orzo chicken casserole rather than soup, which though quite delicious, was not what I was going for either…
Just like Goldilocks and The Three Bears, the third time was just right!
I reduced the orzo to 1/3 of a cup (seriously down from the full cup I started with.) Resulting in a creamy, lemony, light soup filled with the perfect amount of pasta!
This is a satisfying meal to serve for an easy lunch and paired with a salad, a delicious dinner! I know you’re going to love it!
Grocery List for Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- leftover cooked chicken
- onion, celery, carrots and garlic
- orzo pasta
- chicken stock
- half and half or heavy cream (I’ve even used sour cream in a pinch)
- parmesan cheese
- one lemon
Tips to make Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
- Homemade Chicken Stock will make this soup taste even better!
- Stirring the orzo while it’s cooking will keep the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pan. It will also release starch and help thicken the stew.
- Wash the lemon well before zesting.
- Avoid overcooking the pasta as it will get mushy.
Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe
I love this meal because most of the time I make it, I’m utilizing leftovers! It only takes a bit of chicken, white meat or dark meat, either will work. It’s a quick meal but it doesn’t compromise on flavor.
Steps to make Greek Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- peel and dice the carrots and onion
- sauté the vegetables
- add the stock and lemon juice, bring to a boil
- add the pasta and boil until al dente
- remove from heat, stir in the diced cooked chicken and cream.
More Chicken Soup Recipes to try and love!
- 30 Minute Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Chicken and Dumpling Soup Recipe
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- The MOST AMAZING Chicken Soup Instant Pot Recipe
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup
You’ll have some leftover orzo after making this soup and here are some delicious recipes to make and enjoy to use up those leftovers!
Try this cozy warm delicious soup and love it? Me too! Be sure and leave a five star rating below! Also if you’re over on Instagram, be sure and snap a photo! 📸 tag me @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover so I can see your bowl filled with delicious!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant a variety of affiliate programs, including in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
I love these Fiestaware Bowls and have been picking one up every now and then when I place an Amazon order!
Lemon Orzo Chicken Soup
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup is a healthy, fresh soup bursting with bright lemony flavor! It is full of vegetables, tender orzo pasta and hearty chunks of chicken. This is pure comfort food that is easy to make and everyone will want seconds!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup orzo pasta
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
In a large stockpot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery - season with salt, pepper (red & black) and add the bay leaf. Sauté until just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute. Add the lemon juice, zest, chicken stock. Bring to a boil & add the orzo.
Cook uncovered, stirring often - this will release the starch in the soup and help thicken it. It will also keep the orzo from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook until the orzo is just al dente - depending on the brand 6-9 minutes.
Remove from heat and add the chicken, parmesan cheese and cream. Heat thru.
Remove the bay leaf & adjust seasonings if necessary (may need a bit more salt & pepper). It's ready to serve!
* If you like a really thick stew rather than soup, increase the amount of pasta to 1/2 cup.