Creamy Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup is a healthy, fresh soup bursting with bright lemony flavor! A cozy soup filled with delicious vegetables, tender orzo pasta and hearty chunks of chicken, Greek Lemon Chicken Soup is pure comfort food and ready in less than 30 minutes!
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
I'm serving up another amazing soup today! Dan and I have been devouring this soup for the last week! If you love chicken noodle soup, then you'll really love the Italian version - Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup!
A light lemony broth, with veggies, tender chicken and orzo pasta, mmmm!
I was talking to my Mom about carbs and pasta. Specifically, the best way to enjoy them in your diet without overdoing it. Many of our family members are diabetic, so carbs are always a concern.
Mom was saying when she makes spaghetti, she only uses about a nickel's worth of dry pasta (unlike me who pours the whole box in) for just the two of us....
So along these lines, when I was working on this recipe, I've made it more times than I can count. The first time I made it I made a HUGE batch and (wrote the recipe accordingly) using 3 quarts of chicken stock and well....since it's just Dan and
Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
The second time I made this I used less chicken stock but did not adequately reduce the amount of pasta! I ended up with a lemony orzo chicken casserole rather than soup, which though quite delicious, was not what I was going for either...
Just like Goldilocks and The Three Bears, the third time was just right!
I reduced the orzo to ⅓ of a cup (seriously down from the full cup I started with). Resulting in a creamy, lemony, light soup filled with the perfect amount of pasta!
This is a satisfying meal to serve for an easy lunch. Paired with a salad, it's a delicious dinner! I know you're going to love it!
Grocery List for Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- leftover cooked chicken - using cooked chicken keeps the cooking time to a minimum.
- onion, celery, carrots
andgarlic - all of the aromatics, making this soup taste like it's cooked all day long.
- orzo pasta - small pasta that actually looks like rice, but it's pasta!
- chicken stock - for flavor
- half and
halfor heavy cream - I've even used sour cream in a pinch
- parmesan cheese - for salty flavor and cheesy goodness.
- one lemon - to give this soup just the right amount of tang.
Tips to make Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
- Homemade Chicken Stock will make this soup taste even better!
- Stirring the orzo while it's cooking will keep the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pan. It will also release starch and help thicken the stew.
- Wash the lemon well before zesting.
- Avoid overcooking the pasta as it will get mushy.
Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe
I love this meal because most of the time I make it, I'm utilizing leftovers! It only takes a bit of chicken - white meat or dark meat, either will work. It's a quick meal but it doesn't compromise on flavor.
Steps to make Greek Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- peel and dice the carrots and onion.
- sauté the vegetables.
- add the stock and lemon juice, bring to a boil.
- add the pasta and boil until al dente.
- remove from heat, stir in the diced cooked chicken and cream.
More Chicken Soup Recipes to try and love!
If you have some leftover orzo after making this soup this Lemon and Spinach Orzo salad recipe is super yummy!
When you make this please comment below and let me know what you think! I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @bowl_me_over or #bowlmeover - so I can see your photos!
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
Creamy Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Lemon Orzo Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cups shredded cooked chicken
- ⅓ cup orzo pasta
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest and juice of ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large stockpot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery - season with salt, pepper (red & black) and add the bay leaf. Sauté until just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute. Add the lemon juice, zest, chicken stock. Bring to a boil & add the orzo.
- Cook uncovered, stirring often - this will release the starch in the soup and help thicken it. It will also keep the orzo from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook until the orzo is just al dente - depending on the brand 6-9 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the chicken, parmesan cheese and cream. Heat thru.
- Remove the bay leaf & adjust seasonings if necessary (may need a bit more salt & pepper). It's ready to serve!