Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe with all the flavor of a slowly simmered meal but only takes 30 minutes to make! It's made on the stove top. The soup is delicious and savory, filled with tender chicken, vegetables, and deep rich broth - hearty and satisfying!
If you love cheesy stuffed pasta, be sure to try Philly Cheesesteak Baked Tortellini Recipe next!
Why you'll love this recipe
✔️ It's ready in a snap, it only takes 30 minutes!
✔️ Packed with vegetables it's delicious!
✔️ Using pantry and refrigerator ingredients it's quick and easy to make!
✔️ It makes a large pot of delicious soup and it's a meal your whole family will enjoy.
I love that it's full of veggies and though it's light, it's still hearty and satisfying!
You'll use everyday ingredients you can find at your local grocery store. For the exact measurements, please refer to the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- yellow onion, carrots, celery, garlic, fresh baby spinach - this soup is loaded with fresh veggies.
- dry tortellini - I used cheesy tortellini, but you can certainly use your favorite. You can use frozen tortellini, but you'll probably need to adjust the cooking time.
- chicken broth and a splash of wine - using stock gives this soup slow-cooked flavor and the wine helps deglaze the pan.
- rotisserie chicken or cooked turkey - leftover chicken, shredded chicken, I like boneless skinless chicken breasts, use what you'd prefer. If you have raw chicken, just cook it first.
- salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and fresh herbs - basil, parsley and/or thyme to add tons of flavor. In a pinch? Substitute the fresh herbs with ½ teaspoon dry Italian seasoning.
- lemon - lemon juice is optional but just a squeeze of lemon adds acidity and brightens the flavors.
- olive oil - to stir fry the vegetables.
This is an overview of the instructions. For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
- Start by dicing the onion, carrot, and celery - mince the garlic.
- Shred the cooked chicken, give the spinach a rough chop, and mince the fresh herbs.
- Heat a heavy bottom soup pot over medium heat. When hot, add olive oil, then the onions and carrots. Sauté stirring occasionally, then add the celery.
- When the veggies are lightly browned add the minced garlic and give it a good stir. It will only take about 30 seconds and you'll begin to smell the garlic. Deglaze the pan with a splash of wine, scraping all of the lovely bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Increase the heat to high and add the chicken stock and water, bring to a boil. When boiling add the tortellini. Cook until just al dente. Remove from heat and stir in the chicken, spinach and herbs.
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
This hearty soup has less than 300 calories per serving.
Chicken Tortellini Soup will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
I don't recommend freezing this soup. UNLESS you wait to add the tortellini. Once the pasta is added it continues to soften and soak up the broth. If you freeze/thaw/reheat the pasta turns into mush.
Absolutely substituting turkey for chicken is a great variation, perfect for leftover turkey.
Finishing the soup with a sprinkle of minced parsley, fresh lemon juice, and freshly grated parmesan cheese makes it even tastier.
To switch this up to a creamy tortellini soup add a cup of heavy cream and simmer for 10 minutes before serving.
Refrigerate - Allow to cool completely; store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Freezer - I do not recommend freezing this soup. The pasta gets soft and mushy.
Reheat - on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Lasagna Soup Recipe - this hearty meal is like your very favorite pan lasagna but in soup form.
- Copycat Panera Chicken Soup Recipe - super simple and takes less than 30 minutes to make.
- If you're looking for a rich, creamy soup make the Potato Soup Recipe. Another 30-minute meal.
- This recipe for Chicken Tortellini Alfredo is easy and so delicious!
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
If you love this recipe please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating!
30 Minute Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 2 cups fresh spinach roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ cup dry tortellini *
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoon white wine *
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken shredded or cubed, can subs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon fresh herbs - basil, parsley and/or thyme * finely minced
- ½ lemon squeezed (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
I earn a commission from Instacart from qualifying purchases.
- Dice the onion, peel and dice the carrot, dice the celery, mince the garlic.
- Dice or shred the cooked chicken, give the spinach a rough chop, mince some fresh herbs.
- Heat a heavy bottom stock pot over medium heat. When hot, add a tablespoon of olive oil and then add the onions and carrots, sauté about three minutes, then add the celery.
- When the veggies are lightly browned (about five minutes total) add the minced garlic and give it a good stir. It will only take about 30 seconds and you'll begin to smell the garlic. Deglaze the pan with a splash of wine, scraping all of the lovely bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Increase the heat to high and add the chicken stock and water, bring it to a boil. When boiling add the tortellini. Follow the package directions and cook until just al dente.
- Remove from heat and stir in the chicken, spinach and herbs. Finish with a squeeze of lemon.