Remake your favorite comfort food meal into a hearty and delicious new dish! This quick and easy Lasagna Soup r
Lasagna Soup Recipe
This post has been sponsored by Farberware Cookware, however, all opinions are my own. #ad #Farberware #MyFamilyCooks
Lasagna is one of our favorite meals, but I confess, I don't make it often. In fact, I even tried a shortcut and got frozen lasagna and made the mistake of telling my friend Michelle what I did, boy did I get chewed out!
Michelle makes the BEST lasagna and shortly after buying the frozen lasagna (and the confession) we visited her. And of course she made homemade lasagna.
It is rich and cheesy, perfectly layered with homemade sauce and fresh pasta. Did I tell you Michelle is Italian? Oh that meal was heavenly!
There is n
I can't match her tasty meal, so instead I'm making it my way; into an easy lasagna soup!
Easy Lasagna Soup Recipe
What type of pasta do you use in lasagna soup?
campanellepasta - which has a tube shape with ruffled edges and closely resembles lasagna noodles
- broken lasagna - super tasty option
- conchiglie - more often known as shells or seashell pasta, inexpensive and readily available
- orecchiette - a small pasta about the size of your finger shaped like a cup, it collects the sauce and cheese perfectly!
- farfalle - bow tie pasta, always tasty and fun
- macaroni - delicious, affordable and easily available.
All of these varieties of pasta are great options! My favorite would be conchiglie closely followed by orecchiette pasta.
I like these because they both are shaped so they catch the sauce and make each spoonful that much more flavorful.
Believe it or not, the pasta I least prefer are the lasagna noodles. Even if you break them up, the pieces are such that they won't fit onto your soup spoon.
Also because they are all different sizes and shapes they won't cook evenly. When some pieces are done, others will be overdone. My two cents!
Can lasagna soup be frozen?
Yes, I've frozen it and it freezes really well. I usually ladle out a quart prior to the first meal and tuck it in the freezer for those days you don't feel like cooking!
Ingredients for Lasagna Soup Recipe
- ground beef - for hearty meatiness
- spaghetti sauce - using premade sauce makes this meal quick work!
- onion, garlic
andmushrooms - for freshness
- beef broth - adds richness to this hearty soup
- Italian seasoning - you'll need some extra spices to develop the flavor
- fire-roasted tomatoes - you can use diced tomatoes if you prefer
- ricotta cheese - for traditional flavor and cheesiness!
- pasta - you can use your pasta of preference, I use a smaller pasta so it easily fits on a spoon.
- optional garnish - pepper jack cheese
What pasta works best?
As mentioned above, you can certainly use what you have on-hand, but if you're at the store shopping there a few I'd choose over others.
- Orchiaetta - shaped in a small cup is great to hold the cheese and sauce.
- Bowtie - who doesn't love bowtie pasta? It's so fun to eat!
- Small Shells - readily available and affordable, a great choice.
- Rotini - curly and fun, it will hold it's share of sauce and cheese too!
Of course you can certainly break up lasagna noodles and use those. I choose not to because they just don't fit well on a spoon.
How long does it take to make easy lasagna soup?
About an hour from start to finish. This includes dicing the vegetables, sautéing the beef and bringing it all together.
It will be even better if you cook the body of the soup in the morning.
That way when you get home, you'll heat it up bringing it to the boil and add the pasta. When the pasta is done, stir in the ricotta cheese and your meal is ready in a snap!
How to make Easy Lasagna Soup
- Brown the ground beef and drain - season with Italian seasoning
- While it's cooking, dice the onion, mince the garlic and slice the mushrooms
- When the ground beef is cooked and drained, add the onion and mushrooms and saute. Next, add the garlic
- Add the spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, beef broth and water, then simmer for 30 minutes
- Bring to a boil and add the pasta - cook until al dente
- Remove from heat and stir in the ricotta cheese. Stir until melted - serve and enjoy!
Check out Homemade Soup; A Complete Guide for all of my tips and tricks to make the very best soups and stews! And if you're looking for great gifts be sure to check this out - 10 BEST Gifts for Cooking Soup!!!
Looking for more GREAT one pot soup recipes?
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
Oven Mitts - a great gift and you can never have too many, these are inexpensive and my favorite color!
If you post a photo, please tag me! I'd love to see your pictures! You can tag me with #bowlmeover or if you're on Instagram use @bowl_me_over I can't wait to see how yummy this turned out for you!
I would love it if you gave this recipe 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars!!
One Pot Lasagna Soup
Lasagna Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 24 oz. spaghetti sauce
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 14.5 oz fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 14.5 oz can beef broth
- 1 cup pasta
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Brown the ground beef, drain if desired.
- Add the Italian seasoning, sliced mushrooms and diced onions. Saute for 10 minutes. Add the garlic, saute for another minute or so. Just until the garlic is fragrant.
- Now add the liquid, spaghetti sauce, fire roasted tomatoes and beef broth. Stir well to combine.
- Increase the heat and bring it to a boil, cover loosely and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the pasta and cook uncovered until the pasta is al dente. remove from heat, stir in the ricotta cheese. Top with shredded mozzarella if desired.