The BEST Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe is filled with tender vegetables and it’s savory and delicious! Roasting the asparagus adds even more flavor and guilt-free because there’s no cream! Yukon gold potatoes are substituted make this soup luscious and creamy.
BEST Cream of Asparagus Soup
When I lived in Wisconsin I wanted to have my own garden. I planted a TON of asparagus hoping for a harvest of sweet tender stalks in the springtime.
Boy was I disappointed! Only a few spears came up! 🙁
It wasn’t until later I discovered it takes a couple of years before you can truly reap the harvest…. What can I say, this was (ahem…) a few years back and the internet wasn’t available!
Yes, I’m dating myself…. anyway 🤣🤣🤣
This is the BEST Cream of Asparagus Soup, hands down one of my favorites! It is one of my go-to recipes in the spring. Although asparagus is available year-round, the springtime harvest yields tender and delicious stalks!
Cream of Asparagus Recipe
You guys know I love soup year round. Even when it’s HOT here in the valley, I believe soup is good food! Some of my favorites in the summertime are these easy recipes – Vegetarian Potato Soup, Cream of Cauliflower Soup and Zucchini Parmesan Soup!!
You’re going to really enjoy this meal! It’s quick and easy to make, savory and mouthwateringly delicious! Let’s start with the basics;
How long do you roast the asparagus?
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Roast the asparagus for just 15 minutes.
Steps to make Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe
- Preheat the oven.
- Roasting the asparagus.
- Snap off the ends and lay the asparagus on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt & pepper. Roast for 15 minutes.
- While the asparagus is roasting, brown the bacon in a large stockpot over medium heat. Remove when crispy.
- Next, add the potatoes, onions, celery and season with black pepper. Saute for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add in the stock and about
three quartersof the chopped asparagus. Increase the heat and bring it to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer and continue cooking until the potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Blend the soup until it is creamy. Top with remaining asparagus and crumbled bacon.
- Taste & adjust seasonings, enjoy!
Asparagus is so good and has many amazing health benefits, it’s definitely a vegetable you’ll want to enjoy often.
And…. no cream, nope…. not a drop! The creaminess comes from Yukon Gold potatoes. The starch in the potatoes make the soup creamy and luscious. And even a bigger bonus? No peeling the taters. I appreciate that little timesaver too!
Can you boil asparagus in water?
- You bet. Although this soup calls for roasting the asparagus, if you’re short on time you can certainly eliminate that step and add all of the vegetables to the stock pot and cook them together. Make it both ways and compare which you enjoy most!
- Also, I’ve made this with frozen asparagus too, I’m telling you this soup is easy to make and versatile.
More AMAZING Soup Recipes!
- Vegetarian Asparagus Soup – all the flavor, in a light delicious soup!
- Roasted Tomato Vegetable Soup – another favorite, this one is perfect for summertime!
- Butternut Squash Bisque with Bacon – creamy with just a touch of spice!
- Cream of Cauliflower Soup – another amazing summertime soup that is ready in less than 30 minutes!
You know soup is my jam, right? Well if you want all of my soup-making tips and tricks? Be sure to click here!
Ok, are you ready to get cooking? Here’s the recipe for this delicious Asparagus Soup!!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
A submersion blender is a MUST HAVE in my kitchen. In
If you post a photo, please tag me! I’d love to see your pictures! You can tag me with #bowlmeover or if you’re on Instagram use @bowl_me_over I can’t wait to see how yummy this turned out for you!
Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe
- 2 lbs roasted asparagus
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, about 4 cups diced chopped into 1/2″ dice
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese or a rind Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper for roasting asparagus
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Start by roasting the asparagus – snap off the woody ends and reserve for vegetable stock or another use. Lay the asparagus spears on a cookie sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper. Put in the preheated oven for 15 minute. Remove from oven, allow to cool. When cool, cut into 1/4″ pieces.
- While the asparagus is cooking, brown the bacon in a large stockpot over medium heat. Remove when crispy, reserving the drippings.
- Next, add the potatoes, onions, celery and Parmesan cheese rind (if using shredded parmesan add this after adding the stock) and season with black pepper. Cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes, they will be slightly browned.
- Add in the stock and about 3/4 of the chopped asparagus. (Reserve adding salt and remaining asparagus until the end of the cooking process.) Increase the heat and bring it to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer and continue cooking until the potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Remove the remains of the Parmesan rind (it’s job is done!) If you’re using shredded parmesan, add it now and stir until incorporated.
- Using a submersion or stand blender, blend the soup until it is creamy.
- When the consistency is to your liking, taste & adjust seasonings, add salt if needed.
- Garnish with reserved asparagus and bacon crumbles. A drizzle of good olive oil adds so much flavor!