30 Minute Vegetarian Asparagus Soup – This rich, velvety soup has all the creaminess with NONE of the guilt! Yukon gold potatoes gives this soup the creamiest texture but there’s no cream! On your table in about 30 minutes it’s a great meal!
30 Minute Meal
You know I’m all about the quick and easy right? When that comes in the form of a great bowl of soup, that makes it that much better!
This delicious vegetarian soup comes together in 30 minutes. It’s easy to make and so good, seconds are a given! If you’re looking for the BEST meal but you don’t want to spend all the kitchen – start here!
What you need and all my tips and tricks to make this soup!
Ingredients for this recipe
- asparagus, onion and celery – plenty of vegetables for this delicious meal!
- Yukon gold potatoes – I specify Yukon gold potatoes because they add a creamy texture without adding any cream. This is a guilt-free soup!
- vegetable broth – chicken or veggie broth are perfect for this recipe.
- Parmesan cheese – never throw away the rind of the cheese, it’s full of flavor and perfect for many soup and stews. If you don’t have a rind, then simply use grated parm.
- salt, pepper and red pepper flakes – spices to flavor the soup
- olive oil – for roasting the asparagus
Is asparagus soup good for you?
This soup is a great addition to your meal plan. No cream, so you’ve alleviated calories and fat. Additionally because asparagus is full of fiber this is a hearty soup!
How long does asparagus soup last in the fridge?
It will last about three to four days refrigerated. Of course you’ll eat it way before then!
Can you freeze this soup?
I recommend against freezing any soup that contains potatoes. When thawed you’re left with a mealy texture. It’s best to eat this soup while it’s fresh.
For all of my tips to make the BEST Homemade Soups and Stews, click here!
How do you prepare the asparagus?
Normally when you’re cooking asparagus you’ll trim off the woody ends. Because the soup will be pureed that step is not necessary! You’ll simply wash the vegetable prior to roasting.
Here’s how to make it!
Steps to make soup
- Preheat the oven. Season and roast the asparagus, remove from oven, allow to cool.
- When cool, cut into 1″ pieces, reserving the tops of the asparagus for garnish.
- Add the vegetables and parmesan, season and cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Add the stock. Increase the heat and bring it to a boil then simmer and continue cooking until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove the Parmesan rind and discard. Add in the roasted asparagus, blend until creamy. When the consistency is to your liking add the asparagus tops back in the soup.
- Taste & adjust seasonings – serve and enjoy!
What to serve with this meal
Biscuits and rolls would be my first choice! You could make homemade cheesy cheddar biscuits while the soup is cooking and let me tell you, they are mouthwatering!!
- Easy Dinner Rolls – great side dish, fresh baked bread always goes well with soup!
- Cuban Sliders – make-ahead sliders and the leftovers are delicious too!
- Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread – a little butter on top with a drizzle of honey? Heavenly!
More great Soup Recipes!
If you’ve followed the blog long, you’ll know that soup is definitely my jam! Doesn’t matter the time of year, if it’s hot or cold out, we eat soup all year long. If you’re looking for a great comforting meal, look no further!
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Some of the items below contain affiliate links, however, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
Don’t forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products! 🛍️
- extra large bamboo cutting board – perfect for cutting veggies!
- soup and side bowls – I have two sets of these bowls and we love them!
- Farberware Glide Cookware Set – easy to use, these are an affordable set and I’ve even given this set as a gift!
If you post a photo, please tag me! I’d love to see your pictures! You can tag me with #bowlmeover or if you’re on Instagram use @bowl_me_over I can’t wait to see how yummy this turned out for you!
I would love it if you gave this recipe 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars!!
Vegetarian Asparagus Soup Recipe
- 2 lbs roasted asparagus
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes chopped into 1/2 pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 rind Parmesan cheese or one cup shredded Parmesan
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- salt and pepper about 1/2 each for seasoning asparagus
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Start by roasting the asparagus – Lay the asparagus spears on a cookie sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Put in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, stirring once during roasting. Remove from oven, allow to cool. When cool, cut into 1" pieces, reserving the tops of the asparagus for garnish.
- For the soup, add one tablespoon olive oil to a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the potatoes, onions, celery and Parmesan cheese rind (if using shredded Parmesan, add it right before pureeing the soup),
- Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Add the vegetable stock. Increase the heat and bring it to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer and continue cooking until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Remove the Parmesan rind and discard. Add in the roasted asparagus (reserving the tops). Using a submersion blender, blend the soup until it is creamy. When the consistency is to your liking add the asparagus tops back in the soup.
- Taste & adjust seasonings – you may need to add a bit of salt.