Vegetarian Asparagus Soup – All the cream with NONE of the guilt! Yukon gold potatoes gives this soup the creamiest texture but there’s no added cream. Perfect for using the delicious fresh asparagus at the farmer’s market, healthy and delicious! And on your table in about 30 minutes? Perfect!
- 2 lbs roasted asparagus
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes chopped into 1/2 pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 rind Parmesan cheese or one cup shredded Parmesan
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- salt and pepper about 1/2 each for seasoning asparagus
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Start by roasting the asparagus - snap off the woody ends and reserve for vegetable stock or another use. Lay the asparagus spears on a cookie sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper. Put in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, stirring once during roasting. Remove from oven, allow to cool. When cool, cut into 1" pieces, reserving the tops of the asparagus.
- While the asparagus is roasting, add one tablespoon olive oil to a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the potatoes, onions, celery and Parmesan cheese rind (if using shredded Parmesan, add it right before pureeing the soup), red pepper flakes 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Add in the vegetable stock (refrain adding additional salt until the end of the cooking process as the Parmesan cheese is quite salty). Increase the heat and bring it to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer and continue cooking until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Remove the Parmesan rind (it's job is done!). Add in the roasted asparagus (reserving the tops). Using a submersion blender, blend the soup until it is creamy. I like it not totally creamy, but still with some chunks in it as you can see it is pictured. When the consistency is to your liking add the asparagus tops back in the soup. Taste & adjust seasonings - you may need to add a bit of salt.
- Ok - I know this calls for no cream, but if you want to richen it up - add a 1/2 cup half & half and a tablespoon of butter....that will do the trick! ;D